Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyless Entry on the news again..Is there things that your glad your aint got or had.

jace1969

You hear a lot of people say...i wish i had that or the person before had this fitted.

I see the theft of cars now is mainly down to keyless entry on the newer ones as a lot of news places say,ok the old days all you needed was your mates key.

Im glad mine aint got this as the person before never had it,im old fashioned i like a key and turn but i did think this was a step up on security.

As my Heading on this topic.

..Is there stuff on your car that your glad you never had as there is a few on mine i wish wasn't there but i never had mine from new.

I agree, when I bought my current fiesta (2nd hand) I would not have bought it if it had keyless entry.

my previous fiesta (2007) had auto wipers. Never liked that (it had an adjuster but very temperamental) . Current one has intermittent wipers I can adjust myself - much prefer that.

I expect a lot of diesel owners wish they had a car without a dpf.

I hate the stop/start on my car. I know I can disable it by pressing a button, but it's back the next time I drive it.

I hate the way the car thinks I want the aircon on when I turn the heater fan on in winter, my brother's Focus does that also.

I have a traditional handbrake. I never want a car with one of those push button handbrakes.

The therft of cars with keyless is probably down to the fact these are the newer more desirable ones, its very easy to steal a car that has keys.

Im very happy with keyless. Just wish i had heated seats and sterring wheel

30 minutes ago, isetta said:

I hate the way the car thinks I want the aircon on when I turn the heater fan on in winter, my brother's Focus does that also

Aircon in winter helps stop your car steaming up- so its a good thing

• Like 1

Keyless start is one of the things I do like and miss from the Mk3 Focus.  I'm not a fan of keyless entry though.

I also miss climate control, a heated windscreen and the large dash display with 4 fuel info feeds going from 2012 Mk3 Titanium to 2012 Mk6 Match.  Although the Golf came out 3 years before the Focus so is actually a rival for the mk2, not mk3, which is why it feels a bit more dated inside.  I also miss deflation detection...it was a £30 option on the Golf.  I could activate it with VCDS but would need to buy a physical switch for it.

I miss anti dazzle wing mirrors, had this on the '06 Vectra and '02 Golf yet don't seem to see them now.

I really miss rear privacy glass, xenon headlights, full heated leathers and powerfold mirrors from the Mk2.  My 'preferred' next car would be a mk3.5 TitX with optional full leathers and appearance pack 2 but no chance on my budget.

I also miss easyfuel...I keep worrying I'm gonna put petrol in by accident...not done that in 10 years so far but still worry about it every time!

One thing I don't miss is drum brakes...after 4 years of small engine Focii it's so nice to have rear discs again!!  In 6 months I've not had sticky rear brakes once, where they'd stick on every damp morning in the Focii and after the lightest drizzle or car wash lol.  They also don't fade like the Focus brakes, though the fronts are probably bigger than the Focus fronts tbf.

As I've said before, I do like cruise auto lights & wipers, auto dimming mirror and cruise control, all of which I now would not buy a daily car without!

I also like the gas bonnet struts on the Golf...needed them on the Mk3 Focus with the amount of time the bonnet was up! :laugh: 

Optical parking sensors are something I've found I really like...only had them on the last 2 cars, rears only on the Focus, front and rear on the Golf, but they really do help in tight spots.  I don't tend to park in tight spots all that often though so it's something I could do without.

I also like the audio options on newer cars, particularly USB or SD card...can fit so much music on them without unsightly wires hanging or carrying a wad of CDs about.  I also like DAB radio but wish the signal was a bit stronger, or car aerials were a bit better, my DAB loses signal in some places I drive every single week which is annoying.  The other good thing about the Golf audio over the Mk3 PFL is the fact it's a colour touchscreen...never thought I'd like a touchscreen in a car but it works really well...next car will most likely have Sync so hopefully that works just as well as the VAG one.

I also really like the floor pivot throttle pedal in the Golf, feels much more controllable and no heel slip like you get with a conventional pedal.

Well that was longer than I expected...I think that's all for now. :laugh: 

I was a little concerned when I found out my 2nd hand 67 plate had keyless entry as I wouldn't have spec'ed it myself.  I bought a Faraday wallet which has the dual benefit of not only protecting the key signal, but also stopping SWMBO from losing the key ;-) 

• Like 1

I wouldn't want keyless start.   I wouldn't buy a car without cruise control.   I used to have a C-Max with an electronic handbrake and I hated it; it could only be used when you were stationary.   The handbrake is a brake and should be able to be used in an emergency.

