Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Seering Malfunction and Engine Malfunction

Bobby246

Hi guys. 

I have a 2009 1.6 tcdi diesel ford ford focus titanium. Recently it has started showing a power steering malfunction followed by a engine malfunction light on the dash. This inhibits the car from starting but after turning in and off the ignition it will eventually start. Also I get the warning when driving and it drops all the clocks on the dash. The rev clock, speed clock and the temperature clock drop to zero and all lights on the dash light up. This causes the car to idle erratically when stationary and all engine power is lost. 

Also this stops the cruise control from working until the ignition is turned off and on. 

Does anyone know from their experiences what the issue may be here. I would appreciate any help as my mechanic cannot find a fault. 

Thanks folks. 

sounds like it might be the classic instrument cluster circuit board fault (faulty soldering on the circuit board built into the speedo cluster). However, not sure what years that affects most, I think usually it crops up on older Mk2 Focus. Been mentioned many times on this forum. I might be totally wrong but that would be the first thing I would be reading up on. (and when it doesn't start there is mention of where you press hard on the speedo face to help reconnect the faulty bit) 

if it is that, there are youtube videos showing how to repair it (fine soldering and a lot of dismantling of the console). there are also companies who repair them if you send them the speedo console

33 minutes ago, isetta said:

sounds like it might be the classic instrument cluster circuit board fault (faulty soldering on the circuit board built into the speedo cluster). However, not sure what years that affects most, I think usually it crops up on older Mk2 Focus. Been mentioned many times on this forum. I might be totally wrong but that would be the first thing I would be reading up on. (and when it doesn't start there is mention of where you press hard on the speedo face to help reconnect the faulty bit) 

Or give it a thump. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club