Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Am i the only that thinks a mk1 Focus tinny and skittish

Michael9

Maybe skittish isn't the word to use as it steers good very precise, maybe too precise but kind of light and a bouncy in general don't get me wrong it's good to drive but I don't sit "in it" more "on it" they way the seats are and opening/closing the doors ect are quite light and tinny...this is compared to a mk4 Golf where the build is totally different.

Yes the shocks, springs ect ect are all fine as it just literally went through mot yesterday but driving there and back I felt this after a few months with the Golf

Still a good "wee car" though.

I think it a supper little car ☺️

It's still a good car that's what said at the end but to me it's totally different to my Golf, I do like the solidness of the Golf though but hey ho

I don't know all of the differences between a mk 1 and a mk 1.5, but my car feels solid in every way. I've owned a 51 plate Punto, now that was tinny. My car feels anything but.

• Like 1

My wife had a mk1 (not 1.5) focus at a time when I had a Fiesta mk6.5 .  I thought the Focus felt substantially less tinny, much more solid and sure footed than the fiesta. But it's all comparitive.

• Like 1

I have owned my Mk 1.5 for nine years and it’s always a pleasure to drive.👍

• Like 1

My son has one and there is not one bit of rust on it and it good at passing the mot test ☺️

• Like 1

It's all comparative, yes the Mk4 Golf is considerably better built than the Mk1 Focus.  The Mk6 Golf is still considerably better built than the Mk2 Focus...and even the Mk3 Focus tbh lol.

Although they're rival cars, they appeal to two different markets tbh.  

• Like 2

I remember test driving both at the beginning of the century (crikey, that makes me feel old!😀)

Very much agree with what others have said - I thought the Focus Mk 1 was by far the better drive, the Golf Mk 4 way better built. I always felt the "perceived quality" of the Golf took a bit of a dive with the Mk 5 but the drive was much improved against the Mk 2 Focus. My brother in law had a Mk 1 1.8 tdci for a number of years, and it proved to be a very good car.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It's all comparative, yes the Mk4 Golf is considerably better built than the Mk1 Focus.  The Mk6 Golf is still considerably better built than the Mk2 Focus...and even the Mk3 Focus tbh lol.

Although they're rival cars, they appeal to two different markets tbh.  

Yup, ones lardy (sorry...sturdy) but dull to drive, the other is rather more engaging to drive but doesn't have the same feeling of solidity.  They definitely appeal to different "markets" despite being of a similar size i.e. not everyone wants to be able to have fun blasting down a windy B road on their way to the supermarket.

I miss the quick and precise steering of the mk1 that neither the mk2 or mk3 can match and I doubt the mk4 is as good either. I drove a mk1 Focus for 7 years. Was a great great car. Passed the Nct ( our equivalent of Mot) every time. Never liked the Mk4 Golf. It was a boring stodgy car. The mk5  Golf was a huge improvement on the mk4. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

They definitely appeal to different "markets" despite being of a similar size i.e. not everyone wants to be able to have fun blasting down a windy B road on their way to the supermarket.

Yes they do ie appeal to different drivers, i used to kind of like to put my foot down a bit on county rds but now just can't arsed (age thing i guess : )).

I also can't really be arsed racing from a-z so to speak, i do find the Golf suits the way i sit ect whereas the focus is not just as comfy but still ok. 

I'll keep one and sell one but god knows what..

9 hours ago, Michael9 said:

Yes they do ie appeal to different drivers, i used to kind of like to put my foot down a bit on county rds but now just can't arsed (age thing i guess : )).

I also can't really be arsed racing from a-z so to speak, i do find the Golf suits the way i sit ect whereas the focus is not just as comfy but still ok. 

I'll keep one and sell one but god knows what..

I think you have answered your question 👍

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club