Callum1499

Engine Light & Limp Mode

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm new to this forum and wanted to ask a question. 

I've got a Zetec S 1.6 Turbo Diesel Fiesta 2010. 

The car feels like it drives fine but I keep getting an engine warning light then I loose power it's like someone's turned the turbo off and swapped it for a 1 litre Corsa engine (I presume this is limp mode).

I've taken it to 2 garages they both said they can't see anything wrong and just reset it. I took it to another garage and they said it was a fault with the headlights caused it to go into limp mode? 

But since I had it back I took it onto the a14 I was running at 80mph which was just over 3,000 revs for a few minutes then the engine light came on and limp mode came on again this was during the day, no lights on etc. 

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm borrowing my mates tomorrow to check myself. Although the garage have used theirs and said no codes have come up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The garage will probably have an expensive snap on one. Your mate who probably has an amazon £5 special won't pull anything the garage couldn't find. The only hardware/software combo that has a better chance of reading a code is a modified ELM327 with Forscan running on a laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

The garage will probably have an expensive snap on one. Your mate who probably has an amazon £5 special won't pull anything the garage couldn't find. The only hardware/software combo that has a better chance of reading a code is a modified ELM327 with Forscan running on a laptop.

My mate has a proper one he has a Focus RS500 & an Fiesta ST he loves Ford's. Only reason why I can think the garage ones won't pick it up is because it's had a remap. I didn't do it the previous owner did. Thought I'd post on here to see if anyone can help diagnose the problem 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any time a light comes on the dash the car should store a fault, so I would find it hard to believe them that there is none.  Even if the light goes off itself it will still store.  Is it only an EML?  Does a "coil" light show too?  Or flash at least?  Not really up to date with Ford diesels, but I'd sway towards DPF and/or EGR issues with you describing limp mode.  I'd imagine your local dealer isn't extortionate for diagnostic, I'd throw it into them to at least diagnose the issue, but I'd guarantee DPF/EGR issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Callum1499 said:

My mate has a proper one he has a Focus RS500 & an Fiesta ST he loves Ford's. Only reason why I can think the garage ones won't pick it up is because it's had a remap. I didn't do it the previous owner did. Thought I'd post on here to see if anyone can help diagnose the problem 🙂

What system is he using though?  Even the high end stuff like Snap-On don't show all the Ford specific codes.

It might also be the remap causing the fault, do you know who did the map?

Also, has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celtic Tuning did it 4 years ago so doubt it's that. The car wasn't in limp mode this morning but the engine warning light was on. I was driving it along a14 and it turned off. Plugged code reader in just to check but no codes came up so very strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what type it was it was orange though lol. Yeah I am felixstowe to Whitehouse interchange daily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You still haven't answered the fuel filter question... :laugh:  It's the most common cause of power loss on these which is why I keep asking.  

You're not far from me, I'm happy to put Forscan on it to pull up the codes the generic scanners won't find.  Message me if you'd like to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies missed it 😂 I don't think it has although it had a full service, full engine service and fluid change in October but doubt they did anything to the filter... if the engine light comes back on ill message you. Cheers for your help haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Callum, did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having the same problem with the same car..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 11:04 PM, Shaun Pea said:

Callum, did you ever get this issue fixed? I'm having the same problem with the same car..

Hi Shaun, I didn’t, although, 8 months later I finally managed to get the code which was a supercharger/turbocharger underboost. This happened when I was above 3,000 revs driving along the M3 for a fair while. I didn’t have an issue all through summer only when it started getting cold outside. I personally think it’s actually something to do with the EGR valve and it letting too much fuel through as in the cooler months as you feel the engine ‘slipping’ when you put your foot down triggering the sensor & computer to put it into limp home mode, where as in the summer this doesn’t happen at all. It can’t be a serious fault as when you leave the car to sit 10 mins turned off and start it up again it drives fine and out of limp home mode. Interestingly, when air con is on consuming more fuel you don’t get the slipping or engine warning light i only get it when the engine is either cold or above 3,000 revs for long periods of time. An EGR blanking plate is probably the cheaper option first before looking at replacing the turbo providing there isn’t actually wrong with the turbo. Although, I just try not to drive above 3,000 revs for a long period of time and I’ve not experienced any more issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What speed is 3000 rpm. On my fiesta it would be 100mph so I don’t drive at over 3000 rpm for long periods!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 6:09 PM, isetta said:

What speed is 3000 rpm. On my fiesta it would be 100mph so I don’t drive at over 3000 rpm for long periods!

85-90MPH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 8:31 PM, Callum1499 said:

Hi Shaun, I didn’t, although, 8 months later I finally managed to get the code which was a supercharger/turbocharger underboost. This happened when I was above 3,000 revs driving along the M3 for a fair while. I didn’t have an issue all through summer only when it started getting cold outside. I personally think it’s actually something to do with the EGR valve and it letting too much fuel through as in the cooler months as you feel the engine ‘slipping’ when you put your foot down triggering the sensor & computer to put it into limp home mode, where as in the summer this doesn’t happen at all. It can’t be a serious fault as when you leave the car to sit 10 mins turned off and start it up again it drives fine and out of limp home mode. Interestingly, when air con is on consuming more fuel you don’t get the slipping or engine warning light i only get it when the engine is either cold or above 3,000 revs for long periods of time. An EGR blanking plate is probably the cheaper option first before looking at replacing the turbo providing there isn’t actually wrong with the turbo. Although, I just try not to drive above 3,000 revs for a long period of time and I’ve not experienced any more issues.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:31 PM, Callum1499 said:

Hi Shaun, I didn’t, although, 8 months later I finally managed to get the code which was a supercharger/turbocharger underboost. This happened when I was above 3,000 revs driving along the M3 for a fair while. I didn’t have an issue all through summer only when it started getting cold outside. I personally think it’s actually something to do with the EGR valve and it letting too much fuel through as in the cooler months as you feel the engine ‘slipping’ when you put your foot down triggering the sensor & computer to put it into limp home mode, where as in the summer this doesn’t happen at all. It can’t be a serious fault as when you leave the car to sit 10 mins turned off and start it up again it drives fine and out of limp home mode. Interestingly, when air con is on consuming more fuel you don’t get the slipping or engine warning light i only get it when the engine is either cold or above 3,000 revs for long periods of time. An EGR blanking plate is probably the cheaper option first before looking at replacing the turbo providing there isn’t actually wrong with the turbo. Although, I just try not to drive above 3,000 revs for a long period of time and I’ve not experienced any more issues.

Funny how you said that about the cold weather, I'm just realizing now it hasn't happened to me since the real cold winter months. If it starts happening again I'm going to definitely get something done and changing the turbo will be a last resort. Must be a fairly common problem with these cars, I have a friend who was trying to convince me not to buy the car because he heard they have a lot of turbo issues. Thanks for the detailed reply.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/31/2020 at 9:48 AM, Shaun Pea said:

 

No problem mate, let me know how you get on!

When was your last service on your car? I was thinking it could actually be an issue with the air filter but not got round to taking mine off to look yet. I will soon though because, interestingly the issue only started occurring after a full service and filter changes which was over a year ago so if the wrong air filter was used or they never changed it and it got plugged up then that may be a potential issue too but I really don’t know, this part is just speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.