Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Courtesy Cars!

sarahlegs

For all the people that treat courtesy cars with disdain, how would you feel if one of the dealers employees treated your car the same?

Techinically it was a rental car when my mk6 broke down - and I didn't treat it with disdain at all, I loved it.

Also, I know how their employees treated the cars too as one of them picked my up to collect it in a brand new civic and ragged the hell out of it!

The fastest car in the world is a rental car. :D

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KeithC

• AndrewL

• Michael P

• thesilverfox

For all the people that treat courtesy cars with disdain, how would you feel if one of the dealers employees treated your car the same?

such a miserable person :lol:

such a miserable person :lol:

Why, because I respect other peoples property?

That's one of the main problems today and it makes my poo itch, kids, such as yourself, have no respect for other peoples property and that's why I had a little giggle to myself when I read someone had kicked in your fog light, you know, what goes around, comes around.

But hey, bet you wasn't miserable when that happened, was you!

That's one of the main problems today and it makes my poo itch, kids, such as yourself, have no respect for other peoples property and that's why I had a little giggle to myself when I read someone had kicked in your fog light, you know, what goes around, comes around.

That's not a very impressive thing to say.

That's not a very impressive thing to say.

I'm not here to impress!

I just find it funny, that someone who thinks it's funny to disrepect other people's property, then has their property disrespected, it's kind of like karma.

It's a bit like a clip I watched the other day, when a couple of fellas were planning a happy slapping incident with someone else over the road filming it. These two fellas picked on a couple and one of them through a swinging arm at the woman as they walked past. The bloke with the woman proceeded to beat seven kinds of cack out of the 2 "happy slappers" and I laughed at that too. But you saying I shouldn't because this fella physically beat these other two guys.

I agree with you KeithC on this one! I know that if anyone drove my car other than me and whoever else is insured on it in a unruly manner then i would be absolutely furious. I know it's a !Removed! little MK4 but its MY !Removed! little MK4 and i would only treat someone elses car whatever the case with more care than my own

I'm not here to impress!

I just find it funny, that someone who thinks it's funny to disrepect other people's property, then has their property disrespected, it's kind of like karma.

It's a bit like a clip I watched the other day, when a couple of fellas were planning a happy slapping incident with someone else over the road filming it. These two fellas picked on a couple and one of them through a swinging arm at the woman as they walked past. The bloke with the woman proceeded to beat seven kinds of cack out of the 2 "happy slappers" and I laughed at that too. But you saying I shouldn't because this fella physically beat these other two guys.

How can you possibly compare the two situations!?

One is just having some fun whilst driving a car owned by a large corporation who get paid a fortune for their services.

The other is mindless damage on someones property for no good reason.

People treat their cars like this anyway - sometimes I rag my car around a bit, thats what it's there for - you own an m3, do you never have fun in it? You can take your car to a track day and mess around - a lot of people do, whereas there's no such thing as a 'smash your car up day'. The two situations are a world apart in my opinion.

I agree with you KeithC on this one! I know that if anyone drove my car other than me and whoever else is insured on it in a unruly manner then i would be absolutely furious. I know it's a !Removed! little MK4 but its MY !Removed! little MK4 and i would only treat someone elses car whatever the case with more care than my own

Exactly Michael, It doesn't matter what anything is worth, it's about having respect for others. People who rag round in hire/rental cars are showing complete disrespect for the owners of said car.

How can you possibly compare the two situations!?

Although they are at opposite ends of the scale, principally they are both morally wrong, it's as simple as that. Are you telling me you have never laughed at something you know you probably shouldn't?

One is just having some fun whilst driving a car owned by a large corporation who get paid a fortune for their services.

It depends what one calls fun! Handbrake turns, J turns, ragging the knackers off it isn't fun to the owner of said car, or else they would put it in the T&C. The fact that it's a large corporation that earns a fortune has nothing to do with it, it is still wrong and disrespectful.

The other is mindless damage on someones property for no good reason.

Care to expand on the good reason for doing the above stuff in a hire/courtesy car, sorry, but fun just doesn't cut it.

People treat their cars like this anyway - sometimes I rag my car around a bit, thats what it's there for

That's YOUR car, you can do with it what you like as long as it doesn't have an averse effect on others. You pay for it, you're more than welcome to abuse it. Hiring a car does not give you the right to abuse it.

