Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2009 1.6 TDCI Power Loss

Gavin78

I know this has been covered in other threads but having thrown a decent chunk of cash at the car, I am still getting the same problem.

So, The main issue is that at motorway speeds the car will some times lose power...it will maintain speed but will barely accelerate even if you change down a couple of gears. I have to shut the car off and immediately restart then the problem goes away....usually on the move.

As part of the 'fix' I have had the turbo refurbed, cleaned the DPF and replaced the EGR. In addition it has also had a full service including new diesel filter and after finding 'black death' around cyl no 3,  new injector seals were also included.

After all this...still the same problem! Any ideas? I have thought maybe diesel pump or maybe even a blocked cat/exhaust but I figured that would throw at least 1 code but so far we see nothing. Anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks for your help. 

Ive had similar (on a different car) I changed the camshaft sensor which sorted it out at the time. Also might be worth checking if this is a chain or cam belt. That can sometimes cause isues like you mention.

1.6tdci is belt driven.  well, sort of,  if you have the newer 8 valve single cam version it is belt driven.   If you have the older 16 valve twin cam version it has a belt from the crankshaft up to one camshaft, then it has a chain from one camshaft to the other camshaft

SO, the cambelt can cause an intermittent issue like that? Did the camshaft sensor failure you experienced not throw up any codes?

• 3 weeks later...

Update - it was the ECU! Apparently it is a somewhat common fault...the EGR controller in the ECU fries likely due to the failure of the EGR itself. The strange thing is that it rarely throws a code and you need to find someone with Ford IDS to interrogate the ECU properly.

I took advantage of having the ECU repaired to have it mapped as well...well worth the effort!  

• Like 2

I had a similar problem on my old 1.6 focus... but got shot of it for a new shiny one! 

Maybe this was the issue too as they never found the reason. Slight inclines at motorway speeds could be comical at times!

On 1/30/2019 at 7:22 PM, isetta said:

1.6tdci is belt driven.  well, sort of,  if you have the newer 8 valve single cam version it is belt driven.   If you have the older 16 valve twin cam version it has a belt from the crankshaft up to one camshaft, then it has a chain from one camshaft to the other camshaft

I hadn't realised this.  Does the chain between cams ever need replacing?  I'm very high mileage, 165,000.  What effect would it have if it snapped?

I don't know if Ford say the chain ever needs replacing after a certain interval. I don't know if you would get warning signs first (eg rattle etc). If it snaps it will be same result as timing belt going, except only 8 valves will be at risk instead of all 16 (as the first camshaft will still be in sync with the pistons from the belt). 

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted out. To reply. My understanding of it is, yes a stretched belt or chain can start causing intermitent engine power loss. Yes there were codes for crankshaft position sensor and off the top of my head there was one or two for something else to do with engine timing.

This would be prior to total faulire though lol!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club