Do Not Sell My Personal Information

new st-line, worried about security.

Shepster48

Yes, seen this before, in a vid on youtube, made a very good job of it.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, martinf64 said:

...🤣 if you look at the obd port there are two mounting bolts with nuts holding the port to the underside of the dash. Surely a simple right-angled metal bracket mounted off these bolts and positioned so it covers the front of the port would prevent anyone accessing the port via the window or inside the car or door mirror 🥴. Any would-be obd hijacker would have to set off the alarm whilst trying to by-pass the bracket (either by trying to force it off or using tools to undo the nuts), and I would suggest setting the alarm off would deter any further attempt to steal the car unless they are that determined to take a ride in a Fiesta. Obviously they would do some damage to your pride and joy in the process of doing all this...so might still be an insurance job.

Anyway might be worth looking into for all you nervous people out there in need of reassurance. 😎

This is great advice and the youtube vid is excellent.

I have found a very cheap bracket that is perfect. Its 30mm square angled steel  as per the video and 200mm long so enough for 2 lengths. Its only £3.49 at wickes.

As its a meant for builders it has a few tiny screw holes in there but you can always fill them before spraying black but im not bothering.

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Galvanised-Angle-Plate-30x200mm/p/152716

I am also going to use security screws as per the video. Take out the data connector fuse and put on a obd disabled sticker and you have a cheap way of making it harder for the thieves.

I had a look at the fuse removal. This has got to be the easiest way to do it if the fuse out does not cause any issue.

19 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

I had a look at the fuse removal. This has got to be the easiest way to do it if the fuse out does not cause any issue.

It is the easiest and I’ve done the same. But some use a self powering obd reader ( the ones that use a raspberry pi I believe) so the metal plate is to stop those. 

To be honest I am pretty sure it can be moved quite easily. There’s a fair bit of room under the dash. That’s probably the cheapest way to keep the car safe. 

Tomorrow I’m going to test if the obd cuts out for 10 minutes when the alarm is triggered, like the spokesman from ford stated. Or whether he’s telling porky pies.

51 minutes ago, Shepster48 said:

It is the easiest and I’ve done the same. But some use a self powering obd reader ( the ones that use a raspberry pi I believe) so the metal plate is to stop those. 

To be honest I am pretty sure it can be moved quite easily. There’s a fair bit of room under the dash. That’s probably the cheapest way to keep the car safe. 

Tomorrow I’m going to test if the obd cuts out for 10 minutes when the alarm is triggered, like the spokesman from ford stated. Or whether he’s telling porky pies.

When you make the metal bracket OBD cover would you be so kind as to post the width between the holes you drill? I’ll be making one of these for when I get my Fiesta so the hole measurements will mean I can have it ready for when I get the car. 

Never in my days would I have thought there would have been so much paranoia about having Fiestas nicked and the weird and wonderful ways people will look to try to put extra security in place. 😆

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Never in my days would I have thought there would have been so much paranoia about having Fiestas nicked and the weird and wonderful ways people will look to try to put extra security in place. 😆

Four pages and counting 🤐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, martinf64 said:

Four pages and counting 🤐

If it is really that bad then how are these cars still insurable? Just look what happened to likes of the Sierra Cosworths back in the day when thieves realised how easy they could be nicked, values plummeted and insurance rocketed. I only wish I could have snapped a few up when they went so cheap and stored them in a lock up for years.

I wonder if any of the suggested modifications and alterations will affect the insurance and warranty?

I'm suprised that there aren't official Thatcham approved OBD security devices yet, maybe they are in the pipeline?

Edit - I stand corrected, there are Thatcham approved devices already

https://www.obdportector.com/portector/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh9u5sbTR4AIVQZztCh2n6w32EAAYAiAAEgL2jfD_BwE

13 hours ago, Mavroz said:

I actually think it’s a valid worry, fiestas are being stolen to order, or maybe you all like to think it’s obviously not happening and there’s no problem with the fiesta obd port or a dead zone with the alarm...🙈🙊🙉

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/937639/Ford-Fiesta-keyless-entry-car-theft-UK

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/ford-fiestas-risk-keyless-theft-gangs/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/major-security-warning-ford-fiesta-12260763

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/07/cars-brands-most-likely-to-be-stolen/

https://www.theweek.co.uk/80123/revealed-the-five-cars-most-at-risk-of-being-stolen

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/691763/Ford-Fiesta-thefts-keyless-Cleveland-Police-eBay-Amazon-signal-blocking

• Like 1

I was just wondering if we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot to some extent by posting up various ingenious security solutions? It is a public forum after all, and anyone can have a browse, including the light-fingered.

