Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Mount

reilig

Over the last 4 days I have begun to notice a clunk when I move up gears, especially 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. Also when I change down gears, 4 to 3, 3 to 2, and 2 to 1 (especially). Took me a while to figure out what was going on, but I'm 90% sure that it's excessive engine movement. I opened the bonnet and had someone jerk the car forward and back with it in gear, and the engine moves quite a bit in each direction - kind of in a circular motion. So what I am deducting from this is that the 2 side engine mounts are doing their job, but the bottom dogbone mount is either broken or it has a lot of play in it. There is a small amount of a vibration rattle when it is started cold, but that disappears when it warms up. 

Anyone got any experience of these mounts failing?

Are they an expensive fix?

• Like 1

Easy to change just take the weight off with a jack unbolt then replace with new one you can find them on e bay and they don't cost to much ☺️

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dezwez said:

Easy to change just take the weight off with a jack unbolt then replace with new one you can find them on e bay and they don't cost to much ☺️

Thanks, I brought it to my mechanic this morning. He put it up on the lift and confirmed that it was the dogbone mount. He has one ordered for it and will fit it for me later this week. 

• Like 1

that's a result then not that hard to change ☺️

• Like 1

I have a similar problem on my 1.0 litre ecoboost focus, the engine seems to vibrant and shake excessively, I've had a new genuine DMF and flywheel fitted recently  but the amount of vibration on the top engine mount is excessive, can anyone shed some light on whether I need to replace the top engine mount?

16 hours ago, Bubby said:

I have a similar problem on my 1.0 litre ecoboost focus, the engine seems to vibrant and shake excessively, I've had a new genuine DMF and flywheel fitted recently  but the amount of vibration on the top engine mount is excessive, can anyone shed some light on whether I need to replace the top engine mount?

I'm no expert, but I have been doing a lot of research on this recently. There are 2 top engine mounts (on mine anyway). One just under the coolant resevoir which is clearly visible when you open the bonnet - this mount has fluid in it. You can check it by pressing around it with your finger to ensure that it has not burst and lost the fluid. The second one can only be seen when you remove the battery and the battery casing. I don't know how to check it. My mechanic says that 9 times out of 10, the problem of shaking is caused by the bottom mount being worn. He put it up on the lift and was able to check the movement in it with pry bar. 

I had a long trip to do in my car yesterday. My mechanic worn't have the new mount until this evening. But during my drive yesterday, it got progressively. When I started it this morning, it had an audible rattle on idle and there is much more movement in the engine when I drive it than there was 24 hours ago. 

I know that this might not be much help to you, but its just some things that you can check. 

If they had to remove the engine to do any work then maybe they have not torqued the mount/s to the correct specification. @Bubby

1 hour ago, reilig said:

I'm no expert, but I have been doing a lot of research on this recently. There are 2 top engine mounts (on mine anyway). One just under the coolant resevoir which is clearly visible when you open the bonnet - this mount has fluid in it. You can check it by pressing around it with your finger to ensure that it has not burst and lost the fluid. The second one can only be seen when you remove the battery and the battery casing. I don't know how to check it. My mechanic says that 9 times out of 10, the problem of shaking is caused by the bottom mount being worn. He put it up on the lift and was able to check the movement in it with pry bar. 

I had a long trip to do in my car yesterday. My mechanic worn't have the new mount until this evening. But during my drive yesterday, it got progressively. When I started it this morning, it had an audible rattle on idle and there is much more movement in the engine when I drive it than there was 24 hours ago. 

I know that this might not be much help to you, but its just some things that you can check. 

Here is a guide on changing it looks like a pita. If it's anything like the condition of this one then guess it needs changed. Really the condition of the rubber is what you need to check for.

• 2 weeks later...

Replacing the bottom dogbone mount hasn't 100% solved my engine movement. I'm still experiencing a knock when I change down from 4th to 3rd and from 3rd to 2nd. Also a knock when I move from 3rd to 4th. 

I'm wondering if the upper mount could be gone too? The mount over the timing belt still has the oil in it - it looks in hod shape. Does that mean that it is OK? Or could it still be worn?

The mount beneath the battery is the one that I suspect. Is there a way to check them?

Well my mechanic diagnosed it as a worn engine mount - the one over the gearbox. He has ford transit connect which exhibits the same symptoms - I assume that they are both built around the same chassis. He is replacing it as we speak and he is going to replace the mount on the driver's side too (Its a pretty cheap one to replace anyway). Hopefully it does the trick. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, dezwez said:

how many and which ones fail the most?

one near the expansion bottle

one the other end by the box

is there another round the back between the gearbox and the cam belt?  If this exists I'd have thought this might take the most wear