Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K&N Air Filter

mrjay

Yes.

If you don't and have an accident even if not your fault then it gives the company a reason to invalidate your policy.

Sounds petty but it does happen.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply 

Thanks going to remove my induction kit now so I cannot even add a k&n panel air filter? This is the link For the filter that I was going to replace the induction kit with

https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2955

Tbh, if you notify them they probably won't be fussed at all but at least then you've covered your back.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

What if someone was to buy a 2nd hand car that had a k&n filter fitted and they didn't know about it or know anything about cars in general?

Is it up to the car dealership (or private seller come to think of it) to remove k&n filters (not induction kits) before selling the car on? If they don't would it make them liable for a claim that an insurance company wouldn't pay out for?

I have always believed an induction kit to be a declarable mod to an insurance company but never a replacement panel filter.

Most insurers use 'upgraded air filter' as a modification so it covers both panels and cones at the same price.  Annoying really as they give absolutely no power increase and aren't something that can attract thieves.  I'd also advise against an upgraded panel filter having had a few myself, the only benefit of a cone is the noise that comes from removing airbox restrictions, the panel doesn't even get that...

Ignorance doesn't work with insurers, same with buying a car with a DPF delete, as the driver it's seen as your responsibility.

A K&N advertises increased performance so it's a modification from the original spec air filter so should be declared, annoying but true.

General rule is, tell them everything as when you do need to claim, the call handler at the insurance company will spend the first 5 minutes with strategic questions designed to identify if there is anything you have missed which gives them a good excuse to deny the claim. 

A friend had a Suzuki Vitara she bought 2nd hand. There was a crash and she made an insurance claim. It had alloy wheels on which she had not declared. She did not know they were not standard on the car. She was a 40 year old lady with young children and someone who would be considered a normal respectable person by an insurance company.  The insurance company caused a lot of trouble over the wheels but did eventually pay. When you agree the insurance it is based on your best knowledge and belief - or something like that. Your are not guaranteeing it is 100%. ie. if it is something you did not suspect or could not reasonably have been expected to know about then you should be OK. She bought another Vitara and asked me to have a look to see if there was anything that I thought was non-standard,. I couldn't see anything - this one had plain steel wheels on.  But if you don't know about all the different models/versions how can you be sure. Dealer fitted options is even more of a problem area. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, isetta said:

A friend had a Suzuki Vitara she bought 2nd hand. There was a crash and she made an insurance claim. It had alloy wheels on which she had not declared. She did not know they were not standard on the car. She was a 40 year old lady with young children and someone who would be considered a normal respectable person by an insurance company.  The insurance company caused a lot of trouble over the wheels but did eventually pay. When you agree the insurance it is based on your best knowledge and belief - or something like that. Your are not guaranteeing it is 100%. ie. if it is something you did not suspect or could not reasonably have been expected to know about then you should be OK. She bought another Vitara and asked me to have a look to see if there was anything that I thought was non-standard,. I couldn't see anything - this one had plain steel wheels on.  But if you don't know about all the different models/versions how can you be sure. Dealer fitted options is even more of a problem area. 

My Focus Zetec S has the Appearance Pack fitted so I've declared dealer option alloys and tinted rear windows under modifications. I bet loads of people haven't though thinking it's standard as it came like that from the factory.

When I had my last focus, I decided to start to make it into an St Replica. I changed rear bumper, spoiler, side skirts, stereo, heated seat switch units, peri alarm switch, wheels and probably other things I have long forgot about.

Anyway, I put the question to the instrange company, what do they need to know about?

The only thing they were interested in was the exhaust system. The exhaust was never removed or replaced, I just cut and fit an St tail pipe on the end of the existing exhaust pipe and a further st tail pipe which was a dummy with nothing connected to the right hand side of the back bumper slot to make things look right.

They classed it as an exhaust mod so charged me an extra £6 odd a year on the premium.

Obviously this wasn't an issue at all to us, neither were any of the other changes or mods I had made to the car, to the insurers.

They weren't bothered about wheels, stereo, bumpers, KN filter etc as they said they were only bothered about anything that could give a noticeable increase in performance.

Obviously they couldn't get around the face the exhaust hadn't been changed to give performance increases, just had a tail piece added to give it a different look.

This was the case with at least 3, maybe 4 insurers.

If the insurers said that then that's great but I would always want the mods listed on the policy though just in case the person on the phone didn't know what they were talking about and then come the problems in the event of a claim. They can't get out of it when it's all documented.

13 hours ago, WES180 said:

My Focus Zetec S has the Appearance Pack fitted so I've declared dealer option alloys and tinted rear windows under modifications. I bet loads of people haven't though thinking it's standard as it came like that from the factory.

Hmm, I'm not sure whether the appearance pack counts as a modification or not...  It was fitted at the factory, and was specced up before even being built (wheels can be changed after build, but privacy glass can't).  The app pack will be listed on the cars build spec on ETIS as well so easy to prove to the insurers that it was original spec... 

2 hours ago, Mavroz said:

When I had my last focus, I decided to start to make it into an St Replica. I changed rear bumper, spoiler, side skirts, stereo, heated seat switch units, peri alarm switch, wheels and probably other things I have long forgot about.

Anyway, I put the question to the instrange company, what do they need to know about?

The only thing they were interested in was the exhaust system. The exhaust was never removed or replaced, I just cut and fit an St tail pipe on the end of the existing exhaust pipe and a further st tail pipe which was a dummy with nothing connected to the right hand side of the back bumper slot to make things look right.

