Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK2 1.8 TDCi CAT Delete

Naynay1991x

Hey there, does anybody here know if I'll need to get it deleted on the software side at all if I gut the cat out? It's a 2005 model with no DPF.

1.8 TDCi KKDA Engine.

11 hours ago, Naynay1991x said:

Hey there, does anybody here know if I'll need to get it deleted on the software side at all if I gut the cat out? It's a 2005 model with no DPF.

1.8 TDCi KKDA Engine.

Won’t that be picked up at the MOT?

Edited by Russ

12 minutes ago, Russ said:

Won’t that be picked up at the MOT?

No, high smoke limits back in 2005 so as long as the cat is cut and welded along the back where it won't be seen it'll pass no problem.

As for the OP, you won't need to remap it after a decat.  There aren't any exhaust sensors to flag up fault codes on those.

Passing MOT doesn't make it legal though, it is still illegal to run a decat on the public road.

• Like 2

why is this being done? will it really make a noticable difference to the driving of the car?

4 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

as long as the cat is cut and welded along the back where it won't be seen it'll pass no problem

Won't the exhaust gas analysis pick up the increased CO and hydrocarbons emissions?

1 hour ago, mjt said:

Won't the exhaust gas analysis pick up the increased CO and hydrocarbons emissions?

That's the petrol test.  Diesels are only tested on smoke levels.  Just to give you some idea of this, the level for a MK3 1.6 TDCi is 0.55.  The level for a MK2 pfl is 3.0.  He'd have to have a major boost leak to fail on a car that old...

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 11:19 AM, TomsFocus said:

No, high smoke limits back in 2005 so as long as the cat is cut and welded along the back where it won't be seen it'll pass no problem.

As for the OP, you won't need to remap it after a decat.  There aren't any exhaust sensors to flag up fault codes on those.

Passing MOT doesn't make it legal though, it is still illegal to run a decat on the public road.

Yea I couldnt see any sensors around the CAT area I just thought there could be a nice hidden one out of sight :) sorry for the late reply. Thank you all also for replying.

On 2/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, isetta said:

why is this being done? will it really make a noticable difference to the driving of the car?

probably a minimal gain as the CAT on a diesel doesn't do much.. However I dont expect too have an extra 50bhp for doing it, I just prefer my diesel straight through. Personal preference i guess.

• 3 years later...
On 2/8/2019 at 11:19 AM, TomsFocus said:

This true with mine then Tom? I have the 1.8 kkda 

1 hour ago, Simmo80 said:

This true with mine then Tom? I have the 1.8 kkda 

No.  Yours is 2009, so smoke test is plate value or 1.5 (if plate not visible). 

I wouldn't recommend doing it nowadays though.  

• Like 1

On 7/17/2022 at 7:57 PM, TomsFocus said:

No.  Yours is 2009, so smoke test is plate value or 1.5 (if plate not visible). 

I wouldn't recommend doing it nowadays though.  

Thanks, i think it needs a cat clean. But if it's not got the sensors how would i know its starting to clog? 

Just now, Simmo80 said:

Thanks, i think it needs a cat clean. But if it's not got the sensors how would i know its starting to clog? 

No way to know for sure, noticeable reduction in engine power would be the main symptom.

I've never blocked a diesel cat myself though, even with a smoky remap.  Cats are 'flow through' devices (holes all the way through), whereas DPF's are more like trying to blow through a brick which is why they clog up easily.

I'm sceptical of cat clean (or really any engine cleans) but some people claim positive results from them.  Whether that's a genuine positive or placebo effect is yet to be proven really.  I'm more a fan of thrashing the nuts off it occasionally, gets the cat as hot as possible to burn off any contaminants and gets the exhaust gas flowing as quickly as possible to blow everything right through.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club