Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.0 125 EcoBoost "Rumble"

Deano12

Hi all,

I recently reset my BMS to get my stop-start to work.

However, since then I've noticed what I can only describe as a louder "rumble" coming from the engine. I can't see how this would be related, but at the same time, I didn't notice it before the BMS reset.

I don't appear to have any power loss of warning lights show, but it's just weird how it now sounds different.

Vibrations... Maybe just slightly more, but nothing that I would call excessive.

Any thoughts? Thanks

The battery Monitoring System should only be reset if the battery has been disconnected and fully charged using a suitible battery charger for EFB batteries or if the battery is replaced by a new (fully charged) battery. A major requirement of the BMS reset is that the battery is fully charged and has not lost its original capacity. Performing the BMS reset on an older already worn battery is not a good idea.

Performing the BMS reset procedure basically makes the BMS adapt to the characteristics of the battery. Performing the BMS reset procedure on a battery that is not fully charged or lost most of its original capacity basically tells the BMS that the battery is fully charged while in fact it may be charged for only 60% or only has 60% of its original capacity left. This can result in serious problems like for example undercharging the battery or overcharging the battery. Both will seriously affect the life expectancy of the battery and can also cause the alternator to make excessive noise.

Personally I would start with disconnecting the battery and charging the battery using a suitible battery charger for EFB batteries. After the battery is fully charged it can be reconnected and the BMS reset procedure must be performed. 

If the battery is a bit older (2,5 Years or above) or has been drained completely in the past the capacity of the battery may have lost a large piece of its original capacity. In this case it is recommended to test the battery and in case of any doubts to replace it. My experience is that these batteries do not last that long. My Focus MK3  1.0 ECOboost is currently 5.5 Years old and I have to replace the battery approximately every 2,5 to 3 Years.

After the battery is fully charged, tested and the BMS is reset you can rul this out as the cause of the rumble. 

Ahh bugger! All I wanted was my stop start to work again...

I was thinking of buying a new battery anyway but was going to hold off a while just in case.

I don't want to pay ford prices so I'll look at Halfords see what they have.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Also the rumble that I'm hearing could now be the alternator you think?

Halfords think this is the right battery to replace it with. For £85 It's not bad. I expected it to be more to be honest. 40e6565eb26c3087935ba44b7715fb2b.jpg

Or £72 if you had a ford owners club discount card. 

Or £ 68 if it's me and then £ 57.80 if your cheeky like me and insist the ford owners club card can be used as well as my trade card. Lol 

Screenshot_20190210-140216.png

55 minutes ago, iantt said:

Or £72 if you had a ford owners club discount card. 

Or £ 68 if it's me and then £ 57.80 if your cheeky like me and insist the ford owners club card can be used as well as my trade card. Lol 

Screenshot_20190210-140216.png

Thats stonkingly cheap! Shame I dont have a trade card 😞

Just to confirm, would you say the extra rumble that I can hear and lightly feel would be the alternator? 

Also will running the car for the next few days (Wednesday Delivery) be ok?

I cant see the rumble being the alternator to be fair, resetting BMS has had no adverse affects on my original 6 yr old battery or charging system . 

If your unsure where the rumble is coming from, drop it into the garage you bought it from .

I cant see the rumble being the alternator to be fair, resetting BMS has had no adverse affects on my original 6 yr old battery or charging system . 
If your unsure where the rumble is coming from, drop it into the garage you bought it from .
I think I may be over thinking it to be honest. I turned the radio off and normally I have it on no matter if it low or high so that might be why I can hear it differently.
Also I've read that these engines do have a little rumble also making them sound more powerful than they actually are?

The garage I got it from is over 2 hours drive from me so it's not easy to take it back there.

After a lot of browsing tonight, I'm putting it down to normal.

saw the above video and it sounds the same, and that video is meant to be normal.

As I say, I have no power loss and no warning lights. So I guess it was me being paranoid