Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SYNC 3 update?

Joel Bavidge

The other day my car (2019 Fiesta ST) came up saying it needs a software update. I connected it to my wifi and pressed scan for updates. It came up with the loading icon for about a minute and then just stopped. I tried it several times and also tried re-booting by holding down the power button and the skip track button but it still just scans for about a minute then just stops and nothing happens. I went on the Ford website to try and download the latest sync version on a USB drive but, when I enter my VIN number, it says my car does not need an update. The message keeps coming up on the screen when I get in my car saying it needs an update. it is running SYNC 3.3. Is there a newer version or is this the latest version? Any help would be appreciated.

Nice car 👍 

Although you have the option to search for and update via WiFi, this is not actually possible in the European market. It is only available in the US ☹️

As the computer says you are up to date but the car tells you otherwise, I would speak with the dealer and get them to sort it for you. 

3.3 is the latest as far as I'm aware, also I would switch off the updates WiFi. Ask your dealer why. 

Just now, iantt said:

3.3 is the latest as far as I'm aware, also I would switch off the updates WiFi. Ask your dealer why. 

I forgot about turning auto update off lol. That way it shouldn’t tell the OP there is an update available

1st post, so be gentle,

ok guys n girls.

Ok seem to be having similar issues myself with an update, I've uploaded my screen for people to see (BLANKED MY VIN), seeing that I have V3.0 and also tells me one minute I have an update then refuses to scan the next (grrrrr).

Tried through the Wifi - when it says I have an update, gets to about half way and stops then refuses to anything else.

Through the FORD site. enter VIN says yes I have an update waiting, compiling files and wait for download........(yep been like that for over an hour!)

HELP!

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

I didn't realise that the WIFI updates aren't available in the EU. Would have thought they would just remove it from the software for the EU cars. I'll turn auto update off and that should get rid off the update message. Maybe the wifi updates will be enabled after Brexit lol 😂 

Did you have any luck downloading the v3.3 update file from the ford website?

@G_O_L_D it looks as though it's goingtp be your maps that need updating, we are currently getting F8 rolled out. This new update is almost 30G and depending on your connection speed it could take a couple of hours.

You can't update over WiFi so I wouldn't bother letting it scan, and as someone said earlier - turn off auto updates.

Just done a new update on my sync3 which created the check file.

File accepted on the update page and says all ok but when checking for updates so I can proceed to the nav file download the system goes back to saying I need the sync update again.

I'm going to leave it 24 hours then check again and hopefully I can finally get the nav file download.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

24 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Just done a new update on my sync3 which created the check file.

File accepted on the update page and says all ok but when checking for updates so I can proceed to the nav file download the system goes back to saying I need the sync update again.

I'm going to leave it 24 hours then check again and hopefully I can finally get the nav file download.

That's not what I wanted to hear 🙄 I need to update my Sync before I can download the map update, here's hoping I can get it done quickly because I wanted to do it all over the weekend.

• Like 1

That's not what I wanted to hear [emoji849] I need to update my Sync before I can download the map update, here's hoping I can get it done quickly because I wanted to do it all over the weekend.
This xml file seems to be more of a pain than it should be.
They should still allow the nav files to be accessible without the xml file with a warning that the nav update won't work unless the sync is done first.

1 minute ago, Stoney871 said:

This xml file seems to be more of a pain than it should be.
They should still allow the nav files to be accessible without the xml file with a warning that the nav update won't work unless the sync is done first.

Yes, that's what I had expected to be the case. I'm pretty sure I'm up to date but because I didn't upload the log file it hasn't registered, I'm hoping the system is clever enough to realise when I plug the USB stick in and just create the .xml file without installing the update again.

I think the xml file is ok but the update database is shoddy.

On 1/29/2019 at 6:41 PM, Joel Bavidge said:

I didn't realise that the WIFI updates aren't available in the EU. Would have thought they would just remove it from the software for the EU cars. I'll turn auto update off and that should get rid off the update message. Maybe the wifi updates will be enabled after Brexit lol 😂 

Did you have any luck downloading the v3.3 update file from the ford website?

