Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wash Mitt & Drying Towel Preferences?

TomsFocus

I know it belongs in the detailing forum but we all know no one looks in there. :tongue:

Struggling to find any bday gift ideas to ask for this year but my 10 year old mitt & towel could do with replacement so thats a possibility...however there seems to be far too many options to chose from these days...would like your opinion on them!

For the mitt, I want something that will last for years and can be chucked in the washing machine, so not lambs wool!  Would like a soft one after 10 years of a noodle mitt though, so looking at the Auto finesse microfibre (grey) mitt, if anyone has an opinion on that.

For the towel, I'm currently using a smallish waffle weave which I've never been a fan of.  Want some thing long pile and large to soak up plenty of water.  And again something durable that can be chucked in the washing machine.  Looking at the Auto Finesse (green/blue) microfibre towel.

So any advice appreciated really, I've looked at various reviews but still none the wiser on which suits me best lol!  

It would be a gift so I'm not looking for absolute cheapest which is how I usually buy stuff lol, still would think £20 for the 2 is a reasonable budget.

Cheers

Tom

Not everyone looks on this section as well 🤣.

Wash mitt I'd say any microfiber one. I have the gtechniq wm2 wash mitt. Rag master do one which I think is cheaper. 

The best drying towel I've heard and have myself is the kkd silverback. Can absorb a lot of water I'd say can dry 5 cars. Best drying technique is to put the towel on the paintwork and blop it then take off. 

• Thanks 1

Haha, very true, I should have stuck it in the Focus or Fiesta section! :laugh:

Hadnt heard of the silverback towel but just googled it, looks just what I'm after so have made a note of that!

I had seen the GTecnic mitt and it seems to come midway in reviews, it's a contender but is a bit expensive compared to similar ones as you say.

Tbh I thought @TimST2 might have had an opinion for this thread... :wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ha! I hadn't actually seen it.

I don't actually have much to say on the subject other than I probably ought to replace mine too. From another thread:

But things might have moved on now?

27 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

But things might have moved on now?

Apparently not: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/85240/best-car-wash-mitts-2019

One of the reasons I've had mine so long is that it's washable and doesn't seem to have deteriorated at all.

On the subject of drying towels, I don't actually have one! I use aqua wax after every wash, and for that you just use microfibre cloths: https://www.autoglym.com/blog/2018/07/17/rapid-aqua-wax-an-appreciation/

• Like 1

That autoglym aqua wax doesn't look bad. 

Here's the rag companies product 

https://www.ragmasteruk.co.uk/accessories/

I mainly don't really use the drying towel as I normally wash the car during the summer as I'm off from uni. During the summer the water evaporates quickly leaving mineral deposits. The best product I use to remove that is Koch chemie fse. You spray on the panel, leave for about 10 seconds and wipe off. Actually adds a lot of gloss to the paint as well. DSC_0252.thumb.JPG.9557f7523e4a50cebcf17c8c556a70e2.JPG

The drying towel though I used back in December when it was cold and forgot how good it was. 

@TimST2 I do it the long way and apply by hand 🤣. Use petes 53 wax and fusso coat. DSC_0469.thumb.JPG.e897faa733eadd0983de30c219736d14.JPG

The drying towel is the dark one under the pile. DSC_0247.thumb.JPG.d749e1b0df722a05fd7d2ad36c3ed457.JPG

• Like 1

That autoglym aqua wax doesn't look bad.  [mention=98787]TimST2[/mention] I do it the long way and apply by hand [emoji1787].

Yeah, but I'm lazy and draw the line at spending more than 3 hours cleaning a car (including the interior) [emoji1787] 

You put much more effort in than me. How often do you wash yours? I wash mine about once a month, with a pressure wash in between during the Winter months to get the salt off...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, TimST2 said:

Apparently not: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/85240/best-car-wash-mitts-2019

One of the reasons I've had mine so long is that it's washable and doesn't seem to have deteriorated at all.

On the subject of drying towels, I don't actually have one! I use aqua wax after every wash, and for that you just use microfibre cloths: https://www.autoglym.com/blog/2018/07/17/rapid-aqua-wax-an-appreciation/

Yeah, it's the Auto express test that I'd read a few times.  Didn't really want another noodle mit though.  My current one has separated inside making it hard to use, some noodles have fallen apart so are twice as long and get caught in panel gaps, the sponge has disintergrated and drops lumps all over the microfibres when washed.  The Kent one us very cheap though...and the reviewers obviously like it!

