Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta key change issue

AzWinnie

Hi,

got a friend thats purchased a 2007 st fiesta, but has only got 1 key and its the old ford transponder key, he wants a key that has central locking on it, can he convert and take the key fob out of that transponder key and put it in a round barrelled ford key does anybody know?

There are lots of variety of key available on eBay with and without various bits inside (ie some of just casings). I do not know if you can successfully remove the transponder chip from a non-button key and put in a button key. I do not know if same shape transponder or if it can be removed without damage.  But using a OBD reader and Forscan software on a windows laptop - with the Forscan extended licence (the software and extended licence is all free of charge for windows laptops) you can program a 2nd key from scratch.  You have to make sure you buy a new key with the correct type transponder chip (eg 4D60, 4D63 and then there are variations on the 'bit' number also).  I have never done this myself. There is stuff on Forscan forum about it.  It would be advisable to go the route of having a 2nd kay. Having only one key for a car is not wise - if you lose it you have serious problems due to the immobiliser.

On eBay you can get keys cut from a photo of a key. I have done this and the key was cut perfectly to work the lock.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club