Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finding previously owned vehicle

Dan Cullen

May sound like a silly question, but used to own a Fiesta MK5 that I sold a few years ago. I would be looking to track this down with the view to buy back, any ideas how to go about this?

Thanks, yes still MOT'd and taxed not too long ago

I think unless you've got a friend in the DVLA or Police you will struggle to track it down. Why not put some pics and the reg on here, someone might recognise it or even be the owner.🙂

don't the DVLA sell details for a few quid to anybody with a reasonable excuse to require that information?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

Edited by cjay1
added link

They do, bit usually a valid reason is needed. 

I want to buy this car usually isn't enough for them. 

Due to GDPR you will have a bat in hell chance of getting any information about it.

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Information about another vehicle or its registered keeper

You can ask for details of another vehicle’s registered keeper. You’ll need a ‘reasonable cause’, for example:

• finding out who was responsible for an accident
  • tracing the registered keeper of an abandoned vehicle
  • tracing the registered keeper of a vehicle parked on private land
  • giving out parking tickets
  • giving out trespass charge notices
  • tracing people responsible for driving off without paying for goods and services
  • tracing people suspected of insurance fraud

Private car parking management companies that give out parking tickets or trespass charge notices can only request information from DVLA if they’re members of the British Parking Association or the International Parking Community.

1 hour ago, eddie eastwood said:

Due to GDPR you will have a bat in hell chance of getting any information about it.

https://www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla

Information about another vehicle or its registered keeper

You can ask for details of another vehicle’s registered keeper. You’ll need a ‘reasonable cause’, for example:

• finding out who was responsible for an accident
  • tracing the registered keeper of an abandoned vehicle
  • tracing the registered keeper of a vehicle parked on private land
  • giving out parking tickets
  • giving out trespass charge notices
  • tracing people responsible for driving off without paying for goods and services
  • tracing people suspected of insurance fraud

Private car parking management companies that give out parking tickets or trespass charge notices can only request information from DVLA if they’re members of the British Parking Association or the International Parking Community.

GDPR hasn't killed all chances of information, the DPA was already in place. 

On 2/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, Dan Cullen said:

May sound like a silly question, but used to own a Fiesta MK5 that I sold a few years ago. I would be looking to track this down with the view to buy back, any ideas how to go about this?

Watch this video for some inspiration!

@craig26283

After I acquired the Focus in March 2016 I used that DVLA form and they let me have  the names of the 5 previous owners. We also got ourselves a Volvo S40 in December 2017 and filled in the same form again and the reply from the DVLA this time was that they could no longer give us the names of the previous owners due to GDPR except for the one that was on the newly issued to me V5. I even phoned the sender of the DVLA letter and he confirmed that it was due to GDPR that they no longer gave out the names of previous owners.

as said above, DPA was in place before GDPR. A lot of stuff might be blamed on GDPR which were actually included in DPA but GDPR seems to have refocussed organisations thoughts on the issue and everyone seems to be taking it more seriously then they did take the DPA. One thing being because of the potential fines. When I say 'everyone' I mean larger organisations. The regulator will no doubt want to make an example of someone big at some point. And that will get a load of money in (fine) to pay for the running of the regulator and their christmas party. I reckon a hell of a lot of small businesses (eg. one person businesses) don't have a clue about the regs.  eg. keeping a personal data, how long you can keep it for, what purposes you can keep it for, reporting any data breach to the regulator within very strict timescales, sending out data breach notifications to anyone who might have had their data breached etc. 

• Like 1