Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help!! 1.0 Ecoboost

dannyb

Hi all, bought a 15 plate Titanium  Ecoboost last night at my local car auction. It had a high pitched rattle which was coming from the engine. But I took the plunge and bought it for £5k, with 79k on the clock. It was on a trial period so took it home and called my usual mechanic. This was just to see if he could have a look at this noise. However, he filled me with dread when he told me of the issues regarding the recall on the hose that gives way and in turn knackering the engine!! Stating that these engines are ‘chocolate’. Clearly I was worried, I panicked and took it back, blaming the rattle mentioned earlier.

Anyway, when I took it back, the auctions mechanic had a good look at this rattle and thought it was just something loose? 

I’m now gutted that we took it back, it is a beautiful drive and pulls like a train!!! After a little research, the recall was on earlier models from what I can see? I still have the option to buy the car again if I wanted. 

What would you advise re the Rattle and the potential for faults/recalls? 

Its in good condition and immaculate inside, and I think it’s a good price. I just don’t know enough about the engine. 

Thanksnin advance, guys and gals

Danny 

Hi all, bought a 15 plate Titanium  Ecoboost last night at my local car auction. It had a high pitched rattle which was coming from the engine. But I took the plunge and bought it for £5k, with 79k on the clock. It was on a trial period so took it home and called my usual mechanic. This was just to see if he could have a look at this noise. However, he filled me with dread when he told me of the issues regarding the recall on the hose that gives way and in turn knackering the engine!! Stating that these engines are ‘chocolate’. Clearly I was worried, I panicked and took it back, blaming the rattle mentioned earlier.
Anyway, when I took it back, the auctions mechanic had a good look at this rattle and thought it was just something loose? 
I’m now gutted that we took it back, it is a beautiful drive and pulls like a train!!! After a little research, the recall was on earlier models from what I can see? I still have the option to buy the car again if I wanted. 
Its in good condition and immaculate inside, and I think it’s a good price. I just don’t know enough about the engine. 
Danny 
I've recently got a 12 focus titanium with a 1.0 125 Ecoboost engine.

I to didn't know about the engine problems until after I got it.

One thing I have found out though is that if the car is duff, ford will replace the engine (if it's found the fault was caused by one of the number of problems) free of charge.

The risk should be limited, however it's the time taken as a lot are on back order taking up to 6 weeks to get a replacement.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ford aren't replacing engines any more...  There's been quite a bit about this recently.

The degas hose issues are only on the pre facelift models (11 plate to 64 plate), the facelift do not suffer the same way.  Facelift suffer other issues though, most noteable being clutch issues.

oil pumps and fuel pumps can also cause issues.

£5k for a 15 plate Titanium on 80k sounds a good deal tbh.  About £1500 cheaper than dealer prices.  There's one near me up for £8k on 83,000 but I think they're just trying their luck tbh lol.

• Like 2

Ford aren't replacing engines any more...  There's been quite a bit about this recently.
The degas hose issues are only on the pre facelift models (11 plate to 64 plate), the facelift do not suffer the same way.  Facelift suffer other issues though, most noteable being clutch issues.
Oil pumps and fuel pumps can also cause issues.

£5k for a 15 plate Titanium on 80k sounds a good deal tbh.  About £1500 cheaper than dealer prices.  There's one near me up for £8k on 83,000 but I think they're just trying their luck tbh lol.
We are all assuming it's a 1.0 EcoBoost btw, not the 1.6EB?
When you say their not replacing engines do you mean not replacing for facelift only or pre facelift? I'm driving around a little better knowing that if it did go wrong I've got a pre facelift and ford will replace the engine all in?

1 minute ago, Deano12 said:

When you say their not replacing engines do you mean not replacing for facelift only or pre facelift? I'm driving around a little better knowing that if it did go wrong I've got a pre facelift and ford will replace the engine all in?

@jbell knows more about this than I do, but it seems as though they changed their minds pretty quickly and passed the buck to someone else who no longer has any interest in replacing engines...

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, jbell said:

No, Ford mgrcrc have totally renaged on that promise. Now they will only cover vehicles that were not recalled successfully for the degas hose. Any other coolant related issues or failures are not covered outside of the standard warranty due to mgrcrc's decision seemingly overriding what the head of ford stated on the BBC. 

1 hour ago, dannyb said:

Danny 

The earlier 1.0 ECOboost engines did suffer from a badly designed degas hose. The affected degas hose was made of plastic and vulcanised rubber. This type of degas hose was only installed on Focus MK3 vehicles with 1.0 ECOboost engine that were built between 25-04-2012 and 05-05-2014. Vehicles produced before and after this production period did have a different type of degas hose and are not affected by the recall. 

During the recall the affected degas hose was replaced by a revised more durable version. This revised type of degas hose replaces all other versions (both affected and non affected by the recall) of the degas hoses that were used on Focus MK3 vehicles with 1.0 ECOboost engine. Even if the car has the revised/latest design degas hose there is still a pretty big chance that the degas hose fails. Despite being more durable than the old one the new revised degas hose is still poorly designed. As a result of temperature changes and vibrations the plastic of the T-piece and smaller section of the degas hose deteriorate, becomes brittle and eventually breaks. 

