Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot latch clicking/battery drain

JimJim1964

Hi all..I have been having trouble with battery going flat in 06 focus.I had the battery checked,altenator checked,and both are ok..Just today I find the boot wont lock,and clicks when its is open..Is it possible that if it is not closing properly,that it could drain the battery..I did get a message yesterday in the message centre on dash, to say boot luggage is open..I have been having battery problems for a while now..Its a keyless entry...Any information would be great..Thanks Jimmy..

if your boot doesn't close the light inside the boot would stay on and drain the battery 

• Like 1

I had a previous car this was an issue. Quickest check is to knock down one of the rear seats, close the boot, and see if your light stays on...

The light is not on....would that be the only way the bad latch would drain the battery? Thanks for the replies...

When you say clicking it sounds like the locking mechanism is permanently trying to open and imagine that would waste the power do the lights flash when it clicks?

• Like 1

Unless you are handy with a multi meter, the best course of action is to pony up for an hours specialiust auto electrician and get them to check things out - will save you much time and hassle in the long run...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F0CUE said:

When you say clicking it sounds like the locking mechanism is permanently trying to open and imagine that would waste the power do the lights flash when it clicks?

It was actually open.I was taking some stuff from the boot..and could hearvthe clicking from the latch overhead..It will close,but when i lock car with fob,the boot stays unlocked

3 minutes ago, JimJim1964 said:

It was actually open.I was taking some stuff from the boot..and could hearvthe clicking from the latch overhead..

I think you've just answered your own question. If the solenoid in the latch is continuously clicking, there is obviously a fault, and obviously a continuing drain on your battery. At least it should be fairly straight forward to execute a fix.

• Like 2

Well it wouldnt be clicking all the time,...It wouldnt be clicking when closed,but wont lock..do you think it could be draining,when the boot is closedand no clicking?

Like I said Jim, an auto spark could test this in moments, and being a Ford rather than some exotic Italian brand, will likely have the capacity to execute a repair. Once an electrical component goes faulty, it could well be a persistnat drain, then again, it may not. That's why it's futile to keep guessing without some proper diagnostic...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Like I said Jim, an auto spark could test this in moments, and being a Ford rather than some exotic Italian brand, will likely have the capacity to execute a repair. Once an electrical component goes faulty, it could well be a persistnat drain, then again, it may not. That's why it's futile to keep guessing without some proper diagnostic...

Thanks Stephen..It is probably the easy and faster way to find the problem.

Just an update to my post.I went to an auto electric guy,he said he could do a scan for problems,but it could throw up loads of problems,so I didnt do that..So what I did was remove negative battery lead for a while..The boot will now lock,when I use the fob,I can open any door when I have the fob on me,except drivers door,which is not a problem really...It takes a little longer to unlock steering for some reason..

On 1/26/2019 at 9:48 PM, StephenFord said:

Does your battery still drain?

Last wednesday when I got the battery checked and also altenator..They guy said the battery i got in july was faulty..he put in a new one..I drive the car on saturday..didnt drive yesterday,I go to drive today..the battery is totally dead..New battery dead in a day....

Please refer to my previous advice. Go to a proper Auto spark, (not the one that couln't be arsed becasue it may throw up some errors) and they'll diagnose what the fault is - you definitely have a fault, and all the speculating on this forum ain't going to fix it!

• Like 2

its quite common the boot latch plays up.... I read a fair few titles, never got in to why, electronic boot catches are only there to help fords profits and no one elses.  Vaux insignia is std to cause issues, most likely time related DTF rather than use....