Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk2 2.0tdci engine problem.

Blazerblue08
聽Share

Hi, having a big problem here.

I was rolling down a hill on Sunday when the car jolted like I'd dabbed the brakes, tried to accelerate and nothing.

Safely coasted to a stop engine dead, car cranks and sounds ok but won't start, tried easy start and it won't even suck it into the intake. No vacuum whatsoever.

Anyone had this issue or know what the problem might be?

Possibly skipped a tooth and thrown the timing out. If you have a compression tester I'd start there.

timeing belt broke if it has one聽馃槥

Thats possible as its well over due a belt. I have visually checked the belt and its still on and turns when cranking.

If it has slipped a tooth is the engine a gonner? please say no ha.聽

I didnt hear and metal crunching sounds, just felt like i'd dropped it to second hear and engine braked.

6 hours ago, Blazerblue08 said:

it won't even suck it into the intake. No vacuum whatsoever.

If the belt is intact, and the engine still turns freely, then it seems unlikely to me that the valves hit the pistons, On these Diesels, the valves go straight down, with almost no clearance to the piston, so an impact is going to be a big event. Not like just touching a valve edge on a petrol engine.

There is an anti-shudder or throttle valve on the air intake. I wonder if that could have shut at the wrong time. If it did, It would stop the engine power, cause engine braking, and cause loss of any suction at the air filter.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:11 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

If the belt is intact, and the engine still turns freely, then it seems unlikely to me that the valves hit the pistons, On these Diesels, the valves go straight down, with almost no clearance to the piston, so an impact is going to be a big event. Not like just touching a valve edge on a petrol engine.

There is an anti-shudder or throttle valve on the air intake. I wonder if that could have shut at the wrong time. If it did, It would stop the engine power, cause engine braking, and cause loss of any suction at the air filter.

I checked the anti shudder valve and it is wide open. Would you say changing the belt and retiming is worthwhile?

I don't have a compression tester but to my ears it doesn't sound much different than usual when cranking. You can definatley hear compression.

Is there any way I can check the timing?

28 minutes ago, Blazerblue08 said:

Is there any way I can check the timing?

Not very easily. For proper setting, a carefully sized bolt is screwed into the crankcase somewhere, and the crankshaft turned to locate up against it. Then the cam positions can be checked. Removing a glowplug might also allow TDC to be found.

Simply viewing the valves from above would tell you quite a lot. If they are not following the cams, ie the valve clearances have opened up, then they are damaged. If the pistons had hit the valves, I would expect to see visible damage to the camshaft bearings or cam followers too. The forces would be immense.

I would try turning a drivewheel, in 5th (/6th) gear, with the other wheel on the ground & chocked, to try to feel the compressions. I suspect a long lever on a wheel bolt would be needed to force it over a compression, or less force for longer to let enough air leak out to get it past a compression. All four consecutive compressions should be similar.

Also check for any smell of fuel at the exhaust while cranking. No fuel smell after a lot of cranking might be a failure in the fuel system.

A diagnostic aid like Forscan can tell you if there is an RPM reading (from the crank sensor), and if there is fuel pressure, while cranking. MAF reading might also be available to tell you if there is any air being drawn in.

PS: Keep the battery charged, or that will soon be wrecked!

Thanks I will try that compression method. I'm not very good on the mechanical side as I work on car electrics at work.

I did get it on the snap-on and found no error codes, the data list did show enough fuel pressure for start and rpm readings. Either way easy start should get it revving without them things so I can only assume the valves aren't opening when they should.

Think I have a modified elm somewhere so I'll take some more reading at the weekend, need to get her running again, can't stand this diesel Honda loaner.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update.

My high pressure fuel pump jammed up causing major engine damage. Might explain the random jolts my car has had for a while.

Just fitted another engine and will be trying to fire her up tomorrow once all pipes are connected and I've managed to get the fuel flowing.聽

As you can see on the pics the bit what spins the HPFP has snapped off and has most likely took out the top end.

Thank for your input guys.

20190212_115721.jpg

20190212_200947.jpg

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club