To solve degas hose problems once and for all the MK3 cooling system can easily be converted to MK3.5 specs by just replacing 2 coolant hoses. The MK3.5 cooling system does no longer have the fragile, poorly designed degas hose. An added bonus is that both MK3.5 hoses are even cheaper than the single MK3 degas hose.

The fact that a broken degas hose usually caused engine damage is because the MK3 1.0 ECOboost only has a coolant temperature sensor. This sensor is installed into the thermostat housing. In case of a major leak and there is no coolant left inside the system the coolant temperature sensor measures air instead of coolant. Because air does not transmit temperature as good as coolant any overheating will not be detected. The MK3.5 however has both a coolant temperature sensor and an additional cilinder head temperature sensor and measures both the coolant and cylinder head temperature. Even when there is no coolant left inside the system overheating of the engine will be detected.

Apart from the well known MK3 degas hose problems there are also a few other less known cooling system problems

* Broken/split coolant reservoir (Both MK3 and MK3.5).
* Leaking water pump seal (Both MK3 and MK3.5).
* Leaking O-ring seal behind the timing belt cover (Both the MK3 and MK3.5).

The degas hose, coolant reservoir and leaking waterpump are pretty easy to fix. The leaking O-ring seal behind the timing belt cover however is a lot more difficult to replace. It takes approximately 10 hours to replace the 50 cent o-ring.

In my opinion most of the known coolant system problems can easily be prevented by performing regular inspections. In case of signs or deterioration the affected parts should be changed. Coolant hoses, the coolant reservoir and the coolant reservoir cap are pretty inexpensive. replacing these parts as a precaution does not cost much and can prevent a lot of problems.

Apart from the coolant system problems the 1.0 ECOboost is a pretty reliable engine. I own my 2013 1.0 ECOboost for over 4,5 Years now and apart from a leaking waterpump seal I only had to perform regular and preventive maintenance. I fully converted my MK3 coolant system to MK3.5 specs and change the coolant,  coolant reservoir and coolant reservoir cap as a precaution every 2 to 3 Years. In fact my current Focus 1.0 ECOboost is the most reliable and cheapest to run/maintain from all cars I owned. I would buy another one without any doubts.

Personally I would listen to a different 1.0 ECOboost first. This way you will be able to determine whether the "rattle" is normal or not. It may just be the high pressure fuel pump. The high pressure fuel pump is mounted on top of the valve cover and is driven by the camshaft. On a direct injected engine it is perfectly normal for the mechanical driven high pressure fuel pump to make a bit of noise.

31 minutes ago, Deano12 said:

One thing I have found out though is that if the car is duff, ford will replace the engine (if it's found the fault was caused by one of the number of problems) free of charge.

The risk should be limited, however it's the time taken as a lot are on back order taking up to 6 weeks to get a replacement.

Goodluck with Ford and warranty. My experience is that Ford will only replace the engine within the warranty period if all warranty requirements are met. If the warranty period has expired or the warranty requirements are not met Ford will in most cases reject the warranty claim. Even if you are right it will take a lot of time/effort and usually a way to court to prove you are right and to let Ford pay for it. 

In most cases of 1.0 ECOboost engine damage I know where the warranty period was expired the owners had to pay for the damage themselves (Ford only offered a small amount of money based on a compensation scheme). 

Apart from this the only "known problem" of the 1.0 ECOboost that is actually recognised by Ford is the degas hose problem. This problem has been solved by performing the recall in 2015. 

• Like 5

• 2 years later...
On 2/9/2019 at 10:29 AM, Dee_82 said:

that rattle is most likely the fuel pump

I'll tell where that rattle can come from, especially if you hear it at idle with the engine warmed up and whenever you decelerate in gear (coasting). It's from the wastegate's bypass valve. It simply rattles/vibrates under certain conditions and that is perfectly normal as it must have a bit of play as it is designed. That small play of the valve makes it create quite a very audible rattle. If the fuel pump would indeed make some abnormal noises and would be defective in any way, you should either have a check engine light giving the afferent code about the pump or you can live test the pump with an OBD tester and see how it responds according to the ECU's inputs/demand.

Hello @Maverick Su-35, interesting suggestion. Only problem is that the OP asked the  question nearly 3 years ago making the car about 17 years old if it still exists.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I have a 2012 1.0 Ecoboost. The oil light start flickering over a week ago and driving down the A19 the Engine Malfunction warning came on and had to be recovered on a flat bed due to not being back to get over 1000 revs. I took it to my mechanic who tried to fix it with no joy. I was advised to take it to Ford for a diagnostic. I took it in 2 days ago and they have rang me today to say that they are replacing the engine free of charge under the Ecoboost Campaign.

My car wasn't part of the recall therefore was never advised of the issue.

So looks like they are now replacing the engines again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rebeckah said:

I took it in 2 days ago and they have rang me today to say that they are replacing the engine free of charge under the Ecoboost Campaign.

My car wasn't part of the recall therefore was never advised of the issue.

So looks like they are now replacing the engines again. 

If that's so, then that will be very good news for all the owners of older 1.0 ecoboom engines