I had the option of a fiesta with keyless entry and start and i aint that keen on it,i mentioned this as i see it on the news about car crime has gone up massive like

every 5 mins it said a car is broken into or stolen and names newer cars and makes,something about a clone Fob that copies the code.

I like to press a button to open on my Fob and that steel thing into the barrel to start it,might be just because im the older person.

There is a few things i never use,climate control as it should be used as just put heater on and that's it and cruise control i have never used in over 4 years as very local driving.

I like my heated seats being leather and when cold put them on for a while and its great,my Auto wipers i have mix views as mine don't work A1 its hit and miss as

sometimes they will work great if i change the setting so slight rain they come on and sometimes i have to do it as i cant see then comes on about 4 times fast,i like the

one where i can set the time interval not sensitivity of the rain on the screen.

Posts on this thread so far show how different we all are!😀

Anyway, I really like:

Climate control, rear parking sensors, manual handbrake, easyfuel, tinted glass, traffic sign recognition, speed alert, digital speed readout

Could easily live without:

Keyless entry (don't mind keyless start), sat-nav, cruise control, stop-start system, leather or part leather seats, auto wipers, auto lights.

Annoying that to get things I like (climate in particular) I often have to have a car with the things I'm not bothered about😠

One thing I really could do without is auto high beam. It’s a great idea but poor execution. The high beam often switches off too late and in the dark, you can often see the lights of an approaching car from bends or inclines and switch off the high beam in anticipation and the auto high beam will unlikely ever be able to replicate that. So instead of being a convenience feature, it just annoys me more than it helps 🙂 

Wouldn't want keyless entry with all the problems being brought up but love keyless start, auto lights, mirrors, headlight main beam etc. 

These are the only reason I want to get into a new mk8 of my own, hopefully very soon.

If you have keyless entry and get your car stolen from home, you should be penalised by the insurance company because you failed to secure your fob. You may have just tossed your keys onto the path. It's been published enough.

I've been reading about security problems with keyless entry when tea-leaves buy some gizmo online to transmit the signal from the fob (safely indoors) to the car on the drive. Both of our cars are keyless but we don't have a drive so I'm now thinking if we park down the road a bit that should solve the problem.

Or do I need to go back in time and buy a Krooklok?

Cheers.

• Like 1

I'd like to know this too. For me mine is down the road some way, but can the signal be 'cloned' as it were?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Or do I need to go back in time and buy a Krooklok?

a lot of people use a Krooklok

We keep the key to the RS in a Faraday pouch, bit of a pain but it’s still on the drive so guess it works. Our estate has been a bit of a target recently, as lots of Range Rovers, two Focus RS’, a pair of Golf R’s and an RS3 plus various keyless Mercs, BMW’s etc. Lots of people use the Faraday pouches now and theft attempts have definitely gone down to almost 0 now the gangs clocked on.

• Like 1

Merged and moved.

FYI this is old news, dug up by the media again because Brexit's gone quiet maybe?

If you are concerned, either have a dealer turn off keyless entry or keep your keys in a metal tin/farday pouch.

• Like 2

Er, I know it's "old news", but so are many of the topics on here. That's the nature of the beast.

You've merged it with a topic that has people talking about heated seats and privacy glass. That's not what I posted about. I posted about theft.

Heigh-ho.

Just now, Oldster said:

Er, I know it's "old news", but so are many of the topics on here. That's the nature of the beast.

You've merged it with a topic that has people talking about heated seats and privacy glass. That's not what I posted about. I posted about theft.

Heigh-ho.

Title of the topic is "Keyless Entry on the news again". Just trying to keep all conversation about it in one (current) thread.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be without an auto box and cruise control. I like having a reverse camera and sensors for convenience but it's not a deal breaker. 

I can very easily do without auto lights/wipers and other autonomous gadgets such as BLIS, CTA and ACS etc.

Mine has it and I couldn't care less. I live in an ok area and surely things like this is what insurance is for!

Should we be worried about keyless start if we don’t have keyless entry?

Just now, Smartd00d said:

Should we be worried about keyless start if we don’t have keyless entry?

Keyless start is still vulnerable but it's likely they'd have to set the alarm off to get the door open.

Keyless entry is the most vulnerable bit as they can open the car without triggering the alarm.

Yeah, with keyless start the usual way is to break the window (setting the alarm off) and plug a laptop into the OBD port. That's why I've removed the OBD fuse and put a sticker on the window:

64d476b97cc24fee72401fa93f1e6b84.jpg&key=8ffb575a35f4d7bac2a6e2f704d017371a5b820d61fa955ce08234674f8e4c84