Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number plate replacement

sonic113

Anyone know a good website to get number plates replacements?

My front one is a little worn and won't pass MOT (I don't think)  so gonna just replace it but the local factors machine is broke at moment and they not sure when they have it sorted.

Thanks

Any amount of suppliers on eBay. Haven't needed to get one for years but had occasion to get one recently and it really ***** me off that apparently new legislation means you need to have the makers name stamped on it - I like my plates bare, why the hell should I advertise someone else's business!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, StephenFord said:

I like my plates bare, why the hell should I advertise someone else's business

I feel the same way 🙁

• Like 1

The makers post code is required on plates to 'stop' illegal plate cloning.  It doesn't work though...

As others have said, eBay is good for plates, just check that they are advertised as fully legal with the post code on otherwise the MOT tester can fail them.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

, eBay is good for plates, just check that they are advertised as fully legal with the post code on otherwise the MOT tester can fail them.

I shall make sure its on them from now on ☺️

• Like 1

Can be worth trying the dealer where you bought the car. I've had plates replaced foc on a new-ish car where they agreed the plate had deteriorated prematurely.

• Like 1

Yeah I rather have my plates bare as well, I hate advertising other people business. I see one on wbay called Number Plates direct Might try those as they dont seem too intrusive, also got 100% rating so they must be decent enough and have advertised as Fully Road legal. I like the The 3D font but may just go with the normal incase I get a MOT tester who is super picky with stuff.

Normal set 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-of-Number-Plates-Standard-Any-Vehicle-MOT-Compliant-Road-Legal-Registration/283359050628?hash=item41f983fb84:g:aeoAAOSw3NtbHbLq

3D Font set
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-of-Number-Plates-3D-Font-Car-Reg-MOT-Compliant-UK-Registration-FREE-POST/283355385670?hash=item41f94c0f46:g:RYcAAOSw7kVbHbZv

I think it was honeycomb designs and such that became illegal I used to make them when I worked for serck Marston many years ago.

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

I do occasionally know what I'm on about. :laugh: 

I think I will get some 3d ones ☺️

• Like 1

I got one for my wife's car recently on eBay. Someone had reversed into it with a towbar and smashed a ball shape bit in the middle. I found it hard to find a eBay seller which did not put on their listing that they need to see the documents, but I did find one. The plate is much thinner plastic than usual and very bendy but actually that might be quite good as it might flex more if someone else hits it on front of car. I accept the law says the makers have to put their name on it. Not so keen on the fact that the name printed on it is DANGER .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, isetta said:

the name printed on it is DANGER

lol ☺️

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, isetta said:

...the name printed on it is DANGER .

I'm sure the little lady is chuffed LOL

These are the ones I bought a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Standard-Metal-Pressed-Number-Plates-MOT-UK-Road-Legal-Car-Registration-Alu/292831744881?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Only had to take a copy of the documents sent through eBay messages and they were sent the next day

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zece said:

These are the ones I bought a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Standard-Metal-Pressed-Number-Plates-MOT-UK-Road-Legal-Car-Registration-Alu/292831744881?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Only had to take a copy of the documents sent through ebay messages and they were sent the next day

I will give these a look thanks ☺️

you dont see the embossed plates much these days. I assume because some sort of machine is needed to press them. price looks good. some negative feedback on these plates. some saying bent when arrived. some saying they are not legal (not sure exactly how they are not legal)

I would probably prefer metal embossed plates. They don't break and they don't get damp under the clear plastic which often causes plastic plates to need replacement

Pressed metal and raised gel plates are legal as long as they meet all other requirements, some testers and traffic cops don't know the laws though...

Pressed metal plates are good if you buy quality ones, but I bought a cheap set that had been made in two pieces...split apart with the first jetwash!  The more expensive ones suffer with stone chips if you do a lot of motorway miles.

I now run raised gel plates as they look a bit more modern for the age of cars I drive now and the gel doesn't get chipped.  The reflective backing can still blow apart if water gets in though.

I'll be looking into 4D plates for my next car when the price drops a bit.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club