So … Here we have a 2009, 1.6 TDCi 110bhp model, not mine, obviously 🤫

Mods so far include:

• K&N (with airbox lid removal)
  • Snorkel Delete
  • Blanked EGR
  • De-Cat
  • DPF Delete
  • Remap Stage 1 - 135bhp / 290nm

The last 3 will be carried out tomorrow morning.

This is what I can tell you so far:

K&N - Huge difference to sound with airbox lid off. Can hear MAF sucking loads of air and chirp from turbo when coming off the throttle when under heavy load.

Snorkel delete - No difference whatsoever. However, it's a useless bit of plastic, save the weight and have more area for cold air flow through the grille directly to the airbox.

Blanked EGR - Huge difference! Massive hole pulling off before and the revs would dip and big hesitancy, vanished when EGR was blanked.

De-Cat, DPF Delete and Remap - All being done together so will report back when that is carried out tomorrow.

Car actually runs really well, I wouldn't say it needs the last 3 doing, but for future proofing and preventing these items failing in the future I am happy to deal with them now before they become troublesome later on.

Something else worth mentioning is diesel. Car runs on Shell V Power and Millers and the car is so much more responsive when run it on this. I use a double shot of millers in 3/4 of a tank of the good stuff and it's like it's had a 50bhp boost. On supermarket fuel I have to be doing over 50mph before I can put the car in 5th, will good fuel and millers I can put it in 5th at 45mph and have instant acceleration, it really has made a big difference.

I also ran this car on Archoil AR6400-D MAX Professional and saw MPG go up from 53mpg to 59mpg, round town! lol.

Hopefully this will be last of the mods, then it's just paying attention to good brakes, tyres, normal running etc.

All good until you fail your next MOT though.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

I'll double check about the cat business before I leave it to be done. There are other diesels out there that never had cats fitted and they ok, plus I think emissions are only tested at idle, but it does concern me if am honest.

Ok now I am worried.. maybe I'll pass on the decat after all then lol. 

1. Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer missing, obviously modified or obviously defective

Major

1. An induction or exhaust leak that could affect emissions levels

Major

1. Evidence that the diesel particulate filter has been tampered with

Major

For vehicles first used between 1 July 2008 and 31 December 2013, the smoke limit will be:

• the level specified on the manufacturer's plate if available
  • 1.5m-1
  •  
    1. Exhaust on a vehicle fitted with a diesel particulate filter emits visible smoke of any colour

Major

• Like 1

I'm just wondering, would it be possible to just change over the combined dpf/cat part of the exhaust for a non modified one for an mot and simply slip it back over again after? But will the mapped ECU then flag dash errors up?

I guess the only solution is to buy another standard ECU and exhaust section for mot and change once a year. Hmm quite like sound of that. 2 days labour a year for a sweet running motor. 

Watch it cost arm n a leg for ECU n cat/dpf now lol.

Thanks for info tho mate, will keep me awake tonight this, need to make right decision.

Except for the dpf, you could get a cell 200 high flow cat and add this as part of the new system.  But as said the dpf. 

• Thanks 1

That sounds like a cool idea. I'll run all options by the man this morning and see what he advises.

Who did you decide to go to in the end?  Would be great to know what they say and what you decide to do...

55 minutes ago, ThePowster said:

That sounds like a cool idea. I'll run all options by the man this morning and see what he advises.

Probably the one that nets him the most profit...

Honestly, DPF delete really isn't worth the hassle nowadays (sure I've said that before :wink: ).  If you did want to go to the effort of swapping a DPF back in for MOT, far better to keep your original DPF for that and cut up a cheap aftermarket one.

• Like 2

OK so I dropped the car off this morning and based on the advice I decided to go with the decat. It's a popular choice and didn't cost me any more to have this done.

When I asked what the benefits were I was told it's a free breathing system, there will be some black smoke now when you boot it but not much, I rarely boot my car as it is and drive like an old lady anyway lol so that doesn't concern me much. For me it's all about reliable motoring, now I will have no dpf, cat, egr etc to ever cause me any problems. Now I can cruise around in 5th at 45mph and just lay back and enjoy the ride, and the 60+mpg on the dash lol.

MOT am told shouldn't be a problem either.

The company is j28remaps and the guy doing it is a really nice chap called Shane. People talk about him online like he's a tuning God. Really easy to talk to and I have complete faith in his advice and abilities and I think he's the only tuner to get 5 outta 5 in the East Midlands.

I wasn't looking to get my car done, it's my bro with his new Mondy that's the problem, he's getting 16mpg and his car is in constant regen mode with the fan always on full chat and a clicking behind the dash which is this exhaust vaporiser that's failed and it cannot complete a regen, so seeing all this I was like sod ever going through that so I might as well get mine done and as they say, prevention is better than the cure 🙂

Should have car back all done just after lunch with an additional 25bhp and 40nm torque. Doesn't sound like much and I am not expecting much, but the extra 15% mpg means it should pay for itself in time.

I'll confirm later once I get it back what she's like :)

Just had garage man ring me and he said mines already been done lmao very honest of him.

