Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Total Loss Cat N

Hello... 

Somebody crashed into me a couple weeks ago, they classed my fiesta as a Total Loss Cat N. 

The damage is as follows, dented drivers front wing, headlight bracket broken, mirror cap clips broken and wheel is scuffed. 

I got the car back from them on salvage and they'll pay me £3,000. 

My question is am I still insured to drive this car? I've not had anybody tell me otherwise. I've tried googling it but information is varied. Do I need an MOT to prove to my insurance that it's road safe? Or can I just continue as normal? 

Thanks guys. 

The car must be roadworthy before driving it on the public road again - so if the wing dent has caused sharp edges, and if the headlight is no longer aligned properly, these issues will need to be addressed first.  

There is no obligation to re-MOT a cat N write off before returning it to the road, but your insurer may request this as proof of roadworthiness.  You will need to check with your insurer as they do vary between companies.  

Often if you have a write off the insurance can be cancelled , you need to check with you insurer.

12 hours ago, XOAdez said:

Hello... 

Somebody crashed into me a couple weeks ago, they classed my fiesta as a Total Loss Cat N. 

The damage is as follows, dented drivers front wing, headlight bracket broken, mirror cap clips broken and wheel is scuffed. 

I got the car back from them on salvage and they'll pay me £3,000. 

My question is am I still insured to drive this car? I've not had anybody tell me otherwise. I've tried googling it but information is varied. Do I need an MOT to prove to my insurance that it's road safe? Or can I just continue as normal? 

Thanks guys. 

Hi there,

As other posters have alluded to we will require a copy of a new MOT to enable us to re-insure a cat N vehicle.

Unfortunately our underwriters won't cover one without it. 

Dan

If you have been paid out I'm pretty sure that means there will be no insurance on the car, as to them, what would you be insuring. Plus if classed a write off you'll need to put through a different sort of MOT to prove that the car is actually road worthy, but it wasn't worth fixing. Don't drive it, get it recovered.  Your MOT laws in England are a lot different to Northern Ireland, so I'm talking from past experience from over here.

2 hours ago, DAN@ADRIAN FLUX said:

Hi there,

As other posters have alluded to we will require a copy of a new MOT to enable us to re-insure a cat N vehicle.

Unfortunately our underwriters won't cover one without it. 

Dan

I did just check with my insurance to double check, they say I'm still insured ("still in force"). 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club