They classed it as an exhaust mod so charged me an extra £6 odd a year on the premium.

Obviously this wasn't an issue at all to us, neither were any of the other changes or mods I had made to the car, to the insurers.

They weren't bothered about wheels, stereo, bumpers, KN filter etc as they said they were only bothered about anything that could give a noticeable increase in performance.

Obviously they couldn't get around the face the exhaust hadn't been changed to give performance increases, just had a tail piece added to give it a different look.

This was the case with at least 3, maybe 4 insurers.

Which insurers were they out of interest?  

There are some, Adrian Flux & Brentacre for example, that are only interested in performance mods, but the more mainstream ones tend to want to know everything...  I even know someone who had insurance cancelled because of some stickers and painted calipers… 😮 

18 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Hmm, I'm not sure whether the appearance pack counts as a modification or not...  It was fitted at the factory, and was specced up before even being built (wheels can be changed after build, but privacy glass can't).  The app pack will be listed on the cars build spec on ETIS as well so easy to prove to the insurers that it was original spec... 

But it's not 'Standard specification' with the Appearance Pack wether it's factory built or not and that's where people are getting caught out. If you go into modifications on the quotes there are usually options for factory fitted upgrades. Some insurers don't mind them if they're factory fitted but as I've said I still want them listed on my policy so they can't say I haven't declared them in the event of a claim.

37 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Which insurers were they out of interest?  

There are some, Adrian Flux & Brentacre for example, that are only interested in performance mods, but the more mainstream ones tend to want to know everything...  I even know someone who had insurance cancelled because of some stickers and painted calipers… 😮 

At the time I guess the insurers would have been Swinton and probably Kwik Fit over the course of time I had that car.

As I say all they were interested in was any exhaust modifications, they weren't concerned with anything else.

• Like 1

I guess everyone who has had a dashcam installed or self installed into their cars where wiring has been spliced etc etc will have invalidated their insurances if they have not declared this as a modification?

Does the same apply for anything such as wind deflectors, led lamps Instead of filament lamps, different aerials...... The list could go on and on.

20 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

I guess everyone who has had a dashcam installed or self installed into their cars where wiring has been spliced etc etc will have invalidated their insurances if they have not declared this as a modification?

Does the same apply for anything such as wind deflectors, led lamps Instead of filament lamps, different aerials...... The list could go on and on.

That's the annoying part of being car enthusiasts, unfortunately the list does go on and on. This could be a thread all on it's own couldn't it as we all have opinions on it.

Yes, it goes on, that is why I don't think some insurers are particularly bothered about appearance mods or other basic changes as long as they do not dramatically increase power, decrease handling and stability or increase the value of the vehicle to what it is insured for or has fitted to it as built.

I can only sum up that insurers have never been interested in any mods I have ever performed on a car other than with the exhaust system. Unless things have tightened up over the last 6 years or so.

2 hours ago, WES180 said:

But it's not 'Standard specification' with the Appearance Pack wether it's factory built or not and that's where people are getting caught out.

That is a very good point...they should probably make this clearer when declaring mods!

2 hours ago, Mavroz said:

No need to splice any wiring with a piggyback fuse so it's a removable item like a standalone sat nav imo.  I'd advise against declaring a dashcam in case it incriminates you lol.  But yeah, some insurers really are that picky unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Mavroz said:

Yes, it goes on, that is why I don't think some insurers are particularly bothered about appearance mods or other basic changes as long as they do not dramatically increase power, decrease handling and stability or increase the value of the vehicle to what it is insured for or has fitted to it as built.

I can only sum up that insurers have never been interested in any mods I have ever performed on a car other than with the exhaust system. Unless things have tightened up over the last 6 years or so.

I've had the opposite experience, with some wanting to add ridiculous amounts to the premium and even totally refusing to cover certain mods.  One of which was bigger brakes...because they will of course make the car less safe... :rolleyes:  Back in the day I ended up running with about half the mods declared for a while, wasn't fussed about being paid out if I crashed, I wouldn't claim on my own at the time anyway, but was always worried about getting pulled by police.  Saw it quite often at local meets & cruises where cops would pull cars and phone the insurers to check all mods were declared, cars would usually then get seized and either impounded or crushed.  Fair enough if the mods were unsafe (cut springs or poorly rolled arches etc) but the majority weren't.  Insurance is the main reason I don't mod cars anymore. :sad: 

• Like 1

Hi.

If anyone ever needs any help with insurance for modifications then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, WES180 said:

But it's not 'Standard specification' with the Appearance Pack wether it's factory built or not and that's where people are getting caught out. If you go into modifications on the quotes there are usually options for factory fitted upgrades. Some insurers don't mind them if they're factory fitted but as I've said I still want them listed on my policy so they can't say I haven't declared them in the event of a claim.

Just wanted to bump this as I'm currently doing insurance quotes...  Looks like factory options don't need declaring, at least with some insurers!  This is Hastings Direct - 

Please note: optional extras fitted at the point of manufacture aren't classed as modifications.

• Like 1

I use comparison sites usually and that's where if you click on modifications and then on alloys it has the tick box for dealer option alloys.

On 2/27/2019 at 9:28 AM, TomsFocus said:

Just wanted to bump this as I'm currently doing insurance quotes...  Looks like factory options don't need declaring, at least with some insurers!  This is Hastings Direct - 

That’s good to know. I’ve used Hasting for a long time on my bike insurance and they did give a good quote for me for a new Fiesta.