Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Light & Limp Mode

Callum1499

Hi, I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask a question. 

I've got a Zetec S 1.6 Turbo Diesel Fiesta 2010. 

The car feels like it drives fine but I keep getting an engine warning light then I loose power it's like someone's turned the turbo off and swapped it for a 1 litre Corsa engine (I presume this is limp mode).

I've taken it to 2 garages they both said they can't see anything wrong and just reset it. I took it to another garage and they said it was a fault with the headlights caused it to go into limp mode? 

But since I had it back I took it onto the a14 I was running at 80mph which was just over 3,000 revs for a few minutes then the engine light came on and limp mode came on again this was during the day, no lights on etc. 

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

is it showing any codes on a code reader

I'm borrowing my mates tomorrow to check myself. Although the garage have used theirs and said no codes have come up.

The garage will probably have an expensive snap on one. Your mate who probably has an amazon £5 special won't pull anything the garage couldn't find. The only hardware/software combo that has a better chance of reading a code is a modified ELM327 with Forscan running on a laptop.

6 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

The garage will probably have an expensive snap on one. Your mate who probably has an Amazon £5 special won't pull anything the garage couldn't find. The only hardware/software combo that has a better chance of reading a code is a modified ELM327 with Forscan running on a laptop.

My mate has a proper one he has a Focus RS500 & an Fiesta ST he loves Ford's. Only reason why I can think the garage ones won't pick it up is because it's had a remap. I didn't do it the previous owner did. Thought I'd post on here to see if anyone can help diagnose the problem 🙂

Any time a light comes on the dash the car should store a fault, so I would find it hard to believe them that there is none.  Even if the light goes off itself it will still store.  Is it only an EML?  Does a "coil" light show too?  Or flash at least?  Not really up to date with Ford diesels, but I'd sway towards DPF and/or EGR issues with you describing limp mode.  I'd imagine your local dealer isn't extortionate for diagnostic, I'd throw it into them to at least diagnose the issue, but I'd guarantee DPF/EGR issues.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Callum1499 said:

My mate has a proper one he has a Focus RS500 & an Fiesta ST he loves Ford's. Only reason why I can think the garage ones won't pick it up is because it's had a remap. I didn't do it the previous owner did. Thought I'd post on here to see if anyone can help diagnose the problem 🙂

What system is he using though?  Even the high end stuff like Snap-On don't show all the Ford specific codes.

It might also be the remap causing the fault, do you know who did the map?

Also, has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Celtic Tuning did it 4 years ago so doubt it's that. The car wasn't in limp mode this morning but the engine warning light was on. I was driving it along a14 and it turned off. Plugged code reader in just to check but no codes came up so very strange.

Which code reader?  Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Are you the Felixstowe end of the A14?

Not sure what type it was it was orange though lol. Yeah I am felixstowe to Whitehouse interchange daily.

You still haven't answered the fuel filter question... :laugh:  It's the most common cause of power loss on these which is why I keep asking.  

You're not far from me, I'm happy to put Forscan on it to pull up the codes the generic scanners won't find.  Message me if you'd like to do that.

Apologies missed it 😂 I don't think it has although it had a full service, full engine service and fluid change in October but doubt they did anything to the filter... if the engine light comes back on ill message you. Cheers for your help haha

• 11 months later...

Callum, did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having the same problem with the same car..

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/13/2020 at 11:04 PM, Shaun Pea said:

Callum, did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having the same problem with the same car..

Hi Shaun, I didn’t, although, 8 months later I finally managed to get the code which was a supercharger/turbocharger underboost. This happened when I was above 3,000 revs driving along the M3 for a fair while. I didn’t have an issue all through summer only when it started getting cold outside. I personally think it’s actually something to do with the EGR valve and it letting too much fuel through as in the cooler months as you feel the engine ‘slipping’ when you put your foot down triggering the sensor & computer to put it into limp home mode, where as in the summer this doesn’t happen at all. It can’t be a serious fault as when you leave the car to sit 10 mins turned off and start it up again it drives fine and out of limp home mode. Interestingly, when air con is on consuming more fuel you don’t get the slipping or engine warning light i only get it when the engine is either cold or above 3,000 revs for long periods of time. An EGR blanking plate is probably the cheaper option first before looking at replacing the turbo providing there isn’t actually wrong with the turbo. Although, I just try not to drive above 3,000 revs for a long period of time and I’ve not experienced any more issues.

What speed is 3000 rpm. On my fiesta it would be 100mph so I don’t drive at over 3000 rpm for long periods!

