Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6 Fiesta squeeling noise when clutch is pressed

B1lly

Hello, I have a 2004 Fiesta, 100,000 on the clock but clutch changed within the last 8000 mile.  About a month ago I started hearing a squeeling noise when I press the clutch, it only happens when the car is cold and once the car warms up it stops.  I'm thinking it sounds like a loose belt?  Timing kit and cam belt have been changed also within last 8000 mile.  Any ideas?

#it was a brand new 3 piece luk or valeo clutch when i had it changed, cant remember which.

Could it be the clutch release bearing?   Was that changed with the clutch?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobr said:

Could it be the clutch release bearing?   Was that changed with the clutch?

I'm not sure if it was changed, I just know it was a 3 piece clutch.  Is the release bearing a easy job to get fixed?  Cheap?  Expensive?  Does it need addressing immediately?

Just to add, the noise stops after a couple of minutes driving.

3 piece kit would include the release bearing.  It's possible you got a faulty new part but LUK & Valeo are both decent brands so unlikely.  If that is at fault the gearbox needs to come off again to replace it, not cheap or easy.

Is it a constant squeal as soon as you press the clutch that stops as soon as you lift the clutch?  

19 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

3 piece kit would include the release bearing.  It's possible you got a faulty new part but LUK & Valeo are both decent brands so unlikely.  If that is at fault the gearbox needs to come off again to replace it, not cheap or easy.

Is it a constant squeal as soon as you press the clutch that stops as soon as you lift the clutch?  

Hi, yes very loud squeal when I press the clutch to change gear, noise goes as soon as I take my foot off the clutch.  After a couple of minutes driving it stops.

Would I be okay driving like this for a while or would you advise getting it looked at straight away?

Not sure if it would be worth getting another car, save spending any more money on this as its a old car now.

4 minutes ago, B1lly said:

Would I be okay driving like this for a while or would you advise getting it looked at straight away?

Not sure if it would be worth getting another car, save spending any more money on this as its a old car now.

Sounds like it's definitely something to do with the clutch rather than any belts in that case.

It's up to you really, personally I'd suggest you take it back to the garage that did the clutch and ask their opinion if they're local.  Obviously you'd have to take it on a cold morning if it's only happening when cold.

If you can afford a newer car then that may work out more cost effective than paying the labour cost for a replacement release bearing...none of us can decide that though, depends entirely on your circumstances.

yes it does sound to me like clutch release bearing. does it change at all depending on how far down the clutch pedal is. does it sound the same at one half down as all the way down.  I also agree three piece clutch includes release bearing , it is  a) the driven plate - the one with the linings on,  b) the pressure plate with the spring in, c) the release bearing.

Of course you can't tell what they actually changed unless you watched them do it.  - edit - actually I am wrong there - with that type of release bearing a bit sticks out to connect the hydraulic clutch fluid pipe to so it should be possible to see if that looks newer (black plastic)

Thanks for all the replies.  So today there has been no noise at all, even though car was iced over, roads icy.  When it was squeeling yesterday it was raining and the roads were wet, I'm now wondering if it only happens when it's wet.  Will have to keep you all updated.  I'm in two minds whether to just upgrade the car or run it into the ground as I have spent quite a bit of money on parts the last few thousand miles.  New radiator, clutch, water pump, timing kit, fan belt, tyres, wheel bearing etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club