Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.0 Ecoboost Transmission problems (Auto)

OllieEdge

Hi all, has any experienced problems with the "revamped" Ecoboost 1.0 engine with an auto transmission?

I've previously owned a Mk3 automatic focus (2012) 1.6 ecoboost it experience a number of transmission problems - the usual things that everyone already knows about - jerkiness, unable to decide on a gear, clunks etc. It went back to Bristol Street Motors on 6 separate occasions to get "fixed". It never got fixed so I sold it back to them and went with a different make vehicle.

In November I went to the dealer and decided on buying a 2nd hand Focus Estate Auto 1.0 EcoBoost (66 Plate), it has 1 previous disabled owner, and had done 2,000 miles. I explicitly asked if this model had any problems regarding transmission, to which the dealer recognised the old 1.6 EcoBoost had issues and said that this has been "totally overhauled" and he hasn't heard of any problems with the new ecoboost / mapping / transmission etc. Obviously that's what he is paid to say regardless - but it was worth a try right?

2 weeks into driving I was in a 30 speed limit, driving smoothly neither accelerating or decelerating and then all of a sudden MASSIVE CLUNK, the car jerks forward, stops then continues on as if nothing happened. I thought -- maybe it was a one-off I'll leave it.

2 months in and the same thing happens again. Exactly the same thing, same speed limit etc.

After a third time I decided to call the dealer and start a process that I know is going to be super long winded.

3 separate mechanics drove the vehicle whilst they had it, I even drove one of them around the block as they wanted to see how I drove (I suspect), honestly, I'm not aggressive with the throttle and I don't speed away from the lights or anything like that, I tend to be a tad faster than the crowd - but nothing exciting. Anyway - nothing happened.

They said "updated the PCM", as that was the only thing that needed doing, there wasn't any logs they could find.

I had it back one day and now GRINDING! In what I feel is the same scenario, the transmission now randomly grinds the gears and there is no forward drive. Luckily I caught it on my dash camera, I sent it to the service Manager to look at.

The service manager said he is going to come and recover the vehicle later today and give me a courtesy car.

My question to you all: What do you think I should do? Is there something I can say? To be honest all I want to do it just get rid of it and get a different car.

Iv'e just bought the new Mk4 ecoboost 1 litre with the new 8 speed automatic gearbox, only just done over a hundred miles yet but I must say i am very pleased with it.

4 hours ago, OllieEdge said:

Hi all, has any experienced problems with the "revamped" Ecoboost 1.0 engine with an auto transmission?

I've previously owned a Mk3 automatic focus (2012) 1.6 ecoboost it experience a number of transmission problems - the usual things that everyone already knows about - jerkiness, unable to decide on a gear, clunks etc. It went back to Bristol Street Motors on 6 separate occasions to get "fixed". It never got fixed so I sold it back to them and went with a different make vehicle.

In November I went to the dealer and decided on buying a 2nd hand Focus Estate Auto 1.0 EcoBoost (66 Plate), it has 1 previous disabled owner, and had done 2,000 miles. I explicitly asked if this model had any problems regarding transmission, to which the dealer recognised the old 1.6 EcoBoost had issues and said that this has been "totally overhauled" and he hasn't heard of any problems with the new ecoboost / mapping / transmission etc. Obviously that's what he is paid to say regardless - but it was worth a try right?

2 weeks into driving I was in a 30 speed limit, driving smoothly neither accelerating or decelerating and then all of a sudden MASSIVE CLUNK, the car jerks forward, stops then continues on as if nothing happened. I thought -- maybe it was a one-off I'll leave it.

2 months in and the same thing happens again. Exactly the same thing, same speed limit etc.

After a third time I decided to call the dealer and start a process that I know is going to be super long winded.

3 separate mechanics drove the vehicle whilst they had it, I even drove one of them around the block as they wanted to see how I drove (I suspect), honestly, I'm not aggressive with the throttle and I don't speed away from the lights or anything like that, I tend to be a tad faster than the crowd - but nothing exciting. Anyway - nothing happened.

They said "updated the PCM", as that was the only thing that needed doing, there wasn't any logs they could find.

I had it back one day and now GRINDING! In what I feel is the same scenario, the transmission now randomly grinds the gears and there is no forward drive. Luckily I caught it on my dash camera, I sent it to the Service Manager to look at.

The service manager said he is going to come and recover the vehicle later today and give me a courtesy car.

My question to you all: What do you think I should do? Is there something I can say? To be honest all I want to do it just get rid of it and get a different car.

I'm supprised you decided to buy another powershit transmission focus. There no better really than the older ones. 

2 hours ago, iantt said:

I'm supprised you decided to buy another powershit transmission focus. There no better really than the older ones. 