12 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

I was just wondering if we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot to some extent by posting up various ingenious security solutions? It is a public forum after all, and anyone can have a browse, including the light-fingered.

Good thought but I think any thief worth their money will probably be relatively wary of the solutions people use. It's more of a case of if solution is effectively executed, then in the limited amount of time a thief has, he's a bit more likely to give up if he's struggling to steal the car. That's how i would see it anyway 😛 

32 minutes ago, Shepster48 said:

I definitely agree with you that it's a valid concern but I dont think the issue is specific to Fiesta's alone. There are tonnes of other vehicles with very similar vulnerabilities and I dont think the Fiesta is a unique enough vehicle (apart from the ST) to warrant excessive measures on how to protect the car. Comes down to what people think is excessive or not and I think this thread is one of those where people have different thoughts about what is considered the best way and others may think it's too much and it's each to their own! 

Some may sleep better with OBD protection and alarm improvements and others may sleep better being happy with insurance payouts should the theft happen. I think it's definitely a worthy cause to discuss though but as I mentioned before, bearing in mind the issues arent unique to Fiesta's, in my opinion, I don't think the risk is high enough to worry about anything significant to add on as an extra security measure. I guess my opinion is also formed on the areas where I usually keep my car, not to say it cant happen in the future - but where I live there is virtually no crime ( I think 2 minor things reported in the past 10 years) and my work car park has about a 100 other cars in it, CCTV and a bloke who sometimes supervises it. Obviously I take my car to other places in between, but I dont think the 2019 thief will target my car in Sainsburys on a weekend rush hour 🙂 

• Like 1

When I mention 2 minor things in the past 10 years - i meant something related to vehicle theft, 2 crimes in 10 years would have been quite the achievement!

For me it's not something to worry about over the inconvenience having my car stolen would cause, and the potential hike in insurance cost, it's more about making it more difficult for the little <insert expletive here> to take something I've worked hard to afford so I'll do simple things that cost next to nothing try and do that.

1 hour ago, DG97 said:

It's more of a case of if solution is effectively executed, then in the limited amount of time a thief has, he's a bit more likely to give up if he's struggling to steal the car. That's how i would see it anyway 😛 

Agreed - that's why I use a xxxxxxxx  on my car.

If only you could still just take the rotor arm with you when you park.....😀 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Agreed - that's why I use a xxxxxxxx  on my car.

If only you could still just take the rotor arm with you when you park.....😀 

2 cans of Australian lager? Well Castlemaine XXXX is so bad people probably wouldn't steal a car with some in.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, ElliotReid said:

2 cans of Australian lager? Well Castlemaine XXXX is so bad people probably wouldn't steal a car with some in.

Damn! You've given away my secret!😀

• Like 1

With regards to the OBD going dead when the alarm is sounded, I am sure this was tested in a showroom and mentioned before. They opened the drivers window, and locked the car. Then a hand was placed inside and reached down to the OBD and the alarm did not sound. Now, this is not very scientific as there was no glass being thrown around the car which may set the alarm off in real circumstances.

12 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

With regards to the OBD going dead when the alarm is sounded, I am sure this was tested in a showroom and mentioned before. They opened the drivers window, and locked the car. Then a hand was placed inside and reached down to the OBD and the alarm did not sound. Now, this is not very scientific as there was no glass being thrown around the car which may set the alarm off in real circumstances.

I agree you can get to the port without the alarm sounding if they lean down with one hand in the dead zone. What I mean is if the obd is moved or a plate is placed over the obd, the thief would have no other option but to get inside the car to try and get around these extra precautions thus setting off the perimeter alarm. I tested the alarm, they arent getting far inside without setting that alarm off. What I am going to test tomorrow is if, once the perimeter alarm is triggered, the obd is indeed rendered dead for 10 minutes as stated by the ford spokesman. The Clifford alarm guy I spoke too said it didn’t but I want to test myself.

Here’s my two cents regarding this thread.

Does a thread like this give thieves an insight to what owners are doing to protect the obd? I very much doubt it, a thief will already have thought of these, and they will be thousands of other owners who will leave the obd wide open. They will just choose their car instead.  

This thread has taken a bit of (light humoured) flack, i know a lot on here think we are paranoid. But I think for just a couple of quid and a bit of foresight, we can save ourselves a buttload of problems claiming on our insurance, sorting out the courtesy car or even having to get home if the car is stolen while out. I just don’t want that hassle and I think this thread is great for us new owners, like myself, who have never had a keyless car before. I know cars have always been stolen, but it’s now back on the increase and it’s no co-incidence it’s due to keyless cars. It’s the ease and regularity at which these keyless fiesta’s are being stolen that gripes me. I saw a pie chart of cars stolen in the midlands and ford was nearly half of all cars stolen. So Ford alone was nearly the same as all the other cars, even high value cars put together. The availability of these readers is a worry and even a lazy thief can have a £16k car in seconds. Even with cctv, the little gits just wear a scarf and a hoody and there’s no court in the land who would convict on that footage alone. I’m sure if it wasn’t for the crazy EU legislation, all car manufacturers would have the obd well locked down, but we just have to live with it and make it hard for them.

