Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Led headlight upgrade

marshal62

hi, has anyone upgraded their headlights to led with so called plug and play replacements. is it really that simple. I'm thinking of a set of these.

https://www.auxbeam.com/70025550?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=Klaus&utm_campaign=70025550&utm_content=AlanHowatt_US&utm_term=20181218

Hello marshal62

What car do you have??

IMG_1428.jpg

Yes it is but if you car has bulb out warning system. It will pick up the leds as faulty unless you install ballast.

I have the MK2 Focus on a 56 plate and I have installed the leds there is no warning but I had to cut out a hole in the headlight back cover because the leds were too long.

Hopes this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that they are illegal to fit to a standard halogen designed headlamp unt as the light distribution is all wrong. However, that aside, make sure you do alot of research into the specific bulbs you get. Many look impressive from a distance of a few feet, but drive at night on a dark rural road, and poor LEDs will barely light up the road ahead for you to make swift progress. The quality of them varies immensely. Having said that, I replaced the headlamps on my GT4 a few years back, and they are brilliant, but I had to kiss a few frogs first before getting my prince (princess!)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StephenFord said:

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that they are illegal to fit to a standard halogen designed headlamp unt as the light distribution is all wrong. However, that aside, make sure you do alot of research into the specific bulbs you get. Many look impressive from a distance of a few feet, but drive at night on a dark rural road, and poor LEDs will barely light up the road ahead for you to make swift progress. The quality of them varies immensely. Having said that, I replaced the headlamps on my GT4 a few years back, and they are brilliant, but I had to kiss a few frogs first before getting my prince (princess!)

A very good point tonight i passes a focus that had an obvious bad led installation no beam pattern and was only illuminating a few feet infront of the bumper, bright but useless

• Like 2

Hello everyone
This is what mine look like at night with my projector headlights fitted.

IMG_1431.jpg

The beam pattern looks good. These are what I fitted.

IMG_1663.jpg

Let me know what everyone thinks??

16 hours ago, MUNK19 said:

Hello marshal62

What car do you have??

IMG_1428.jpg

Yes it is but if you car has bulb out warning system. It will pick up the leds as faulty unless you install ballast.

I have the MK2 Focus on a 56 plate and I have installed the leds there is no warning but I had to cut out a hole in the headlight back cover because the leds were too long.

Hopes this helps

mines a 2012 titanium x with a warning light for everything, so a bit dubious about fitting led's. i have HID dipped beam (standard equipment) but my full beam, turn lights and fogs are halogen. Id like my car to have the same colour white lights throughout if you know what i mean.

In my Mondeo, I use Osram Cool Blue Intense bulbs for my halogen static cornering lights and extra main beam bulbs. Not as white as LED's I suspect but whiter than standard halogen bulbs.

1 hour ago, marshal62 said:

mines a 2012 titanium x with a warning light for everything, so a bit dubious about fitting led's.

The reason that LEDs often throw out a 'bulb out' warning light is that they draw a very small current compared to a standard halogen bulb, hence the car 'thinks' the bulb is blown. This is easily compensated by fitting an LED bulb with a built in resistor which then draws the same current as a standard bulb, so the car is fooled into thinking all is OK. Often referred to as 'CanBus error free'. So, if the warning bulb is the only barrier you have, it's easily overcome. My Merc has several canbus error free LED Bulbs fitted and they're just fine...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 6:57 PM, F0CUE said:

Hmm now what did he say lol

I didn't see it but going on my initial feeling when I saw your pic and how bright your headlights look, it probably had the words "glare" "other road users" and some swear words in it.

1 minute ago, F0CUE said:

There is no glare it's just the pic.

Good to know, as it's rather annoying when some tw*t coming the other direction on an unlit road blinds oncoming traffic with their LED/aftermarket HIDs that are pointing at the sky. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No they are aligned correctly to adhere to the halogen reflection and no flashing has happened from other drivers and the cut off is the same 😁

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2019 at 6:00 PM, F0CUE said:

Here's mines definitely bright lol

IMG_20190128_165825.jpg

Hi F0CUE, have the same model year, but have difficulty installing H7 LEDs. Did you find any type of adapter to fix the LED Bulbs in place? Would be a huge favour if you could point me the right direction with this. Thanks!

@Attila the Hun Yes This is what I use be careful the plastic is very brittle but they replace the harness and the harness just sits in behind the cap.

• 7 months later...

Hi all my partner has a 2011 plate ford focus titanium and he has just changed all his bulbs to led. But the lights work until he turns on his engine fully, then the dash board says " dipped beam fault " which then he cannot turn his lights on. The standard halogen bulbs worked fine none were out or blown he just wanted a brighter light. What can be done here to make them work as im out of answer's 🤦‍♀️

If its an led connector with the 2 prongs that go into the original loom then try reversing them.