Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Charged an extra £10 for passengers headlight!

I needed a Drivers side headlight after an accident. I used PartsGateway online and a car breaker "Ford Bits" sold me one for £70. They asked for a picture and said my headlights weren't originals, they'd been replaced previously at some point. So because I'd already purchased the drivers side I asked if they had a passenger side to match the drivers side they sent out. Eventually he came back and said yes, £80 for the passenger!

I phoned up and they said they charge more for the passenger side as they're more likely to get damaged. I think they knew I'd pay what they asked as I'd already purchased the drivers side and NEEDED a passenger side to match so put the price up! Have I been done?! 

"Ross" dealt with it via PartsGateway, he's the one that decided the price. I phoned up and spoke to the receptionist who seemed nice, she tried to talk him out of it but he wouldn't budge on price. 

My question is... Is that normal? 

They can really set what prices they want, but truth in what they say, their computer systems may put a larger price on a more commonly requested part.

eBay sellers do the same, their automated listing software will increase the price within certain limits if something starts selling better. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2019 at 2:03 AM, Micro said:

They can really set what prices they want, but truth in what they say, their computer systems may put a larger price on a more commonly requested part.

eBay sellers do the same, their automated listing software will increase the price within certain limits if something starts selling better. 

I never knew that, crazy! 

But... When I received the first headlight (Drivers side), in came wrapped just in bubble wrap, very tightly. Granted there were about 25 layers of wrap but because they'd wrapped it so tightly around the fragile ends of the headlight, the plastic mounts had all broken by the time I got it. So immediately it's useless. 

They sent the passenger side separately as I'd ordered it a day later and surprise... Wrapped the same way and also arrived broken. 

After messaging the guy, he replied with a very long (very long) rant on how it's not their fault, how they've sold "5" headlights since Christmas and this is the first set that has broken. He went on to tell me how I have an attitude, that his business makes £700,000 per year, he spends more than £10 each day on breakfast etc. I'm 100% positive the guy has a screw loose! 

He said send them back for a refund, 3 weeks later I still haven't received my money back and they're coming up with all kinds of excuses. 

Moral of the story, if you need parts, AVOID "Ford Bits" 

I had some mondeo mk4 doors of them arrived with the glass smashed, never did get a refund, that would be about 7 years ago

25 minutes ago, XOAdez said:

I never knew that, crazy! 

But... When I received the first headlight (Drivers side), in came wrapped just in bubble wrap, very tightly. Granted there were about 25 layers of wrap but because they'd wrapped it so tightly around the fragile ends of the headlight, the plastic mounts had all broken by the time I got it. So immediately it's useless. 

He said send them back for a refund, 3 weeks later I still haven't received my money back and they're coming up with all kinds of excuses. 

How did you pay?

If arrived damaged, it's not your issue. If rhey will not refund, claim a chargeback (Visa) or claim from credit card company (Visa/Mastercard credit). If you paid through paypal, use their resolution centre.

Consumer Rights Act 2015 is your friend here, although you can also cancel within 14 days under the CCR.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club