Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best way in removing baked on road tar ?

Ian Lanc

As the title says guys 👍

Sons ST which is in frozen white is covered in the stuff and it's been on for yonks, so long it's has hard as the paint.

Best way ? Tips ?

I all ways use a bit of white spirit then wash and wax 😊

• Thanks 1

I'd probably use a tar remover like auto finesse ex-TAR-minate or use a clay bar to which is designed to remove bonded contaminants. 

• Thanks 1

White spirit! I've got a gallon of that in the shed.... Cheapest option yet 😤

Most companies that sell car products sell tar remover. I've found that WD-40 works well too. All of these leave a greasy residue so you will need to wash with shampoo afterwards...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tardis is designed for this, if you can't find a stockist (eBay always has sellers) then white spirit or brake cleaner (NOT BRAKE FLUID)

Always wash the area before and after then re-apply wax as this is removed

• Thanks 1

Tried white spirit  this morning and it literally dissolved it.

I don't think our Son will deglect the car like the previous owner did, crazy to think someone would spend ££££'s on a car and never clean it & look after it.

Just a note I've had road tar on my car in the past but used T-Cut, always removed it straight away, but old baked on tar is a different story.

Thanks for the tips & idea's guy, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

I've was quite fastidious about removing tar on my previous red Fiesta Zetec, but now owning a black ST I'm not sure I'll even notice it to clean it off!

• Haha 1

T-cut is a very dated product now. For some reason many people seem to think it's the only car polish in existence lol. Not only are you removing the tar spots, but also the laquer...

I'm sure I read somewhere that WD-40 also removes a small layer of laquer, but I've no evidence to prove that sooo...

In the past I've used autoglym tar remover but found it very arduous to use. The autosmart tardis is good stuff at £12 a litre or 5L for just under £30. That will dissolve the tar instantly.

• Thanks 1

Had a bad case of tar on my previous vehicle and nothing removed it. Tried everything, Mothers, Meguiars, Autoglym, clay bars, etc. Then met a retired chemist, told me to ONLY spray the affected area with petrol and let it sit for 30 seconds then wipe off. Tried it and worked perfectly. Removed/dissolved the tar in one spray. Have used it ever since and always gets the job done the first time. 

Following the petrol application and dirt removal, ensure that you wash the area to remove any petrol residue that maybe still present. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing I will add is applying tar remover with a cloth sucks! I always pour mine into a spray bottle as it doesn't all absorb into the cloth. Just make sure to close your eyes when you do it lol. I'm guessing that's the reason nobody sells it in spray bottles to start with, it's quite nasty stuff.

Cheap furniture polish does...

Discovered accidentally whilst grabbing blindly for a tin of WD40, picked up the Asda Smart Price polish and didn't realise until I'd sprayed it.  Grumbled to myself, went to wipe it off and the tar came off too

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 6:45 PM, TimST2 said:

Most companies that sell car products sell tar remover. I've found that WD-40 works well too. All of these leave a greasy residue so you will need to wash with shampoo afterwards...

My dad would use WD40, I've actually found that turtle wax tar and glue is the best thing I've used.  Spray on leave 2 mins and agitate slightly and its gone.  Also used auto finesse and that wasn't as good.

When I started in the motor trade 55 yrs ago I was told to use a bit of petrol an a rag , it works perfectly and I been doing it ever since with no problems.

On 1/27/2019 at 6:54 PM, SeanW said:

Cheap furniture polish does...

Discovered accidentally whilst grabbing blindly for a tin of WD40, picked up the Asda Smart Price polish and didn't realise until I'd sprayed it.  Grumbled to myself, went to wipe it off and the tar came off too

That reminds me of the time my dad thought he would be helpful and polish the dining table for my mum, grabbed for the polish, sprayed the table, started to buff which then became very sticky - he had only gone and grabbed oven cleaner and not the polish!!! Needless to say the dining table was ruined and had to be sent for a refurb! 🤣

4 hours ago, WES180 said:

That reminds me of the time my dad thought he would be helpful and polish the dining table for my mum, grabbed for the polish, sprayed the table, started to buff which then became very sticky - he had only gone and grabbed oven cleaner and not the polish!!! Needless to say the dining table was ruined and had to be sent for a refurb! 🤣

Sometimes I think of machine polishing the dining table. It's covered in heavy swirl marks. Makes me forget how good my cars paint looks after I had machine polished it. 

30 minutes ago, zain611 said:

Sometimes I think of machine polishing the dining table. It's covered in heavy swirl marks. Makes me forget how good my cars paint looks after I had machine polished it. 

would you get the same results 😃

On 2/3/2019 at 10:56 AM, WES180 said:

Except my mistake actually worked, and didn't damage anything hehe

On 2/3/2019 at 3:18 PM, zain611 said:

On 2/3/2019 at 3:49 PM, dezwez said:

would you get the same results 😃

If it's wooden, just a light sanding & either varnish or wax.

1 minute ago, pragmatix said:

Blowtorch😂

lol 🤣

4 hours ago, SeanW said:

Except my mistake actually worked, and didn't damage anything hehe

If it's wooden, just a light sanding & either varnish or wax.

My dining table I think is marble with this glossy coating on it. I'm also thinking of machine polishing the marble tiles in the kitchen. When they were new it had a nice gloss shine to it but things like fruit acids etc had turned them matte which really upsetted my mum. Don't recommend anyone getting a glossy tile as that gloss goes away from food or liquids spilling over it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zain611 said:

My dining table I think is marble with this glossy coating on it. I'm also thinking of machine polishing the marble tiles in the kitchen. When they were new it had a nice gloss shine to it but things like fruit acids etc had turned them matte which really upsetted my mum. Don't recommend anyone getting a glossy tile as that gloss goes away from food or liquids spilling over it. 

I would think a polish wound have restore the shine on you tiles as they are glazed 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club