Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Creaking Noise - Mk7

aph1101

I also still have the creak, but seeing as the car feels fine to drive it doesn't really bother me that much anymore, just turn the radio up a bit.

Yeah, that's the problem, I have the radio turned down, as I'm just about to hit maccy dees first window, and that's when I noticed it!

Have we got a Ford employee on the forum who can look at the Ford system and see if Ford are aware of this concern.?????

Ask the dealer about TSB 19/2010 "Knocking noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel during driving and standing still".

"Should a customer express concern about a knocking noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel during driving and standing still, the possible cause is missing lubrication at the sliding surfaces between the male and female tubes of the lower steering shaft."

Hope this helps.... B)

• Like 1

Ask the dealer about TSB 19/2010 "Knocking noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel during driving and standing still".

Hope this helps.... B)

Thanks for the info, to save going to the dealer do you know if it is possible to get to the sliding surfaces between the male and female tubes of the lower steering shaft and lubricate it, or is it a dealer job only.....cheers

Thanks for the info, to save going to the dealer do you know if it is possible to get to the sliding surfaces between the male and female tubes of the lower steering shaft and lubricate it, or is it a dealer job only.....cheers

You need the correct lubricant (Part number 1 470 997) which is an aerosol can with a long tube. I wouldn't recommend using any old lube (and certainly not WD40). You'd be better popping along to the dealer and getting it done for free. For info only, the steps are:

1. Wrap a cloth around the bottom of the steering column to protect the carpet

2. Open the small 'glovebox' to the right of the steering wheel and spray the lube down into the top end of the steering column shaft

3. Move the steering wheel up and down and in and out to spread the lube. Mop up any that's leaked out the bottom end and you're done.

If this doesn't fix it, get the dealer to take a look.

• Like 1

Yeah, thinking about it, I do have this knocking noise, when I put full lock on, it can feel like one of the front wheels is loose and clonks about!

Just found this on Ford Etis:

06/04/10 Knocking noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel during driving and standing still

19/2010

Should a customer express concern about a knocking noise from steering column when turning the steering wheel during driving and standing still, the possible cause is missing lubrication at the sliding surfaces between the male and female tubes of the lower steering shaft.

To rectify the concern, the steering shaft should be lubricated with lubricant.

Labor Times published in this TSB are available 12th April onwards. Please refresh your Labor Master file at that day to receive the new data in your Dealer Management System. Please contact your internal system administrator.

i had this problem took it to ford and they sorted it no problem but the woman bhind the desk cudnt tell me what it were.

Hi, Have just noticed this problem / quirk on my fiesta for the first time, has anybody had an answer to this yet from a Ford Dealer, is it something that is common to the electric power steering and needs / has a fix, or another cost reduction to far?? cheers

Managed to clear my creak by moving the steering wheel up / down and in / out, will see how long it takes to come back before i go to a dealer.....

Correction, one day latter it is back this morning !!!!!

You need the correct lubricant (Part number 1 470 997) which is an aerosol can with a long tube. I wouldn't recommend using any old lube (and certainly not WD40). You'd be better popping along to the dealer and getting it done for free. For info only, the steps are:

2. Open the small 'glovebox' to the right of the steering wheel and spray the lube down into the top end of the steering column shaft

3. Move the steering wheel up and down and in and out to spread the lube. Mop up any that's leaked out the bottom end and you're done.

Thought i would buy a can of this lubricant so phoned my dealer, price quoted £57, when i got of ther floor he added for a carton of 12 and they will not sell a can seperatly, even if they did suspect it would work out to around £5 a can for some bog standard lub that they have hidden with the ford part number...........

Thought i would buy a can of this lubricant so phoned my dealer, price quoted £57, when i got of ther floor he added for a carton of 12 and they will not sell a can seperatly, even if they did suspect it would work out to around £5 a can for some bog standard lub that they have hidden with the ford part number...........

Ouch :o

I don't know what sort of lube this this, though looking around, spray lubes are about £4-6 a can, so a fiver would be OK (I bet that was ex VAT, though). Perhaps one of the board members who works in a dealership can help source this for you? Or you could chat to the service manager and perhaps get them to do this fix while you wait, rather than booking the car in for the day. It should only take them five minutes (unless further work is required) and you won't be charged for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody had this fix done at their dealer, if so did it cure the creaking...cheers

Anybody had this fix done at their dealer, if so did it cure the creaking...cheers

mines gone in again today, hope they can cure the problem as with me it's intermittent and ford have never found the cause of the problem. will keep you updated

I also have this problem, Il be going to my dealers with this and a few other nigles since the CAT 1 Alarm has been fittted(by ford) like seatbelt warning not working on passenger side but works on driver side and also the "Youve still got your headlights on" warning chime not activating when it should since the alarm.

Jay

mines gone in again today, hope they can cure the problem as with me it's intermittent and ford have never found the cause of the problem. will keep you updated

~Hi, Thanks for the reply, how did you get on today at the dealer with the Creaking?

• 2 weeks later...

