AppleAlex

Ford Fiesta Mk8 Subwoofer Installation

Recommended Posts

Good evening everyone,

New here (and a new Ford owner), apologies If I am duplicating another thread etc.

I have a Ford Fiesta ST-Line 2018 Navigation without the B&O upgrade, my question is that if I buy the subwoofer (Part: H1BT19A067AA) from a Fiesta that has the B&O system will there be any way to wire it into my non B&O system car?

Any help or advice anyone could give would be an immense help

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Out of curiosity, how come you'd like to install the B&O subwoofer instead of an aftermarket sub? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The B&O system isnt as good as I thought it would be, I've heard better from aftermarket Speakers like Pioneer, Kenwood and even Sony. As far putting the sub in you might have to have the B&O setup on your car for it to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

The B&O system isnt as good as I thought it would be, I've heard better from aftermarket Speakers like Pioneer, Kenwood and even Sony. As far putting the sub in you might have to have the B&O setup on your car for it to work.

I have the B&O system and whilst it's good, it's by no means a show stealer. That's why I was wondering if maybe an alternative aftermarket solution could be better, especially as with the sub alone, you're not getting any of the extra Speakers inside the car which I actually think make more of a difference than the sub. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DG97 said:

Out of curiosity, how come you'd like to install the B&O subwoofer instead of an aftermarket sub? 

Firstly thanks for your reply, the original reason I was considering a B&O subwoofer is because of how nicely it fits in the boot.

13 minutes ago, DG97 said:

I have the B&O system and whilst it's good, it's by no means a show stealer. That's why I was wondering if maybe an alternative aftermarket solution could be better, especially as with the sub alone, you're not getting any of the extra Speakers inside the car which I actually think make more of a difference than the sub. 

I listened to the B&O system in the dealer and was reasonably impressed, the stock audio in my car sounds great and just a tad lacking in the bass department. But based on what you have said, I think I'll look elsewhere! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

The B&O system isnt as good as I thought it would be, I've heard better from aftermarket Speakers like Pioneer, Kenwood and even Sony. As far putting the sub in you might have to have the B&O setup on your car for it to work.

I thought that may be the case, I just liked the whole fit in the boot and forget about it idea of putting in the B&O system. I had a Kenwood head unit in my old car and that alone made the existing Speakers sound great, maybe Ill have a look down the Kenwood route for aftermarket subs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AppleAlex said:

I thought that may be the case, I just liked the whole fit in the boot and forget about it idea of putting in the B&O system. I had a Kenwood head unit in my old car and that alone made the existing Speakers sound great, maybe Ill have a look down the Kenwood route for aftermarket subs.

Fair point on the boot fitment, it's definitely the perfect fit. I would advise you try the aftermarkets first as they may be cheaper and if you try and you're happy with the quality, that'd be the way to go but if either the aftermarket quality is average at best or the fitment becomes problematic, the B&O is still very much a competent performer and you won't be disappointed either way 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote for considering alternatives as well as the B&o system SUB. 

I went to great lengths to get the B&o system and whilst it's a lot better than the std setup I'm not impressed with the SUB at all. 

Good luck with whatever you end up with :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AppleAlex said:

Does anyone have any experiences with the 'Recommended' Ford Sub?

http://www.ford-accessories.co.uk/infotainment/audio/subwoofer/2302684

I was considering getting one of those when I had my ford focus (2012)  but couldn't be bothered finding the wiring etc...

can get the nearly the same sub on amazon for £126 https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-TS-WX130DA-Subwoofer-Class-D-Amplifier-x/dp/B078PHCHSW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548804748&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Pioneer+Subwoofer+TS-WX120A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The salesman at our dealership when we bought the mrs' st line X made serious inroads into talking us out of the B&O sound system as he said the salesmen all predominantly agreed that the quality and what it offered was nothing fantastic for the extra cost of around 300 quid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always wondered if all the wiring is in place for the b&o sub even if you don't have it - might make plumbing in an aftermarket sub easier. ...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonson said:

I have always wondered if all the wiring is in place for the b&o sub even if you don't have it - might make plumbing in an aftermarket sub easier. ...?

I'd be interested to know if this was the case too. Could make the retrofit fairly simple. 