On 2/12/2020 at 6:09 PM, isetta said:

What speed is 3000 rpm. On my fiesta it would be 100mph so I don’t drive at over 3000 rpm for long periods!

85-90MPH

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2020 at 8:31 PM, Callum1499 said:

Hi Shaun, I didn’t, although, 8 months later I finally managed to get the code which was a supercharger/turbocharger underboost. This happened when I was above 3,000 revs driving along the M3 for a fair while. I didn’t have an issue all through summer only when it started getting cold outside. I personally think it’s actually something to do with the EGR valve and it letting too much fuel through as in the cooler months as you feel the engine ‘slipping’ when you put your foot down triggering the sensor & computer to put it into limp home mode, where as in the summer this doesn’t happen at all. It can’t be a serious fault as when you leave the car to sit 10 mins turned off and start it up again it drives fine and out of limp home mode. Interestingly, when air con is on consuming more fuel you don’t get the slipping or engine warning light i only get it when the engine is either cold or above 3,000 revs for long periods of time. An EGR blanking plate is probably the cheaper option first before looking at replacing the turbo providing there isn’t actually wrong with the turbo. Although, I just try not to drive above 3,000 revs for a long period of time and I’ve not experienced any more issues.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:31 PM, Callum1499 said:

Funny how you said that about the cold weather, I'm just realizing now it hasn't happened to me since the real cold winter months. If it starts happening again I'm going to definitely get something done and changing the turbo will be a last resort. Must be a fairly common problem with these cars, I have a friend who was trying to convince me not to buy the car because he heard they have a lot of turbo issues. Thanks for the detailed reply.

On 3/31/2020 at 9:48 AM, Shaun Pea said:

No problem mate, let me know how you get on!

When was your last service on your car? I was thinking it could actually be an issue with the air filter but not got round to taking mine off to look yet. I will soon though because, interestingly the issue only started occurring after a full service and filter changes which was over a year ago so if the wrong air filter was used or they never changed it and it got plugged up then that may be a potential issue too but I really don’t know, this part is just speculation.

• 1 month later...

Good news.. turns out it is the boost pressure sensor. Try taking it out and giving it a clean, if that doesn’t work replace it..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone. I have a 1.4 petrol and it is laggish in low revs and goes fine above 3000rpm's. The oil cooler was replaced about a month and half ago and the problems started after that. There were no fault codes when I took it to Ford,  but the problem is still there. Almost as is if it's going into limp mode 

• 1 month later...

Hi Callum, Where is the boost pressure sensor located? I have a 1.6 TDI ford fiesta titanium and I am having the same issue. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Having a similar issue with a 1.5 Diesel fiesta van sport. driving along and then the Engine service now light appears on the display and an orange wrench on the dash.

Car looses its power or goes into a limp mode too. if i pull over and turn the car off and back on again it clears it....usually comes on again short time later.

Happens in the mornings driving to work and back again in the evenings. had it to a garage before Xmas and they couldnt find any issue. not due a service as its recently had one. they changed the oil and filter and that seemed to sort the problem for about a week and a half or so.

Any ideas or advice would be helpful.

Cheers

Alan

3 hours ago, Alan k470 said:

Having a similar issue with a 1.5 Diesel fiesta van sport. driving along and then the Engine service now light appears on the display and an orange wrench on the dash.

Perhaps try throwing a dart at this board to find the fault.FB_IMG_1609500974762.thumb.jpg.ba61d3417d7f48dcb5eed2a93c71dc69.jpg

In all seriousness you need to read the fault codes and come back.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have a 2014 (64) Fiesta Econetic Zetec, bought seven months ago. Allegedly it had been serviced before I bought it, but within 4000mies I got the 'oil change service due' message. Wind on another 5000miles and I started to get the 'engine service  now' message, accompanied by the orange spanner warning light. I thought this was just a graduation of the oil change message and duly had the oil and filter changed. Within 60 miles, the 'engine service now' message and orange spanner reappeared. It disappears for a while if the engine is turned off and on again, but nowadays I always see it again within 20 miles (the first time I saw the orange spanner, it didn't reappear for at least 500miles). There is a definite 'limp mode' when this happens. I have read accounts of it possibly being fuel filter, turbo, air filter, EGR - all related to the 2012-17 Fiesta, so no general consensus of why this light seems to come on so often.

I appreciate the general advice to get the fault codes read and hope that my friendly local mechanic has a scanner that's up to the job (seeing as some say that fault codes don't always show up).

Incidentally, this car is the most unresponsive turbo diesel I've ever encountered - I'd never been in a TD that hadn't offered a bit of a shove if really booted from a standing start...until I drove this one. Is this just a nannying characteristic of the Econetic variant?