So last 4 years and 4 mot's I've not had a cat or dpf and never had a mot fail either, nor any smoke or any problem. I thought it was running well 🤣

Just having ECU checked now to see if that has been done too, quite possibly as no lights on the dash or anything.

Am gutted actually (excuse the pun) I was hoping for more sound from it and it's already cleaned out 😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ThePowster said:

Just had garage man ring me and he said mines already been done lmao very honest of him.

So last 4 years and 4 mot's I've not had a cat or dpf and never had a mot fail either, nor any smoke or any problem. I thought it was running well 🤣

Just having ECU checked now to see if that has been done too, quite possibly as no lights on the dash or anything.

Am gutted actually (excuse the pun) I was hoping for more sound from it and it's already cleaned out 😂

Well, I wasn't expecting that... :lol: 

The ECU will have been mapped to remove the DPF, they go limp with the EML on otherwise.  But it may not have also had the power increased at the same time.

Don't forget the MOT diesel test has only got a lot more strict last April, if your MOT hasn't been done since then, you could find the smoke levels too high now.

• Like 2

Nor me mate lol damn I was looking forward to even better running, probably just get it back as it was and 200 quid lighter for labour to find out lol.

My MOT was done last May and I remember in the test centre there were posters up about the new emissions testing and what to do if your car fails, had no probs back then.

Bugger, just gotta hope it wasn't mapped for power. To think it was done all this time hahaha crazy. OK looks like I will need to look into bolt on supercharger then 🤣

I keep checking the MOT online history for my old one, it passed MOT with me every time but I got rid before the MOT changed.  Will be interested to see if it passes this time...  It's currently up fo sale so looks like the current owner may have decided against putting in for the test.

• Like 1

OK so I am back from the garage. Ya won't believe this..

Car is already decatted and dpf delete. 

As for the map, he said that's been done too. He said it must be a good map because they locked it in the ECU so that it cannot be read so that no one can see what their map is.

He charged me £50 for taking off the dpf to check it and put it back.

I think it was a worthwhile trip today. I learned a lot about my car. I said it ran nice didn't I lol.

I no longer need to boot it on every drive to clear out the PDF and I can drive it leisurely now knowing I am not going to choke it up.

My brother on the other hand with his 2.0 Mondeo, crikey, the remap has made a huge difference. torque steer, wheelspin in second just when you floor it, power in all gears and 50+ mpg, so he's one happy puppy and I am feeling kinda deflated-ish.

No more I can do to my car now, just drive it and enjoy it for what it is :)

but surely you still have the dpf in place. it will still clog up as they do. its just that u wont get the light on the dash and limp mode. or am i wrong.  the only way dpf can be deleted is by removing it and having it then mapped out.

20 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I keep checking the MOT online history for my old one, it passed MOT with me every time but I got rid before the MOT changed.  Will be interested to see if it passes this time...  It's currently up fo sale so looks like the current owner may have decided against putting in for the test.

lol, im doing the same, worse still, due to a ford MOT at Halfords who incorrectly added details to the MOT that were not visible during the MOT, it states on the MOT before my last one that the DPF may have been tampered with. They didn't fail it but I was not chuffed. 

If anyone looks at the history they could probably see the welds with a camera.

12 hours ago, ThePowster said:

My brother on the other hand with his 2.0 Mondeo, crikey, the remap has made a huge difference. torque steer, wheelspin in second just when you floor it, power in all gears and 50+ mpg, so he's one happy puppy 

Its a beast when mapped, I just love the fact that even in 6th gear, you can drop the hammer and take off. I dont rate the clutch lasting all that long but such is life... I wish I could use mine without worrying about dropping in to limp every 30 miles or so.

Nah Michael, while the canister is there at the front of the engine, it's hollow so nothing to choke up inside, all smashed out with hammer n chisel.

That sucks Dee that about the MOT entry.

Not my car any more so it doesn't bother me, in all honesty its probably ended up on the scrapper, I traded it in with 140k on the clock, 2008 plate

If it was auctioned off then someone will have lots of nice surprises and one not so good DPF!

Its mapped, its also got all the wiring in for oil temp and Boost Pressure ST replica gauges, rear camera, reverse sensors, CC, Auto lights / wipers 

Loved that car. I would have spent less money re installing the DPF rather than change car.  As they say, better the devil you know

25 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

lol, im doing the same, worse still, due to a ford MOT at Halfords who incorrectly added details to the MOT that were not visible during the MOT, it states on the MOT before my last one that the DPF may have been tampered with. They didn't fail it but I was not chuffed. 

If anyone looks at the history they could probably see the welds with a camera.

You can see the welds on mine easily from underneath even with the undertray in place...  Fortunately they weren't looking very hard on the last MOT I had done.  My mate did the two before that...and he was the one that gutted and welded the DPF for me lol. :laugh:   

3 minutes ago, Dee_82 said:

Loved that car. I would have spent less money re installing the DPF rather than change car.  As they say, better the devil you know

Not necessarily...apparently mine has had a set of injectors replaced since I sold it less than a year ago! 😮 

• Like 1

Haha, 

Just Checked, Its still on the road and passed the last MOT without issue. Obviously the new measures were not a problem for it. Shes only done 3k since I got rid of her

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club