Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3

nashdm2

Hi Guys, just purchased a new Festa which is due for delivery in early March.

I have so many questions for you all, but, lets start with this one.

The car comes with a Sync 3 system.

My questions are as follows?

1.  Am I right in thinking this is a HDD system and not a SD card system?

2.  How are new maps updated? Are they over air of via a wifi connection?

3.  The safety camera (Hazard spots) database, are they updated via a different method or via a new map update?

Thanks in advance guys,

Dave

Hi Dave 

Yes, the maps are stored on the HDD

Updates are carried out by downloading the update (F8 is the latest) onto a 32G USB flash drive and then plug it into the cars USB port, takes aprox 80mins I’m told. Updates are free on Sync3

i think the camera database is part of the map update.

jon

16 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

Hi Guys, just purchased a new Festa which is due for delivery in early March.

I have so many questions for you all, but, lets start with this one.

The car comes with a Sync 3 system.

Hi Dave, just to add a couple of points.

Wi-Fi updates - my car reports regularly that it has checked for updates but has never updated. At least one guy on here has been told by Ford that this feature is not currently working in UK.

Sync 3 generally - there is a lengthy thread "Fiesta Mk 8 Sat nav GPS issues//fault" which is currently on page 5 of this Forum, plus lots of other Sync 3 threads which you might want to take a look at. 

4 hours ago, Sjwhite said:

F8? I thought F7 was the latest, when did you get F8?

I need to update my Sync unit again before I can download the map update however on the Mondeo Mk5 UK Facebook page there are a few people upgrading to F8, it was released this week I believe.

731D544A-4105-4278-A438-402C8984B436.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up on the F8, the F7 seemed to only have came out a little while ago so nice to see Ford releasing updates frequently!

4 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

@alexp999 have you upgraded to F8 yet?

@Sjwhite I've done a bit of searching and it seems the update came out in the last 2 days! https://www.fordhacks.com/news/14-sync-3/37-new-european-f8-maps-spotted

Thanks for the search that is recent.

• Like 1

Hi All

Just update to maps F8 but did not get an xls file to update Ford. Anyone have this problem.

When I updated to Maps F7 from files I downloaded from the internet (not Ford update website) I didn't get an xls file then. After a couple of months of checking the Ford website said my maps were up to date.

Have you checked all the folders on the flash drive? I was told it was in a sub folder but I'll check with someone I know who just did theirs.

I have to update the actual sync3 unit before it will give me the option to download the F8 maps. I'm sure I've got the most up to date version but I didn't load the file to tell ford and I just formatted the stick, doh!

I have checked all the folders, log file definitely not in any folder or sub-folder.

Looking at the instruction sheets for updating, in the FAQ section, there is reference to missing or deleted log file.

The answer to which is "If the file is not created or deleted by mistake you can download the logging tool separately from the web page".

I have searched https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/  and cannot find any reference to this 'logging tool'.

Anyone out there any idea where or what webpage it is on. Also before anyone asks my USB stick was formatted to exFat.

I've just updated my maps to F8, no log file was created on the USB.

The only time I've seen the log file is when doing an actual system update.

• Like 1

When updating my system to F7 a couple of months ago, I had the same problem - no log file was generated. 

I got in touch with Ford who eventually confirmed if you do just a map update, no log file will be created. One is only created when updating the Sync 3 software itself. All a little unclear from Ford as even on the sole map update guide, it states to expect a log file but maybe they'll update the guide one day to reflect the reality 🙂

This file you download from the Ford website doesnt produce a log file at the end of the update (I think they missed this bit out by accident).

However, if you connect your car to WiFi and do a system check, it will inform Ford servers of your current system versions and eventually they will update and things will all be synchronised.

16 hours ago, SgtAWilson said:

However, if you connect your car to WiFi and do a system check, it will inform Ford servers of your current system versions and eventually they will update and things will all be synchronised.

So it seems that the car can communicate with Ford in this way, and, as I mention above, to check for updates, but it won't do the actual update by Wi-Fi as stated in the handbook? I find it odd when your phone and other devices seem to do an update every time you switch them on!

Any time you take your car for work at a Ford dealer, if they plug it in, it will log the software versions too.

10 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Any time you take your car for work at a Ford dealer, if they plug it in, it will log the software versions too.

Yes indeed. My point is that the system is supposed to automatically update via Wi-Fi and doesn't.

1 minute ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes indeed. My point is that the system is supposed to automatically update via Wi-Fi and doesn't.

It's because the base system of Sync 3 supports it, but it's currently disabled for the UK (maybe all of Ford Europe too?)

I only know of it wokring in North America.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

I only know of it wokring in North America.

Yes, that's what I've heard too. But that being the case it really should be made clear to customers who quite reasonably expect that a feature that is included in the handbook, the in car menu (and, In several cases I've heard of, the dealer handover briefing as well) should work. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 11:03 AM, Jonro2009 said:

I need to update my Sync unit again before I can download the map update however on the Mondeo Mk5 UK Facebook page there are a few people upgrading to F8, it was released this week I believe.

731D544A-4105-4278-A438-402C8984B436.jpeg

Just done mine. 1st part 35 minutes, 2nd part 45 mins.  All went well.  No log file created.

F8.jpg

Thanks for the information, good to know it’s working and a timeframe too.

did you do it while driving or just with the engine running on the drive? 

Can you still listen to music while it is updating?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

Thanks for the information, good to know it’s working and a timeframe too.

did you do it while driving or just with the engine running on the drive? 

Can you still listen to music while it is updating?

Yeah did it whilst driving around. 

After first bit,  got out, locked the car and came back a few minutes later. 

Started the second update automatically when I set off again. 

You can listen to music (radio) fine. 

Still a bit confused with the database for the safety speed cameras. Is there any way of updating this on its own or does it defo update with the maps update please?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club