They also rate the Kent drying towel, but it seems too small and not very absorbent when looking at the actual figures...  I've wondered if they're sponsored by Kent tbh!

16 hours ago, TimST2 said:

Yeah, but I'm lazy and draw the line at spending more than 3 hours cleaning a car (including the interior) emoji1787.png 

You put much more effort in than me. How often do you wash yours? I wash mine about once a month, with a pressure wash in between during the Winter months to get the salt off...

I wash mine once a month also however during uni I only get to clean it during half term holidays. With me I clean the interior on a separate day. 

I get my product opinion from this youtuber called forensic detailing. That's where I heard about products which aren't really talked about. 

• Like 1

I find the best way of keeping the interior clean is to not take any passengers... :wink:

I just vac the driver's seat and footwell, and the boot carpet.  Then dust the dash.  Probably only do that once every couple of months if that lol.  The rest stays clean and tidy!

If someone else has had to drive the car (MOT time) then I'll get the anti bacterial wipes out and do all the controls lol.

24 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I find the best way of keeping the interior clean is to not take any passengers... :wink:

Too right!

Taking out the drivers foot well mat every week and brushing it off does wonders too...

12 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

Yeah, it's the Auto express test that I'd read a few times.  Didn't really want another noodle mit though.  My current one has separated inside making it hard to use, some noodles have fallen apart so are twice as long and get caught in panel gaps, the sponge has disintergrated and drops lumps all over the microfibres when washed.  The Kent one us very cheap though...and the reviewers obviously like it

After our discussion about this yesterday I put mine through the wash and had a good look at it tonight. It's like new, despite having been used for 4 years (and we have 3 cars). I guess I won't be buying another one any time soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimST2 said:

Too right!

Taking out the drivers foot well mat every week and brushing it off does wonders too...

Funny thing is sometimes the driver footwell is more clean than the passenger one. Actually pad out off the mats of any dirt however a hoover works best. 

10 hours ago, TimST2 said:

After our discussion about this yesterday I put mine through the wash and had a good look at it tonight. It's like new, despite having been used for 4 years (and we have 3 cars). I guess I won't be buying another one any time soon!

Tbf, mine is more than twice as old lol, it was Turtlewax branded but they're probably all made in the same place.  Maybe the manufacturing process has improved since...  

When I machine wash my clothes I clean it at 50C. Lastly leave it to tumble dry for about 20 mins (depends on how hot the machine can make it). Tumble drying it makes the clothes all fluffy again. Also use a non bio soap. 

2 hours ago, zain611 said:

When I machine wash my clothes I clean it at 50C. Lastly leave it to tumble dry for about 20 mins (depends on how hot the machine can make it). Tumble drying it makes the clothes all fluffy again. Also use a non bio soap. 

The mitt or the towel?  I tend to wash clothes & car stuff at 30c to save electric, and dry on a rack as well.  60c & tumble drying is reserved for the things I want disinfected like towels and bedding once a week.

2 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The mitt or the towel?  I tend to wash clothes & car stuff at 30c to save electric, and dry on a rack as well.  60c & tumble drying is reserved for the things I want disinfected like towels and bedding once a week.

I wash both. I don't think for too long you should tumble dry as you might get linting 

My drier is part of a washer dryer combi so there's not much control over it unfortunately...first time I tried a pair of jeans in it they came out about the right size for Action Man... :laugh: 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2019 at 10:03 PM, TimST2 said:

Incredible really.

ec5f04d0c09da638ffcb681d35da7e5f.jpg 257ce2b8f2b846ead5b208fbe4709509.jpg

13 minutes ago, TimST2 said:

Incredible really.ec5f04d0c09da638ffcb681d35da7e5f.jpg257ce2b8f2b846ead5b208fbe4709509.jpg

I use one of these to wash mine and i should say mine needs a replace,i use a kent cloth or asda own orange cloth as its thick and massive and does the job well.

I hold my hands up....i take less time on it now having it over 4 years and a 2011,it comes up great and i always wash it myself but i did use to buy loads of stuff.

Sometimes its just a wash and rinse job and no dry.