Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Myth Or Truth?

mikael

i recently flicked thru a book on maintenence of cars and came across a section saying that you should always fill the car so its always above half full of petrol, so sludge in the tank dont get into the engine. is this correct or should i just burn the book?

correct too some extent, not too sure about filling it above half all the time but you dont want the crap from bottom of tank getting into the engine cos it just wont start then even if you fill it

Another advantage is apparently if you fill your car halfway you get better mpg!

Another advantage is apparently if you fill your car halfway you get better mpg!

but shouldnt you get more mpg by carrying less weight, several litres of fuel must still weigh quite a few kilos.

and is there any way to clean up the tank?

but shouldnt you get more mpg by carrying less weight, several litres of fuel must still weigh quite a few kilos.

and is there any way to clean up the tank?

Yes, technically, you'll get better mpg on a half tank than a full one. "Red-ex" will clean the fuel injectors etc in your engine if you did notice a drop in performance if its been sucking up the slag, its a fuel additive you put directly into the tank.

I can get 175 miles out of half a tank if I'm careful, whereas I've never got over 300 miles from a full tank on my MK4.

I can get 175 miles out of half a tank if I'm careful, whereas I've never got over 300 miles from a full tank on my MK4.

That's not a subjective comparison though. My previous car would show 175 miles when the gauge was on half, but rarely broke 300 when needed refuelling. It just didn't have a gauge that was completely accurate or consistent over the markings.

Hello

The car will not drag rubbish through its fuel system and block the injectors etc because the mk6 (2002-2008) and mk7 2008- are fitted with inline fuel filters.

The only problems i can see are that the fuel filter will become blocked.

Also with the cars above where will the so called crap come from?

Further more everytime you slow down or stop the fuel in the tank is mixed up anyway.

As from the mk5 onwards fiesta's have plastic tanks so there will not be any rust in tank issues.

Jamie

That's not a subjective comparison though. My previous car would show 175 miles when the gauge was on half, but rarely broke 300 when needed refuelling. It just didn't have a gauge that was completely accurate or consistent over the markings.

My car doesn't "show" anything! The nearest thing i have to a car computer is when my brother has his laptop in there for school.

Hello

Further more everytime you slow down or stop the fuel in the tank is mixed up anyway.

Never thought of this before, good point.

well this old rumour is bullsh... im afraid :) as the pump draws fuel from the bottom of the tank, this is why we have fuel filters

I also think this is rubbish as i have had my fiesta 1.4 ghia x for 12 years (from new) and i always run it to empty (ive had almost 400 miles out of 1 tank).

I have never had a problem, though saying that its probably because i've run it on fumes which hasn't given any chance for muck to build up.

My car doesn't "show" anything! The nearest thing i have to a car computer is when my brother has his laptop in there for school.

You haven't got a fuel gauge? because that's what I'm talking about, hence the words "gauge" and "markings" in the post.

You haven't got a fuel gauge? because that's what I'm talking about, hence the words "gauge" and "markings" in the post.

i just count the number of lamp posts i pass. tho it does keep me fairly isolated in town

Why am i not surprised at this reply. Yes, i have a fuel gauge. You merely made it sound by saying "showing 175" that it was showing it before the half tank had run out. All i know is when my fuel gauge states it is at half (wrongly, obviously) from there until empty it does 175 miles.

Why am i not surprised at this reply. Yes, i have a fuel gauge. You merely made it sound by saying "showing 175" that it was showing it before the half tank had run out. All i know is when my fuel gauge states it is at half (wrongly, obviously) from there until empty it does 175 miles.

If you had actually read and understood what I wrote I wouldn't have had to reply.

Most cars since the year dot has a trip meter, the way, I would imagine, how you worked out the mileage compared to fuel used.

I really cannot be arsed to go down the pathetic route of a slanging match on a !Removed! internet forum, so i'm leaving it here.

Dull weather today...

Most cars since the year dot has a trip meter, the way, I would imagine, how you worked out the mileage compared to fuel used.

That is correct

I really cannot be arsed to go down the pathetic route of a slanging match on a !Removed! internet forum, so i'm leaving it here.

Dull weather today...

I'm not asking you to go into a slanging match, I'm asking you to read what I actually write, that's all.

I'm not asking you to go into a slanging match, I'm asking you to read what I actually write, that's all.

I read, I probably misunderstood (that happens quite alot)

Anyway, on to more pressing matters

lolcat-faith-heealer.jpg

Michael P, seems like you need a hobby!

Cheers, I'll bear that in mind :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club