Do Not Sell My Personal Information

new st-line, worried about security.

Shepster48

19 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

Why does the OBD need to stay live after the car is locked anyway?

Its eu legislation apparently. However, My friend who has a scirocco said his ignition has to be on before the obd can be used. Im unsure of how new his car is, so maybe eu law has changed since then. So if ford had done the same where the key had to be in the car before the obd was usable this would have saved many countless thefts. No usable obd, no cloning the key.

All ford owners would have to do is ensure it was in a Faraday pouch to stop the relay hack.

Im assuming it must be eu law for it to be continually live or Ford are idiots.

This will hurt ford in the long run. Mk9's will have to be more secure than this. 

Article in The Sun today, mentions Ford from next year will be fitting motion sensors into new keys, meaning the key will turn off if its not moved for 40 seconds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TDCiST said:

Article in The Sun today, mentions Ford from next year will be fitting motion sensors into new keys, meaning the key will turn off if its not moved for 40 seconds.

Thanks for the info.

At least some future Ford owners will sleep a bit easier at night although the armed guards some may employ may have to find alternative jobs.😂

• Haha 3

I’ve decided I’m not messing about with all this crap. I’ve sent the disklok back.  Will keep the obd stickers as they were a quid. 

I’m having a Clifford alarm fitted. None of this obd bullsh*t. Separate immobiliser, proximity alarm, hijack mode, sorted. 

3 years of peace. If they nick it with all that on it, they can keep the blooming thing. That’s what insurance is for.

Be careful out there.

peace out.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:29 PM, eddie eastwood said:

It takes longer to overcome the Disklok than it does to overcome the bar type steering wheel locks. I have had mine since 2004 they are a great visual deterrent Decent security comes at a price. With the bar type you can hacksaw the steering wheel to remove them.

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/158469/best-steering-wheel-locks-to-buy-2018

Best steering wheel locks to buy 2018

True by about 1 minute that is why i wont pay £100+,my bar lock is tight on the wheel and comes always in the top 5 for £15 and Disklok first or close,anyway shouldn't have to use all this stuff on a new car and mine is 8 years old,mine is the Monojoy,they all take no longer than around 3 minutes or so to get off and don't like the Disklok being bulky and it twist and a mad price.

Steering locks only takes a few minutes and i don't think is the way,OBD port stuff is one of the best.

https://procarreviews.com/best-steering-wheel-lock/

https://www.carbibles.com/best-steering-wheel-lock/

Hi

I get my leased fiesta st-line on Thursday.

has anyone managed to move their obd from the mk8 fiesta yet? No-one on line seems to have done it or posted if it’s possible.

can anyone with a mk8 fiesta confirm if the obd cuts out for 10 minutes when the alarm is activated? Someone earlier in the thread posted the statement but I have yet to see anyone confirm it’s true. A Ford spokesmen reckons it does but I’ve been speaking to a guy who fits Clifford alarms and he states it doesn’t. But surely the ford spokesman can’t just go around stating lies. 

So for anyone who doesn’t want to spend hundreds on an aftermarket alarm I think the main thing would be to ensure the thieves can’t just stick one hand into car and access the port. Having to use both hands will mean enough of the body is in the car to trigger the perimeter alarm. I thought about jamming a piece of plastic in the obd port centre line so the thieves can’t put a connector it. The plastic will be removable but only with more time and being able to get to it with 2 hands and tweezers. The thieves won’t have that amount time if the alarm is going off.

I guess the other option is to point some kind of motion sensor at the dead zone near the wing mirror. I’ve seen a very cheap sensor that alerts the owner while he’s in the house as the receiver is a plug-in. It’s usually for driveways but if it alerts me of someone in the car me and my bad can get them.

Im considering the Clifford alarm but it is quite pricey, and I have to have it taken out at the end of the lease and put into the next car. But if I can’t get a cheap fix to the obd problem then an aftermarket alarm will be purchased. 

Check out youtube, there is a chap called Jonny who looks at all the options to prevent this. His channel is JB I think.

This seems like an idea if you dont want to do it yourself. If you put the disable switch in the middle of the car so they have no option but to set off the perimeter alarm. Cheaper than a clifford but they can still nick it by other means i guess.

http://www.rates.co.uk/ford/vehicle-servicing/special-offers/vehicle-servicing-obd.aspx

Forgot to mention. The alarm guy said the newest form of fiesta car theft was by them accessing the brains of the car by the wing mirror wiring!!!

Anyone else heard of this? 

That doesn't sound likely, the door mirror wiring has no canbus to tap into. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Shepster48 said:

Forgot to mention. The alarm guy said the newest form of fiesta car theft was by them accessing the brains of the car by the wing mirror wiring!!!