I know it’s not just fiesta’s getting stolen, but when you look at which cars are being stolen, fiesta’s seem to be the only “lower end” car in the list. Why? I do not have a ***** clue. I’m sure an st line or titanium must be more for parts, than being stolen to order to be put in a container for a foreign buyer (I would put an rs or an st in this category)

paranoid? Maybe, but think of how we protect our house and sheds. I can tell you now even with the flat screen tv’s and games consoles, laptop, iPad, all the nickable stuff in the whole of my house does not come anywhere near what that car is worth. My house is like Fort Knox (or will be after cctv) but I keep a £16k car on my drive that in theory can be stolen in seconds, relying on the p1ss poor alarm that ford has fitted. I’m a little annoyed with Ford as they knew the dead zone flaw on the Mk7 yet have done absolutely nothing to combat it in the Mk8. They could have fitted a few more sensors in the dead zones for a couple of quid but haven’t done a thing to combat it. 

After having my car a few days, spending just a couple of minutes looking under the dash around the port, I’m pretty sure it can be moved or at worst very well protected. If I’m correct, moving the port will cost 2 tie wraps. If the port can’t be moved, it has cost me £3.49 for the plate, 20 seconds to cut it, and a couple of quid for security nuts. Even if you do nothing else, removing the data connection fuse until the next service could be enough to save your car. 30 seconds tops. 

Im under no illusion that if a thief wants my car he’ll get it, that’s what insurance is for. But just for the sake of a couple of quid I at least want them to have to work to get it. Hopefully, if they try on my drive, I will have done enough to give me enough time to get downstairs and introduce them to my baseball bat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surely all this talk of alarm dead zones means that the zero-cost mod of removing the OBD fuse is the one to go for? You can't refit it without dropping the glove box which would set the alarm off and disable the port anyway. Buy a £2 window sticker and the thief won't even bother trying.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When you do install the bracket file the edges down so they’re nice and sharp. Actually better not, you’ll be the one in trouble if you do 😀

3 hours ago, TimST2 said:

Surely all this talk of alarm dead zones means that the zero-cost mod of removing the OBD fuse is the one to go for? You can't refit it without dropping the glove box which would set the alarm off and disable the port anyway. Buy a £2 window sticker and the thief won't even bother trying.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Im not sure of the ratio but some of these obd readers they use to clone the key and start the car are self powered. Removing the fuse will not work in that instance. It will stop the non powered ones, but those using the raspberry pi  powered versions are aparently self powered as the computer needs to be running.

The sticker is definitely a good idea. It was the first thing i did, as was the removal of the fuse.

I remember in the late 80's when cars being stolen was rife, a simple visable deterrant like a flashing light would make the opportunist thief think twice.

The sticker is a good idea for the sake of a quid or two. My wife said the sticker was a joke. But to me, although it is just a sticker, it states to the thief, you know about the flaw with the port and its been dealt with. Keyless cars are common now, especially with new cars. Its much easier for the thief to go for one where the owner is oblivious to the thread of obd entry than risk getting caught where stealing it would take time. Thieves want to be in and gone.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2019 at 8:06 PM, ElliotReid said:

When you make the metal bracket OBD cover would you be so kind as to post the width between the holes you drill? I’ll be making one of these for when I get my Fiesta so the hole measurements will mean I can have it ready for when I get the car. 

The holes are 70mm apart from each centre. 

Just got an insurance quote for our car that is due soon. The quote was £15 more than our current Fiat 500.

I have mixed feelings about all this. Yes, there must be an issue with these vehicles being stolen, along with other brands that are easily accessed. Also, if there are low costs methods to deter thieves, then why would an owner not do it as a small deterrent. Other than that, we are in the hands of the manufacturers to help us by changing things quickly so these thefts do not happen. I would imagine that there are some league charts of stolen vehicles and it would be in the public interest for such data to be made available?

On 2/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, DG97 said:

but I dont think the 2019 thief will target my car in Sainsburys on a weekend rush hour 🙂 

I recall reading about a Fiesta ST parked in the main car park at the Showcase cinema in Leeds being stripped of parts (alloys, bonnet, bumpers, skirts, tailgate) while the owner was watching a film - maybe 2 hours max?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club