Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK3 - OEM Cruise install! HELP!

Jonnysch

Hi! Please if anyone can help me please do anything will do!

im upgrading my focus 2012 to have cruise control, I have replaced the steering wheel and had the ECU reprogrammed, spoke to a ford tech and advised checking the clock spring for compatibility. Speaking with ford they have a clock spring but the only difference to mine is with or without lane keeping ( nothing to do with cruise) 

whats my next step? Thanks for any help! 

Jonny 

2 hours ago, Jonnysch said:

Hi! Please if anyone can help me please do anything will do!

im upgrading my focus 2012 to have cruise control, I have replaced the steering wheel and had the ECU reprogrammed, spoke to a ford tech and advised checking the clock spring for compatibility. Speaking with ford they have a clock spring but the only difference to mine is with or without lane keeping ( nothing to do with cruise) 

whats my next step? Thanks for any help! 

Jonny 

Hi, is it a petrol or diesel? 

• Like 1

When you say ECU reprogrammed, what was actually done? 

• Like 1

It’s a diesel 1.6 TDCI - and when I say about the ECU, I had a ford tech with his laptop plug in to the OBD and turn cruise control on and he said it went smooth so it can be done. ( not ecu  sorry was being a melt) 

thanks 

2 hours ago, Jonnysch said:

It’s a diesel 1.6 TDCI - and when I say about the ECU, I had a ford tech with his laptop plug in to the OBD and turn cruise control on and he said it went smooth so it can be done. ( not ecu  sorry was being a melt) 

thanks 

Ford now come back saying that they have a clock spring with cruise control for £125 , does anyone thing this will work? Nothing coming up on the cluster to show it will work.. however buttons are lit up and has been programmed to be on and went successfully meaning the connections to the ECU must exist? Maybe I need a new cluster? Wouldn’t have thought that would make much difference though 

All I did when I installed cruise was replace the steering wheel with the one that had it and replaced the airbag installed and activated, turned on cruise with ASL in Focccus

Is it a really basic spec?  Edge or similar?  Zetec and above should be simple plug in & activate on a 2012.

Did they activate the cruise control in the Bcmii and the PCM? 

It’s a zetec, it was activated in the Bcmii not sure about the PCM , he was a ford tech so I assume he did it properly. 

1 hour ago, Ryan_Tango said:

All I did when I installed cruise was replace the steering wheel with the one that had it and replaced the airbag installed and activated, turned on cruise with ASL in Focccus

You changed the airbag as well as the steering wheel?

cheers

You got the earlier steering wheel with cruise on it ? Is the audio control still in the same place? 

58 minutes ago, Jonnysch said:

It’s a zetec, it was activated in the Bcmii not sure about the PCM , he was a ford tech so I assume he did it properly. 

Hi,

Don't always assume they have done it properly, check that the Bcmii & PCM has been done otherwise it will never work, Ford IDS will not allow customisation of the mudules unless you fudge it by using the vin number from a higher spec car, I'd be double checking and questioning exactly what they have done and charged you for... 

3 hours ago, Jonnysch said:

Ford now come back saying that they have a clock spring with cruise control for £125 , does anyone thing this will work? Nothing coming up on the cluster to show it will work.. however buttons are lit up and has been programmed to be on and went successfully meaning the connections to the ECU must exist? Maybe I need a new cluster? Wouldn’t have thought that would make much difference though 

Have just looked on my Ford microcat (parts catalog) and there are only two contact assemblies listed for your focus (clockspring) 1 with lane keeping aid and one without, there is not one listed with cruise control so think this is a red herring, have you checked that the clutch switch and brake switches are correct for cruise control as sometimes on early mk3s they were missing? 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jonnysch said:

You changed the airbag as well as the steering wheel?

cheers

Not for a brand new one just simply took the airbag out the old steering wheel and put into the new one.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 3:01 PM, Tebba said:

Have just looked on my Ford microcat (parts catalog) and there are only two contact assemblies listed for your focus (clockspring) 1 with lane keeping aid and one without, there is not one listed with cruise control so think this is a red herring, have you checked that the clutch switch and brake switches are correct for cruise control as sometimes on early mk3s they were missing? 

For those who also struggle with the same problems, this man has kindly devoted a lot of time into helping me resolve this..

flicking through the editable settings on forscan, adjustable speed limiter (ASL) was not turned on, this needs to be turned on with cruise control as to match the buttons on the steering wheel, I made the assumption that it would all some as one lump. but it doesn't.

Many thanks to you paul :)

• Like 2