Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recommended Coolant change period

Ford_lover38

I was wondering at what mileage/intervals Ford recommend having the coolant in your car flushed? I last had my coolant changed a couple of years ago and wonder if its time to change it again. I drive a 1.6 Petrol focus 2009.

Thanks

I do mine every 4 years or so. (pink) but when I replace I make sure it's good to at least - 15 on the tester. I did it when we bought the car in July 2011, then around August 2015. It got done last year when I had cambelt/waterpump change. I won't have it long enough now for another.... 

1 hour ago, martyntdci said:

I do mine every 4 years or so. (pink) but when I replace I make sure it's good to at least - 15 on the tester. I did it when we bought the car in July 2011, then around August 2015. It got done last year when I had cambelt/waterpump change. I won't have it long enough now for another.

where did you get a tester from that shows numbers I wouldn't mind one thanks 😊

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

i got mine from aldi/lidl last yr for around £3 they should be having them back in the stores again soon now the weather finally gone cold.

same sort of item can be found on ebay  eBay item number:361828352642

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, andypsp said:

i got mine from aldi/lidl last yr for around £3 they should be having them back in the stores again soon now the weather finally gone cold.

same sort of item can be found on ebay  eBay item number:361828352642

thanks for the eBay number

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

Just watch out with those testers, I've read somewhere they can be very unreliable.  I've had some strange readings on mine too!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/60400/best-coolant-testers-2018

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Just watch out with those testers, I've read somewhere they can be very unreliable.  I've had some strange readings on mine too!

I just took a look and its the one with the balls that float which is as you say unreliable I keep a lookout in aldi

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ford_lover38 said:

I was wondering at what mileage/intervals Ford recommend having the coolant in your car flushed? I last had my coolant changed a couple of years ago and wonder if its time to change it again. I drive a 1.6 Petrol focus 2009.

Thanks

Official change interval is 10 years 

• Like 2

Tbh I don't think anybody does it a 10yrs, that seems like a long time between changes

• Like 2

do mine every 5 years its cheap enough 😊

• Like 2

My mondeo is 13 years old, I’ve owned it for 8 years and to the best of my knowledge it’s never been changed lol. 

• Like 1

***** Nora stef I wouldnt dare lol. Knowing me that would go t1ts up. When it comes to things I have like a ocd so I make sure they get done regular. Same as brake fluid once every 2 years. Fuel filter once a year etc... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Never changed mine on my fiesta mk6 and as far as I’m aware my 2008 focus has never lost any so hasn’t been changed either 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I must waste too much money

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Modern coolants have much more corrosion inhibiting properties. In most cases where I’ve replaced radiators it’s been because the corrosion from the outside has eaten through them. Lost count of how many Vauxhall radiators I’ve done now lol. 

Coolant is one of those things I rarely find people asking to be replaced. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your response guys! The coolant looks nice and clean like when I last changed in two years ago. Judging from your experiences there is no point changing it lol

• Like 6

Still tho, the pink has a 5 year life and the blue has like 2.  Well the stuff I get from euro anyway lol.  

• Like 3

Some engines like the ecoboost benefit from a reduced change interval due to the higher coolant temps involved.

In 38 yrs I've never changed coolant on any of my cars except for my current focus ecoboost, and only did it when I changed my degas hoses recently with fords own coolant I happen to have in my garage. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, martyntdci said:

Still tho, the pink has a 5 year life and the blue has like 2.  Well the stuff I get from euro anyway lol.  

I’m on 13 now, so says who :lol: 

in all seriousness, do as I say not as I do (or as Ian says) and stick to the Manufacturer’s guidelines. 

My wifes car gets its coolant changed every 4 years when I do the timing belt. I chuck a new pump on too so system gets drained. I done my van in the summer, that’ll probably be scrapped before it needs changing again lol. 

• Like 4

If you are using Ford's super plus premium (pink) - 10 years or 120k miles. All others 5 years 60 kmiles (level of G12+ or G13+).

2 hours ago, Russ said:

£22.30 and free delivery on Amazon just now 👍🏼

think I might get some of this thanks 😊

• Like 1

I'm another one for only changing coolant when the waterpump is changed.  It's such a pain to dispose of it's really not worth doing it unnecessarily.

Also depends how long you expect the car to last as to which one to choose...20 years is unlikely for a modern car, so when I changed the cambelt kit on the Mk2 (10 years) I went for some non-Ford 5 year pink stuff personally...I seriously doubt it'll even still be on the road by then lol.