- you own an m3, do you never have fun in it? You can take your car to a track day and mess around - a lot of people do

Yes I do and yes I do, but I have never abused it and if I was to do, then as Michael said earlier, it's MY car, I can do with it as I want.

, whereas there's no such thing as a 'smash your car up day'. The two situations are a world apart in my opinion.

Wrong is wrong no matter what the situation is. If he thinks I'm a miserable sod for respecting other's property then I have every right to have a giggle to myself about his property being disrespected and that's what it boils down to. I don't for one minute think it's right, justifiable or anything else what they did to his car, but it's one of those situations where you think you !Removed! hypocrite. The actions of some people when they drive courtesy/hire cars can have far more financial consequences to the owner than a replacement light lens so don't marginalise the actions of these idiots.

Exactly Michael, It doesn't matter what anything is worth, it's about having respect for others. People who rag round in hire/rental cars are showing complete disrespect for the owners of said car.

Agreement ahoy!

How exactly do you quantify what damage to a vehicle is?

Everytime I have had a hire or courtesy car there has been a £500 excess on whatever policy they use to insure it. Everytime I have handed the car back it has been perfectly driveable, as clean as it was and had as much fuel in the tank as it had when I got it. Hence it was deemed to be in a perfectly good condition when it was returned and no excess charges have been incurred (over the frankly ludicrous initial rental costs e.g. £1600 for a 1.2 Corsa for 3 weeks).

Nobody cherishes these vehicles. If I was driving one of your cars then obviously I would treat it as I do my own. However, the fact of the matter is rental and courtesy cars don't belong to any person and aren't loved, they're just a means of making some rich people richer.

The fact that someone kicked in my fog light has to do with on-going issues in the area where i live keith so i suggest you keep your ******* nose out as you have no idea of anyones situation, your so far up your own !Removed! like when you were ******** about installing bluetooth; a factory order was not feasible for everyone but you seem to think your word is god, you don't know people situations so don't make statements like that.

It makes me laugh that your saying people are disrespecting courtesy cars by 'ragging' them, at the end of the day these cars are designed and manufactured to be able to cope way past any 'ragging' that anyone could do to it. It also makes me laugh as you refer to us as 'kids' yet you made one of the most childish remarks i've seen on this forum that you laughed at other people bad fortune, ill be honest you sound like an absolute **** (and yes i will have a warning for swearing from the admins).

The fact that someone kicked in my fog light has to do with on-going issues in the area where i live keith so i suggest you keep your !Removed! nose out as you have no idea of anyones situation, your so far up your own !Removed! like when you were bitching about installing bluetooth; a factory order was not feasible for everyone but you seem to think your word is god, you don't know people situations so don't make statements like that.

It makes me laugh that your saying people are disrespecting courtesy cars by 'ragging' them, at the end of the day these cars are designed and manufactured to be able to cope way past any 'ragging' that anyone could do to it. It also makes me laugh as you refer to us as 'kids' yet you made one of the most childish remarks i've seen on this forum that you laughed at other people bad fortune, ill be honest you sound like an absolute !Removed! (and yes i will have a warning for swearing from the admins).

Wind your neck in you foul mouth boy as you obviously haven't got a clue what you're talking about when it comes to cars, engine life and respecting other peoples property.

If you can't take it, don't give it.

How exactly do you quantify what damage to a vehicle is?

Everytime I have had a hire or courtesy car there has been a £500 excess on whatever policy they use to insure it. Everytime I have handed the car back it has been perfectly driveable, as clean as it was and had as much fuel in the tank as it had when I got it. Hence it was deemed to be in a perfectly good condition when it was returned and no excess charges have been incurred (over the frankly ludicrous initial rental costs e.g. £1600 for a 1.2 Corsa for 3 weeks).

Nobody cherishes these vehicles. If I was driving one of your cars then obviously I would treat it as I do my own. However, the fact of the matter is rental and courtesy cars don't belong to any person and aren't loved, they're just a means of making some rich people richer.

Honestly, I give up.

That TV in Comet doesn't belong to any one person, so I'll just nip in and pinch it.

Just because you can't see damage does not mean damage hasn't been done.

Listen, you're digging a big hole in this debate , the more you talk, the deeper you go.

