Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Washer Jet Upgrade - Seriously - Don't Bother!

ThePowster
聽Share

Damn n blast...聽馃槴

After reading on here about there being a solution to the dreaded聽 'washer jet leaking all over the bonnet'聽 issue, I invested 33 odd quid in the mist type upgraded heated ones that my car needed.

So I took my time, installed them carefully, nothing to it really, pop one out pop the replacement back in, make sure all connections are snug, I tested it out and... well, see for yourself聽馃憥

a.thumb.jpg.fa30402cdef8dc8f71f19900b6327b45.jpg

b.thumb.jpg.306cc2dc9aed60f809c6e9b3e3a20c85.jpg

c.thumb.jpg.4e4a7bd9705999e47e9782b6b1b61a59.jpg

d.thumb.jpg.cf3d9e31f8a289c5d076391478340ec8.jpg

e.thumb.jpg.95369bd3f556381d0a6c972a8d30cdd8.jpg

It's worse than before!聽馃が

So my advice to anyone wanting to upgrade is simply, .. don't. It clearly, isn't a fix, you just get a different pattern of water SPRAY on the screen.

Fed up now.

• Haha 2

I'm pretty certain ever washer jet ever and yet to be invented will always leave dribble and spray, every car I've had has done it

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sioneon said:

I'm pretty certain ever washer jet ever and yet to be invented will always leave dribble and spray, every car I've had has done it

I like mine because they don't leave water all over the screen but you cant stop the water hitting the bonnet 馃槥

I've never noticed this on any of my cars but then again I only put water in mine as I'm too tight to buy screen wash!馃槈

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The newer MK3/MK3.5 mist washer jets are no solution for the washer jets leaking onto the bonnet after using them.

Leaking of washer fluid onto the bonnet however can easily be solved by installing some cheap plastic (spring loaded) check valves between the washers jets and the hoses. The resistance of the (spring loaded) check valves prevents the washer fluid from leaking onto the bonnet.聽

Ford used plastic check valves between the washer jets and the hoses many Years ago. For example on the Taunus and Capri. On both my Focus MK2 and MK3 I installed the original Ford check valves which stopped the washer fluid from leaking onto the bonnet almost completely.聽

When using the MK3/MK3.5 mist washer jets onto the Focus MK2/MK2.5 you will notice that the MK2/MK2.5 washer pump is actually not powerful enough for the mist washer jets. On the MK2/MK2.5 the mist washer jets do not spray as far/high like they do on the MK3/MK3.5. To have full benefit of the mist washer jets you also have to change the pump for a more powerful version.

• Like 4

I think my bros new (10 plate) Mondeo only had water in the washer bottle, we set off for a journey to Meadhowhall, on motorway we needed to clean screen, each time he tried the jets, nothing coming out as it was frozen but on each pass the screen got more messy until it was almost too dangerous to drive, that's why water alone is never the solution, especially this time of year when we have minus temperatures.

Now if they only did silver screen wash I would be alright lol聽馃槃

Some useful info there Wilco. Now why couldn't I have read that before I threw 30 odd quid at this lol.

So with the pump is it a case of any mk3 pump will be plug and play? Or do need the bottle to go with it?

I am seeing ones on evilbay for the mk3 but I aint sure if the pump only does the screen as my rear wiper also has a jet, not sure if the mk3 does or not so don't want to 'upgrade' to find I lose my rear wiper lol.

Not sure if I should quit while am behind or what. All I do know is, is that I don't like blue streaks all over my James-Bond-Aston-Martin-Silver-Colour Focus聽馃樁

Yeah, no water because it's frozen does get a bit annoying to be honest. Maybe try a mk3 pump, then a mk3 bottle, mk3 wiring harness, mk3 fuse box, sod it, just buy a mk3, preferably a blue one!聽馃槀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

lol.

I'm fed up tarting up the focus now. It's right done me head in. Think am just gonna let it continue to rust to bits, that seems to be happening all over the place too. Am sure it will add a nice patina effect and give it a rustic Mad-Max look聽馃槑 I might look into some gret bull bars or sommat.

Had an affair with a married woman last year, she has 11 plate focus and almost every panel has rust on it now, mine's gonna go same way, but I do wash the bugger聽馃槒

Cycling season soon be ere, I'll dig out me Raleigh Banana and get that ready for summer instead, least that will keep me outta trouble lol.

• Haha 1

Well I've just put an offer in on a mk 3.5 washer pump with duel thingies on it which I am guessing is a front and rear feed. I take it the mk 3.5 one will be powerful enough as that pump is what's operating the jets in the first place.

Then I just need a gret ammer and install it聽馃槃

I've just checked my washers (2005mk2 focus), and they operate perfectly. In fact, the work better than my old Merc where the RHS wiper ram judders like hell, despite a visit to 3 garages including a main dealer! The focus washers just soak screen, and both wipers are judder free. Just to give you a baseline that they're not all like yours unfortunately for you...

• Like 1

I am just having the problem of the washer jets making a mess of my bonnet after usage. Happened with my last washer jets and is happening again with the brand new Ford mist jets from a mk3.