I'll let you know, it's now 13:52 Hrs and I am now leaving it running in the background  

3 hours ago, G_O_L_D said:

I'll let you know, it's now 13:52 Hrs and I am now leaving it running in the background  

ok, update number 1 at 17:50 hrs.........BIG FAT FAIL from the ford site, see below

Screenshot 2019-01-31 at 17.49.39.png

Thats annoying! Are there any other files on the USB? It says it needs to be a completely empty USB stick with at least 4GB free. Check the installation guide (https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/rhd/central/owners/resources-and-support/sync-&-bluetooth-support/docs/SYNC_3_USB-Update-Guide.pdf) but if it still doesn't work then I think you will have to take it into the garage and get them to do it or you could try it on a different computer and see if that makes any difference.

15 hours ago, Joel Bavidge said:

Thats annoying! Are there any other files on the USB? It says it needs to be a completely empty USB stick with at least 4GB free. Check the installation guide (https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxeu/rhd/central/owners/resources-and-support/sync-&-bluetooth-support/docs/SYNC_3_USB-Update-Guide.pdf) but if it still doesn't work then I think you will have to take it into the garage and get them to do it or you could try it on a different computer and see if that makes any difference.

@Joel Bavidge that's my next plan.....once the snow has buggered off lol

I have successfully upgraded to th F8 maps, first download i tried on my mac didnt unzip properly so wouldnt update, tried again usin a windows pc, took about 5 hours to download but it unzipped ok and the upload to the car took less than 40 mins, still not upto date round here, so i cant see a big improvement, still missing the new bit of the Perth bypass wonder if its got the Queenfery crossing right yet?

can't even download the files let alone put them on a USB, very annoying

49 minutes ago, G_O_L_D said:

can't even download the files let alone put them on a USB, very annoying

Just keep trying, unfortunately its the same server for ford dealers too, try  sundays.

On 2/2/2019 at 8:24 PM, pragmatix said:

Just keep trying, unfortunately its the same server for ford dealers too, try  sundays.

FINALLY! Even managed to upload the log file to. Happy Bunny..... all up to date.

Was purely down to the server on the website being overloaded with requests, the guy in the Ford dealership in Westbury actually sounded like he knew what he was on about for a change lol.  well got a USB Stick now that I'll not need for a while. might stick some music on it lol.

ALL in, it took me about 20 mins start to finish.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, G_O_L_D said:

oFINALLY! Even managed to upload the log file to. Happy Bunny..... all up to date.

Was purely down to the server on the website being overloaded with requests, the guy in the Ford dealership in Westbury actually sounded like he knew what he was on about for a change lol.  well got a USB Stick now that I'll not need for a while. might stick some music on it lol.

ALL in, it took me about 20 mins start to finish.

What time of day did the server accept your .xml file and present you with the option to download the F8 map? 

once you get the .xml file accepted do you get presented with the map update download or a confirmation box or do you have to start again and do another VIN search?

54 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

What time of day did the server accept your .xml file and present you with the option to download the F8 map? 

once you get the .xml file accepted do you get presented with the map update download or a confirmation box or do you have to start again and do another VIN search?

Some have reported it taking a couple of weeks to accept/recognise you’ve updated

3 minutes ago, TDCiST said:

Some have reported it taking a couple of weeks to accept/recognise you’ve updated

Thanks Dave, not the answer I wanted but at least I know to just keep checking back.

i actually fired off an email to Ford CS explaining my situation (and that of 80% of FOC members lol) and asked if they could help, I even sent my .xml file and suggested that they may be a lemon to try for me 🤣 worth an ask I guess

Just now, Jonro2009 said:

Thanks Dave, not the answer I wanted but at least I know to just keep checking back.

i actually fired off an email to Ford CS explaining my situation (and that of 80% of FOC members lol) and asked if they could help, I even sent my .xml file and suggested that they may be a lemon to try for me 🤣 worth an ask I guess

I've never found them that helpful... I asked for a paint code for the old Focus ZS rear bumper valance, and they told me it was the same as the car... it was grey for a start...

Most there seem to just be your typical "Computer says no" read it on the screen types.  Rarely do you get through to anyone technical.

That’s doesn’t surprise me in the least, I didn’t expect any help really but thought I may as well try

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club