Wind your neck in you foul mouth boy as you obviously haven't got a clue what you're talking about when it comes to cars, engine life and respecting other peoples property.

If you can't take it, don't give it.

I fail to see what I give tbh to warrant your frankly disgusting reply that you laughed, and who made you the genius who knows the answer to everything on cars your not always right, when cars are designed they are designed and manufactured to withstand any abuse you can give, if you disagree with this your an idiot, the 1.6 Zetec S will be limited by Ford, you think they tested it just to this limit? no they test it beyond what you can do to it, so when your bitching that people are 'ragging' courtesy cars they are built to take it.

I fail to see what I give tbh to warrant your frankly disgusting reply that you laughed,

OK, let's get this straight, it's alright for you to laugh (hence you calling me miserable) at others disrespecting others people's property, but not me? That's what I call hypocrisy. Oh, and get over yourself oh precious one, I had a giggle to myself, I didn't go and start a thread about how funny it was.

when cars are designed they are designed and manufactured to withstand any abuse you can give, if you disagree with this your an idiot, the 1.6 Zetec S will be limited by Ford, you think they tested it just to this limit? no they test it beyond what you can do to it, so when your bitching that people are 'ragging' courtesy cars they are built to take it.

So, I'll ask the same question which was my opening point again and this is to you, I would like an answer if you're capable, how would you feel if you saw your car being wheelspun down the high street banging off the rev limiter, if it was in a garage's possession, bearing in mind, these cars, in your words, "are built to take it".

See, this is the problem, I don't recall suggesting that ragging the car would blow it up, but if you drive a car at high revs from cold and it spends most of the time at high revs (hence ragging it), then you decrease it's longevity, that's a a fact. Add to that the suspension, brakes, tyres, clutch and other wear and tear items, means they will have to be replaced sooner, costing the owner more financial outlay.

Honestly, I give up.

That TV in Comet doesn't belong to any one person, so I'll just nip in and pinch it.

Just because you can't see damage does not mean damage hasn't been done.

Listen, you're digging a big hole in this debate , the more you talk, the deeper you go.

You're manipulating the things that I'm saying and taking them out of context. At no point did I say that as a rental car doesn't belong to any single person it would be fair to steal one! I was making a point that no little old lady owner is going to get upset if I thrape a rental car, or even the staff who work there for that matter seeing as they do the same themselves in my experience.

I understand the point that you're making that this treatment could lead to a shorter life expectancy of certain components of the car, which is probably why they're sold off cheap at the end of their rental life as nobody wants to buy them.

The rental company make a lot of money, I have some fun driving the car. What's the problem?

I had a courtesy car once. It was a rubbish Kia and the told me they wanted at least half full when I returmed it! Cheeky Peeps! It was just over a quarter when they gave it to me.

To add, I'm not a mod but there's an awful lot of provocation and 'taking the bait' going on here, saying that I'm all for a decent debate but lets keep it civil.

If we start swearing and name calling it just ruins it.

to be honest i think we should get back to the original topic as its abit to far now.

if you have problems then please keep them to PM's

Woooo down boys!!!!!! And we wonder why there's so much road rage ! lol

On to the original topic, i was well annoyed with my courtesy car, it was one of the ugly boxy fiestas, 58 reg, but worse of all it was filthy and there was a piece of wood in the boot...?? :lol:

There's a fine line being trodden here.

Ragging a courtesy car, is not illegal. Damaging someone's property or stealing it, however, is.

I understand principally why these are being compared, but if no physical damage is caused to the courtesy car (i.e., no excess charged), how someone drives it isn't so much of an issue - so long as they don't break the law in it. At least that's my opinion. Handbrake turns, etc - well, if you wouldn't do it in your car, don't do it in another. The same applies for how the interior of th car is treated too.

However, pushing an engine hard and pushing the car to its limits (i.e. my perception of 'ragging'), is something I'd happily do in mine if I felt like it and it was within the boundaries of the law, so if a rental car operates to the same limits, it's not such a big deal.

M3 or Zetec-S - I bet neither owner can even entertain the notion that they have never broken the law in their own vehicles. But I bet both can say that they've not deliberately damaged another person's car and laughed.

*snip*

Directed at me? I hope not - I made a pefectly valid point. The perceived 'ragging' and actually damaging are different things.