I've just bought this in hope that the pump will get a better spray as it is only spraying in the bottom quarter of the screen.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.de8a809d829ed184e9975d4bc8586a71.jpg

So it's 15 quid for that, 33 quid for the jets, then I need the new Bosch blades another 40 quid and finally some decent windscreen wash.

What turned out as a, ohh I know I'll simply update my washer jets to stop the mess on the bonnet is soon going to turn into a hundred quid spend and it probably wont be any different afterwards.

I'm wondering if there is an 'upgrade' to the nozzles themselves? In my Celica GT4 the spray pattern was woeful, but the owners club suggested replacing the nozzles from a Volvo (I think a 760?). Went to Volvo, spent less than a tenner, and they've been on the car for over a decade, one of the best upgrades I ever did LOL

• Like 1

Mine are upgraded Stephen, gone from the mk 2.5 ones to the mk 3.5 ones which are mist type jets. I got the jets installed but the pump not powerful enough to get the juice all the way up the screen, so now I have had to buy the mk3.5 pump, watch it not fit my bottle now lol then I really will scrap it!

I had a GT4 once, it wasn't that quick so there must have been sommat wrong with mine. Practically wrote it off, I was in snow turning right at a set of lights, pulled away in first and the back end let go, I hit the brakes and just slid for ages into a pub wall and knocked it down lol so much for 4wd. I asked on a forum how that could happen and they said I didn't have my snow tyres on, I figured 4wd would save me, it didn't.

Here she was, slow as ya like, even me Focus is quicker lol.

5.thumb.jpg.82b1885701aafecbe583f4ad17268fa3.jpg

After I got me grubby hands on it haha. See not much snow so I must have slid on ice. Ended up fixing it myself and swapped it for a Honda Prelude 2.2 Si V-Tec, now that was fast.

Main1.thumb.jpg.f3b3504f363b26868f80fbc22f020146.jpg

Main2.thumb.jpg.7f78c2237bd2e213c83aa4b5e9ae8a0a.jpg

• Sad 1

I loved the old ST182, that was a lovely car.聽 I have an ST205, it's a crakin' car, but so expensive to maintain. A suspension arm that Mercedes would charge 拢50 odd would cost almost 拢500 for GT4 superstrut suspension!!

GT4.thumb.jpg.9a0ebecd2c1b37b2281e33964c5b7e29.jpg

• Sad 1

Ah I went in one of those once, .. sideways down the duel carriageway lol, driver was drifting from left to right, felt night and day difference to the one I had.

I was only getting about 25 to the gallon, god knows what your 205 is getting lol.

It does sound expensive, maybe you should swap it for a sorted Focus TDCi remapped with 140 horses and 60mpg, oh n all it needs is a washer jet upgrade installing if ya that finnicky about it being perfect, sounds like a bargain to me that聽馃槀馃ぅ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JW1982 said:

The newer MK3/MK3.5 mist washer jets are no solution for the washer jets leaking onto the bonnet after using them.

Leaking of washer fluid onto the bonnet however can easily be solved by installing some cheap plastic (spring loaded) check valves between the washers jets and the hoses. The resistance of the (spring loaded) check valves prevents the washer fluid from leaking onto the bonnet.聽

Ford used plastic check valves between the washer jets and the hoses many Years ago. For example on the Taunus and Capri. On both my Focus MK2 and MK3 I installed the original Ford check valves which stopped the washer fluid from leaking onto the bonnet almost completely.聽

When using the MK3/MK3.5 mist washer jets onto the Focus MK2/MK2.5 you will notice that the MK2/MK2.5 washer pump is actually not powerful enough for the mist washer jets. On the MK2/MK2.5 the mist washer jets do not spray as far/high like they do on the MK3/MK3.5. To have full benefit of the mist washer jets you also have to change the pump for a more powerful version.

Did this to mine and my lads fiesta get one from a scrappy聽

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TangoDaz said:

Did this to mine and my lads fiesta get one from a scrappy聽

Does the mk 3.5 washer unit fit on the mk2 water bottle or did you need a bottle as well?

On 2/9/2019 at 3:17 PM, ThePowster said:

Does the mk 3.5 washer unit fit on the mk2 water bottle or did you need a bottle as well?

The motor is a straight swap I did it to my mk2.5 focus.聽

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know why Ford doesn't follow the lead of some manufacturers and fit washer nozzles hidden under the bonnet above the scuttle panel.
Sleeker bonnet and no pesky dribbles [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 2

I must have hit lucky? My 14 year old Focus has 4 x strong washer jets, which cut off instantly when done hence perfectly dry bonnet, no dribble. Though to be honest, my 24 year old Celica GT4 does the same, as does my 17 year old Merc C240. So I'm not familiar with this problem at all, maybe it's a 'new' car issue LOL..

• Haha 1

A few years ago I bought some blades that had washer nozzles built in. Brilliant, but does leave unused nozzles on the bonnet (unless you weld the holes over).聽

• 10 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 1:11 PM, JW1982 said:

Leaking of washer fluid onto the bonnet however can easily be solved by installing some cheap plastic (spring loaded) check valves between the washers jets and the hoses. The resistance of the (spring loaded) check valves prevents the washer fluid from leaking onto the bonnet.

^ This.

I can attest that this is ideal and does work, although install them as close as you can to the nozzles, you may get the odd couple of drops but nothing anywhere near how it is at the moment.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club