So am iantt, so am I.

Also, I got the courtesy car this evening from Bristol Street, it’s a manual fiesta, stinks of cannabis, filthy inside even the driver door handle is falling off! Very surprised.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:53 PM, iantt said:

It's not a Powershift at this model year it is a conventional torque converter auto. 6F15 gearbox.

You need to ask Ford to reset the transmission adaptive learning settings as they will still be set for the original driver.

It will then be a bit harsh for a couple of hundred miles but then will settle into YOUR driving style.

Or you can get FORSCAN and a lead and reset it your self.

We have an ST-Line 1.0 Auto, it's not brilliant TBH but it's not as bad as the Powershift box

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveT70 said:

It's not a Powershift at this model year it is a conventional torque converter auto. 6F35 gearbox.

You need to ask Ford to reset the transmission adaptive learning settings as they will still be set for the original driver.

It will then be a bit harsh for a couple of hundred miles but then will settle into YOUR driving style.

Or you can get FORSCAN and a lead and reset it your self.

We have an ST-Line 1.0 Auto, it's not brilliant TBH but it's not as bad as the Powershift box

Yeah , your right , later focus did indeed have a proper auto. The 6f35 is for the 1.5 ecoboost I believe. The 6f15 is for the 1.0 ecoboost. Essentially the same box type. 

20 hours ago, iantt said:

Yeah , your right , later focus did indeed have a proper auto. The 6f35 is for the 1.5 ecoboost I believe. The 6f15 is for the 1.0 ecoboost. Essentially the same box type. 

I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopaedic shoes. Thanks

• 5 years later...

Hi all I would like to add to this hopefully someone can help.

i have a eco boost 1.0 auto estate on a 66reg when pulling away in first the gear holds for so long all most like a moped! It does the same in 2nd then up to 3rd?? From 3rd to 4th to 5th it’s okay but the again downshifts not smooth at all.

no grinding no funny noises just horrible on gear changes can someone please tell me if this is just how they are being an older box or could I have some sort of mapping done so it don’t hold gears as long because it’s seriously draining my fuel.

Any help if much appreciated.

Thank you 

13 hours ago, Danny1234 said:

Hi all I would like to add to this hopefully someone can help.

i have a eco boost 1.0 auto estate on a 66reg when pulling away in first the gear holds for so long all most like a moped! It does the same in 2nd then up to 3rd?? From 3rd to 4th to 5th it’s okay but the again downshifts not smooth at all.

no grinding no funny noises just horrible on gear changes can someone please tell me if this is just how they are being an older box or could I have some sort of mapping done so it don’t hold gears as long because it’s seriously draining my fuel.

Any help if much appreciated.

Thank you 

Ours did this (2017) and most 6F15s do, it's a horrible gearbox, much, much worse than the 6F35 (1.5) that it's based on.

It's over-geared, for a start (3.22:1 vs 4.22:1 final drive for the manual) and it's slip action on 1st and 2nd gear with torque converter lock-up on 3rd gear onwards

it annoyed me terribly, I took it into Ford three times, each time to be told it's normal, which, after lots and lots of research, it was. 

I changed the fluid, added Lucas Transmission Fix and Shudder Fix, but it made no difference, it still slipped and banged.

It's an internal design fault with the solenoid body and manufacturing issue with the seal on the 2nd gear clutch that these suffer with.

You're not actually holding on to first gear for ages, you're actually missing out 2nd gear (hanging or shift-flare)

2nd gear just hangs at around 2,000-3,000 RPM, depending on throttle input, then dumps itself into 3rd gear.

It doesn't matter what you try to do, it will never stop.

Updating the software in the PCM (there is no TCM it's combined) helped a little bit as did driving it in sport mode and learning to back off the throttle just before 1st gear ended

Keeping the fluid clean will help a bit, but there's really nothing else you can do.

I found running it on Super Unleaded helped too, just a little bit

Just a warning, this engine and transmission set up is what has recently been recalled in the USA for oil pump belt issues, as it's got a balancer shaft, due to being automatic, the balancer can strip the oil pump belt of it's teeth and seize the engine.

Periodically, drop the sump and check the gauze on the oil pick up pipe for belt debris. If any is found, rectify immediately 

Constantly keep an eye on the oil pressure warning light too, if you see it flicker whilst driving, shut the engine down straight away and do not attempt to restart it until you've changed the oil pump belt and pump

Ford have not, as yet, recalled 1.0 Ecoboost fitted with 6F15 in the rest of the world.

Change the oil, for the correct oil, at least every 12 months and NEVER use flush

Oh and keep stop/start off, that's the other reason I always drove it in Sport "S" mode

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club