However are the usual Speakers (doors etc) in the MK8 just ford ones or are they B&O but without the subwoofer/software?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DEVSR2 said:

I'd be interested to know if this was the case too. Could make the retrofit fairly simple. 

However are the usual Speakers (doors etc) in the MK8 just ford ones or are they B&O but without the subwoofer/software?

When I was fitting some sound proofing to my car, I took out the alleged B&O speaker to find that it had the Ford Motor Corporation logos on it and don’t remember much mention of B&O on them so it is entirely possible they could be the same as standard but there is just more of them in the car but as I don’t know the exact specs of either speaker, i may be wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @DG97, there may still be a chance then. I'll ask my local dealer when I go in and see if they know. If it's a simple case of buying the part & wiring then it should be fairly straightforward?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the b&o has a woofer and tweeter in the rear rather than a coaxial, and a centre speaker and sub and presumably some sort of extra processing  (software? ). Think the front woofer/tweeter are common.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mavroz said:

The salesman at our dealership when we bought the mrs' st line X made serious inroads into talking us out of the B&O sound system as he said the salesmen all predominantly agreed that the quality and what it offered was nothing fantastic for the extra cost of around 300 quid.

I had a MK8 with the standard setup for a week before my current and the B&o is definitely a decent whack better,  just disappointing it's not as amazing as I'd hoped with all sources.

My main annoyance is not being able to push the emphasis of power to the rear without losing a ton of clarity.  It's way too front speaker orientated for me. 

In real terms though £300 or so more for an ICE upgrade option isn't that much so I guess I was expecting too much. 

I think I'd still probably spec it again having lived with both systems for a period of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, my 2014 ST3 came with as standard, the same Speakers that are in a titanium X as the trim levels are the same.  The Speakers in the doors and rear panels are of a blue-ish plastic type cone not the paper type, a much better quality speaker over standard.  I stuck the black self adhesive sound proofing to the outer body work, mounted the speaker bolts on fabric washers, lined the whole of the rear quarter panels with hollow fibre filling, (fire proof and just like your bed pillows) and hey presto...

The sound was far far better, lots of bass, and even turned the bass setting to minus 1, audio set to 'pop' and honestly the quality is surprisingly good!  So i haven't as yet gone down the road and bought Alpine, Sony or Kenwood aftermarket Speakers...  The sound proofing stops flimsy panels rattling and absorbing all the bass, and mid to high end range is bounced back into the car, i have no need for a sub as that was an idea when i first got my car.

So check what Speakers you do have, and then try sound proofing as above..  That certainly won't cost you £300, and no more than an afternoon taking the trims off, only take one off to see what type they are, if they're paper cone, either get the Ford upgraded ones, or go for aftermarket, that sound proofing is quite cheap on Fleebay, cheaper than Halfords anyway..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may seem like a daft question but can you disconnect and remove the subwoofer from cars that have it, and the radio etc still function as per the standard set up?

Don't bother much with the music these days and personally prefer to have a spare wheel so just wondered if I acquired a car with a subwoofer in future (e.g. an ST-2), could I remove it and swap for a spare wheel?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

This may seem like a daft question but can you disconnect and remove the subwoofer from cars that have it, and the radio etc still function as per the standard set up?

Don't bother much with the music these days and personally prefer to have a spare wheel so just wondered if I acquired a car with a subwoofer in future (e.g. an ST-2), could I remove it and swap for a spare wheel?

 

Pretty sure you can as the sub is plug and play according to one dealer I went to before I bought the car I have.  The salesman reckoned the previous owner used to remove it to fit the spare wheel in there.  I'd questoined it as I genuinely thought the sub wasn't working correctly (now I realise it's source dependant).

Not even sure it would make much difference to the sound in the majority of instances as all the power seems to come from the front Speakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Useful info for the future, thanks Gary. 

I'm tempted to take mine out just to test it now 🤣 knowing my luck I'll snap the connector.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 7:13 PM, tef89 said:

I'm tempted to take mine out just to test it now 🤣 knowing my luck I'll snap the connector.

Gary, just out of interest, did you ever get round to giving this a try?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Gary, just out of interest, did you ever get round to giving this a try?

No, never did m8.  Forgot all about it to be honest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.