Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive shaft replacement- take the risk??

iiAdaaamV1

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a 2002 Fiesta. To me it looks quite a good deal, £690, MOT to Nov, 68000 miles. Drove it at the weekend and it went well apart from the issue the owner pointed out- it needs a new front passenger side drive shaft. The seller has replaced it before with a used one but it needs replacing again, and this time he has bought a brand new one, which he plans on doing himself. 

My question is- should I risk it? Garage has quoted me £40 for the labour to place the drive shaft. I've done a HPI check and it's never been written off, literally never had anything wrong with it apart from this. Was serviced at the end of last year and had an oil change and new tyres. 

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome

Thanks

go with it when the driveshaft is done ☺️

My question is, what’s wrong with the driveshaft and why has it failed previously? Maybe that’s my 2 questions then lol

• Like 1

The problem with used spares is you never know how much life is left in it to start with. Had he replaced it with a brand new one to start with I'd certainly question why it's gone again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Luke4efc said:

The problem with used spares is you never know how much life is left in it to start with. Had he replaced it with a brand new one to start with I'd certainly question why it's gone again.

The same is also true of cheap ‘new’ parts lol

On 2/11/2019 at 11:27 PM, stef123 said:

The same is also true of cheap ‘new’ parts lol

ECP "Starline" rear arb link, 3 weeks and  < 300 odd miles... 😁 The chap had to get someone to verify that it was indeed their part and then told me, thats what you get for buying cheap...

• Like 1

Most likely a Jayar CV Joints one...  At £30 for a complete driveshaft you have to expect some quality issues lol.  I've been lucky with them so far but know of a few that haven't been.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Micro said:

ECP "Starline" rear arb link, 3 weeks and  < 300 odd miles... 😁 The chap had to get someone to verify that it was indeed their part and then told me, thats what you get for buying cheap...

I’ve fitted a few Starline parts, yellow and black packaging? Never had any issues but it’s already been a last resort lol. 

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:08 PM, Luke4efc said:

I won't use second hand parts never no how they have been look after ☺️ 

On 2/19/2019 at 7:54 PM, stef123 said:

I’ve fitted a few Starline parts, yellow and black packaging? Never had any issues but it’s already been a last resort lol. 

Yep! Bought two boxes, both boxes had two in each (hologrammed stickers and bagged inside). Took one back, told that's unusual but ok, here's a refund.

When I went to get a replacement, thats when they opened every box in the shop and only had one in each. Had a refund instead, and bought Delphi ones from a local motor factors for the same price as two starline ones from ECP. They've been on the car since with no issues. £36 is some price for two long bolts + nylock nuts,  + plastic moulded bits...