Im glad to see that im not the only one with this problem. My fiesta started creaking a couple of months ago when turning sharply at low speeds - highly annoying seems as I have to park in a multistory car park everyday. I took it in to the ford dealership where I purchased it from, and they replaced something to do with the roll bar on the drivers side which had snapped. This fixed the problem for around a month but it has started to creak again now.

My creaking seems to have reduced quite a bit now, not sure why, may be the warmer weather.

I have noticed that my suspension doesn't make the harsh noise it used to when going over the sharper speed bumps. (As tested on the speed bump at my local tescos!)

• 5 weeks later...

Just a little update for those with this issue:

About two weeks ago, we took in our fiesta with this creaking noise. They said (after 6 hours or so) that they couldn't find anything worn or in need of replacing. They lubricated some things (they didn't tell us what exactly), and the creak went away for a few days. It came back after those few days, quiet at first, but now it is worse than it was before we took it in in the first place.

We're going to take it back to the dealers in a couple of weeks time, and hopefully they can actually find out what is wrong with it.

The car has now got about 10.5k miles on it since Oct 31st. Does anyone think the high mileage may have something to do with it?

• 1 year later...

I too have exactly the same problem with this power steering creaking noise at low speeds. Did anyone actually get rid of it or find a fix as it didn't look as though anyone did? Took my Titanium purchased in July for its 3 month courtesy check and they said they couldnt hear it so wonder if its worth booking it in for them to investigate.

Its a strange one as if you drive up and down the road a bit then pull in for some low speed manoeuvres in a car park you can clearly hear it. If you are staitionary and full then lock left and right a few times it goes, only to come back again after driving a short distance. Its starting to drive me mad as hear it when i get to work and park in multi storey car park and then when i pull into drive at home. It does sound like a rubberised creaking sound.

My car had this problem and I took mine back to where I bought it from and they fixed it under warranty, that was about 6 months ago and have not had a problem since

• 5 weeks later...

i bought my 2009 Ford Titanium 1.4 Diesel roughly 5 months ago..and recently have heard the squeeling noises when turning the steering wheel left! My car has been into ford and they told me it was a 'loose door' which is a load of rubbish as the noise is still there!! Today my car was at an independant mechanic and he could not hear anything either....so annoying when it only happens sometimes then when you go get it checked, nothing happens :/ .....has anyone found a solution to this???? My warrenty runs out in March and dont fancy gettin a hefty bill in april! haha

Also a rumbling noise is starting to occur and i see many people have commented on this as well, the mechanic i spoke to today suggested it could be the 'dual mass fly wheel' ? this makes no sense to me at all but he said it is worth ford having a look as many new cars have this problem!

Hope someone can help me with this squeeking noise as it is driving me up the wall! Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Took my Fiesta to dealers today to try and sort this low speed stearing creaking problem. The said they heard it and have lubricated all the steering and suspension components and it is much better now. They also said there is nothing mechanically wrong. I got in the car manouvered out of the car park and the noise is still there! Looking at this thread it must just be a general thing that some fietas have and you have to put up with and no one has ever had it fixed or perhaps it just disappears eventually ? Its just weird that it diappears when you turn the steering full lock one way and then the other, only to come back again why you drive normally for a minute or two and slow up again. I guess if it was a serous fault it would be there all the time.

Mine was more of a 'clicking' from the steering when manoevreing at low speeds, could be felt rather than heard, almost like play in the steering. The dealer fixed it about a year ago saying they had lubricated the steering column. It came back recently but they cured it again during the last service. I would like to know what lubricant that Ford part is. It is bound to be something proprietary that you can buy anywhere. I have some spray "silicon lubricant" (It's not WD40 as it has a different composition and can be used on synthetic rubber seals) maybe that would do it. Anyone know ?

i bought my 2009 Ford Titanium 1.4 Diesel roughly 5 months ago..and recently have heard the squeeling noises when turning the steering wheel left! My car has been into ford and they told me it was a 'loose door' which is a load of rubbish as the noise is still there!! Today my car was at an independant mechanic and he could not hear anything either....so annoying when it only happens sometimes then when you go get it checked, nothing happens :/ .....has anyone found a solution to this???? My warrenty runs out in March and dont fancy gettin a hefty bill in april! haha

Also a rumbling noise is starting to occur and i see many people have commented on this as well, the mechanic i spoke to today suggested it could be the 'dual mass fly wheel' ? this makes no sense to me at all but he said it is worth ford having a look as many new cars have this problem!

Hope someone can help me with this squeeking noise as it is driving me up the wall! Cheers

I should get the steering column lubricated as described here as it is the most likely cause. The 'dual mass flywheel' is simply one that is made up of more than one part fabricated together which Ford (and others) use on diesels. Usually at high mileages, the securing rivets or whatever work loose and you get the rumbling or clattering sound. I would doubt if it has happened on a new car like yours. Sure it's not a wheel bearing ?

Sure it's not a wheel bearing ?

top of my most likely reason list

my first question would be - is the rumbling related to engine speed or wheel speed

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club