Probably means the OBD port which is close by to the wing mirror

23 minutes ago, iantt said:

That doesn't sound likely, the door mirror wiring has no canbus to tap into. 

Thank you. I wondered if he was just using scare tactics. I think an obd disabling switch is my best route. I think having a full clifford 650 is a little expensive for a lease car.

1 minute ago, robbyvrs said:

Probably means the OBD port which is close by to the wing mirror

Would they still need to smash the window? He was saying its the newest method that hes just been made aware of.

1 hour ago, Shepster48 said:

So are you going to take the wing mirrors off now too?🤣

• Haha 3

I just can't believe the OP has posted soooo many concerns and is still going to buy/lease one!

Shepster, why not just get the car, leave it standard with the Thatcham approved security that the insurers are happy with and if it gets nicked then claim on your insurance?

I honestly dont know why you are so worried about it?

• Like 3

I get the proactive approach to security and won’t stop anyone from doing whatever they want to do to secure their car but...

Checking if you can get two hands in before the alarm sets off, investing in different alarms, carrying steering wheel locks around with you, worrying if they can steal it via wing mirror wiring is just too much imo

moving the obd port is a plausible option but at the same time, not really something i’d be doing myself. 

At the end of the day, you have to look at what you have to potentially lose... it’s not a car that has been cherished by generations in the family, it is a Fiesta like many others. Chances are if they want to take it they will, or at least they’ll cause damage trying and there isn’t any stopping that. Insurance is there to cover the losses. 

Worrying about silly stuff like “can they steal it via the wing mirrors” is just far too time consuming for me. It’s a bit like saying, can they bring a tow car with them, take it and then try and make it start in their own garage. 

My advice would be instead of worrying about obd ports, alarm effectiveness or wing mirrors - just invest in a good tracking device. I know it won’t stop the car being taken, but you’ll likely get it back and track the people that took it. 

• Like 4

OMG, never mind it getting nicked, the Fiesta is the most likely car on the road to be crashed in to. I can't wait to read all the preventative measures for that one!😉

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/5968936/do-you-drive-one-of-these-cars-watch-out-as-youre-most-likely-to-be-the-victim-of-a-car-crash/

I fitted an aftermarket immobiliser to mine... mainly to help me sleep at night form worrying it was going to not be on the driveway the next morning! (8x high value or sought after hot hatches went missing around our area in 2 weeks)

thats all I’ve done, and keep the keys in a tin to block any repeater signals picking them up.

it wont stop them towing it, or lifting it... or even damaging it, but for my piece of mind it was worth it. 

8 hours ago, WES180 said:

I just can't believe the OP has posted soooo many concerns and is still going to buy/lease one!

Shepster, why not just get the car, leave it standard with the Thatcham approved security that the insurers are happy with and if it gets nicked then claim on your insurance?

I honestly dont know why you are so worried about it?

You are so right here,if they want it they will get it and if not just do very bad Damage trying to,don't worry and as WES180 said is right.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shepster48 said:

I thought about jamming a piece of plastic in the obd port centre line so the thieves can’t put a connector it. The plastic will be removable but only with more time and being able to get to it with 2 hands and tweezers. The thieves won’t have that amount time if the alarm is going off.

You can buy proper OBD port covers that are quite hard to remove without 2 hands and being parallel to the cover. I got one for a couple of pounds. Better than “jamming” in a piece of plastic and potentially damaging something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiFiesta said:

You can buy proper OBD port covers that are quite hard to remove without 2 hands and being parallel to the cover. I got one for a couple of pounds. Better than “jamming” in a piece of plastic and potentially damaging something. 

It might be worth adding a link for that for the OP as I couldn't find one on eBay. I was just curious as to what it was, I don't actually want one.🙂

I did find this rather expensive option though but only available for the mk7 and other Ford models up to now.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323686068977

I got it off a local manufacturer here in Thailand. I also couldn’t find them on eBay, but they’re clearly available elsewhere

Ahhh freedom of speech very much alive on this post....🤣

Enough of this paranoid posting but I will leave this suggestion for all to ponder....

If you look at the obd port there are two mounting bolts with nuts holding the port to the underside of the dash. Surely a simple right-angled metal bracket mounted off these bolts and positioned so it covers the front of the port would prevent anyone accessing the port via the window or inside the car or door mirror 🥴. Any would-be obd hijacker would have to set off the alarm whilst trying to by-pass the bracket (either by trying to force it off or using tools to undo the nuts), and I would suggest setting the alarm off would deter any further attempt to steal the car unless they are that determined to take a ride in a Fiesta. Obviously they would do some damage to your pride and joy in the process of doing all this...so might still be an insurance job.

Anyway might be worth looking into for all you nervous people out there in need of reassurance. 😎

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club