Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine "cough"

ScottieDave

Hi all. This is my first post. Great to be here. I have a Focus 1.6 diesel '08. I've had it in the garage twice in two weeks, but they can't help (still charged me of course). While I'm driving, the engine sort of coughs, as if I'm about to run out of fuel. I've took note every time it happens. It doesn't matter what speed, revs or if engine is hot or cold. For example, I drive 30 miles to work, and today going to work it done it 5 times, yet on my way home, it was absolutely fine. It doesn't matter if I'm on motorway or not. The only thing I have noticed, is it only happens when I've my foot on the accelerator. I don't want to keep putting car in garage, and being told the same things, so any help would be gratefully received (and I'll buy you a pint). Thanks. Scottie.

Is it roughly at the same mileage, say every 300 miles or so?  If so, it's likely to be a DPF regen starting, if it doesn't complete it will keep starting until it can complete.

Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

If it's completely random and irregular then it sounds like you'll need to get done proper diagnostics on it, Forscan is ideal and there's plenty of info on it on this forum.

Hi Tom, it's completely random. If I didn't need it for work, I wouldn't drive it. I will look into Forscan. Is it a company?

1 hour ago, ScottieDave said:

Hi Tom, it's completely random. If I didn't need it for work, I wouldn't drive it. I will look into Forscan. Is it a company?

Forscan is free software you can download yourself and use to plug in to the car's computer and get fault codes.  You just need a laptop and an ELM327 cable. It might give you a clue to the issues you're having 🙂

Thanks guys. I've just ordered an ELM327 cable from eBay. When it was in the garage, the mechanic said he put it on diagnostic machine, and nothing wrong came up. It's really frustrating. I just worry it will completely conk out on motorway.

10 hours ago, ScottieDave said:

Thanks guys. I've just ordered an ELM327 cable from eBay. When it was in the garage, the mechanic said he put it on diagnostic machine, and nothing wrong came up. It's really frustrating. I just worry it will completely conk out on motorway.

Their diagnostics won't show Ford specific fault codes, that's why we always recommend Forscan on here if generic scanners have failed. :smile: 

Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Also, I just assumed it was a 110 model with a DPF but reading back you didn't say, so could you confirm if that is the case or if it's the 90bhp model?

• Like 1

Hi, I had same cough and ignored it for a few weeks. Eventually it started to float around the revs whilst driving at constant speeds. Idle was also lumpy and loss of power. Turned out to be a wiring loom for the fuel sensor. Took six weeks to back order and replace. Wasn't overly costly to fix though at garage. 

+1 for what @TomsFocus said, modern diesels REALLY don't like tired/dirty fuel filters.

4 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

+1 for what @TomsFocus said, modern diesels REALLY don't like tired/dirty fuel filters.

Someone really needs to make a sticky guide about Forscan and fuel filters to save us giving the same replies to every diesel thread lol.

• Like 1

This will sound really thick, but, how do I find out if it's 90 or 110? It only says in log book, Focus Studio TDCI 1600.

5 minutes ago, ScottieDave said:

This will sound really thick, but, how do I find out if it's 90 or 110? It only says in log book, Focus Studio TDCI 1600.

I would go on go compare or confused and put your reg in.  Should come up with the power there. Or you could try Ford etis.  

Update:  Ford etis! Just tried it and it works.

Finally, found it on Confused. It says it's a 90. Does this make a difference?

8 minutes ago, ScottieDave said:

Finally, found it on Confused. It says it's a 90. Does this make a difference?

Yes. It means you haven't got a DPF!  Welcome to the small exclusive club; you're the second member on here including myself that I know of 😁

Changing the fuel filter would be a good place to start.

OH, I feel important now. I've had to take the day off tomorrow as I don't think it'll make it to work. Hopefully can get it into garage without having to wait. I'd try it myself, but I know nothing about engines.

• Like 1

In garage now. He told me had put a new fuel filter on a couple of weeks ago. He's going to take it for a run tomorrow (guaranteed it won't do it).

19 minutes ago, ScottieDave said:

In garage now. He told me had put a new fuel filter on a couple of weeks ago. He's going to take it for a run tomorrow (guaranteed it won't do it).

Keep us posted!  

Hi. Just had call from garage. Said they had taken it for a good run, and it had done the same with them. They think it could be a broken wire leading to something in the engine, but electrical guy won't be in till Monday.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again guys. Just an update. I'm sad to say, my Focus has passed away to the great garage in the sky 😢. However, I've decided to persevere, and I'm off to see another one tomorrow. Is there anything I can look out for, to make sure I don't get ripped off again?

8 minutes ago, ScottieDave said:

Hello again guys. Just an update. I'm sad to say, my Focus has passed away to the great garage in the sky 😢. However, I've decided to persevere, and I'm off to see another one tomorrow. Is there anything I can look out for, to make sure I don't get ripped off again?

Sorry to hear that mate.  In terms of budget are you still looking at MK2.5 Focus or the MK3, and petrol or diesel?

12 hours ago, ScottieDave said:

I'm going to have a look at a 08 1.8 TDCI Zetec, 155k miles

The 1.8 TDCi is a good solid engine, no carbon issues so no exploding turbos as is all too common on the 1.6 TDCi, no DPF.

2 potential negatives to be aware of:

• The lower belt was changed from chain to belt around late 2007(ish) so even if it's had the "cambelt" done it doesn't mean the garage even checked whether the lower "belt" was chain or belt.  Personally I'd say budget for doing both belts unless there is paperwork explicitly showing both have been changed otherwise you risk things going bang without any warning (If its still got a chain then you don't need to worry as they pretty much last forever).
  • Siemens supplied a crappy batch of injectors sometime in 2008 and they're prone to early failure (I'm not at home so can't access the Ford TSB confirming the date range of models affected).  That said, the affected injectors usually fail at less than 60000 miles, some are reported to have failed at half this so I wouldn't worry too much about this point considering the car you're going to look at has done 155K miles.

I've got the same engine in my early MK2 saloon, 158K miles and all the expensive bits are still original (turbo, clutch, DMF, injectors, high pressure fuel pump etc).  I can 100% recommend blanking the EGR (10 minute job) it doesn't trigger an engine warning light on this engine and makes a nice little difference to how the engine runs, especially as lowish revs/throttle inputs.

Mine's currently doing 54 MPG (measured brim to brim) doing 1 hours each way commutes to work (roughly 70% motorway 30% A/B roads, doing about 66 MPH on the motorway).  Doing 72 MPH on the motorway drops it to about 50 MPG so not too shabby for an 05 plate shed :biggrin:

• Like 1

The important bit for the Focus from the TSB:

TSB 27/2012

5/14/12 Excessive combustion noise and or hesitation during light load acceleration with the engine at high operating temperature

Subject/Concern: Excessive combustion noise and or hesitation during light load acceleration with the engine at high operating temperature

Model:

Focus 2004.75 (07/2004–07/2011) - stage 4 emission level only Build Date: 07/2008-12/2009

So a 1st half of 08 plate should be okay but it's still better the check the build date to be sure.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club