Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 blower stopped working

Martijn89

Hi all,

Unfortunately I had a new issue with the MK8 today. For some reason the blower totally stopped working, everything was controllable but no air coming in. Fuses were fine, the climate control system operated correctly, but no blower working. Brought it in at Ford, they rebooted the whole climate control system and then the blower was working again. Anyone else had this issue with the MK8? It was new for the Ford dealership. Let's hope that it was a one time failure... Maybe this information helps someone if it happens to you.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t had this issue before but I sometimes notice a noticeable delay between me increasing the fan speed using the controls and the fan speed actually increasing, I wonder if whatever it is that controls this had a “bad day” on yours and just stopped controlling the fan speed

Oh that's interesting, I have to try that. It seems to work now though, which I'm happy with. I don't really like the idea of rebooting a computer and "it works again", the root cause is still there. Ford says this Fiesta is one of the newer cars that doesn't use a resistor for controlling the blower but electronics (probably frequency controlled?), and this was quite new to them as an issue. 

Yes, the reboot and "it works again" is the traditional short term fix but at the same time, if it's working fine now, fingers crossed it will stay that way for now.

• 1 year later...

Yes, I'm experiencing this problem on my 69 reg fiesta st-3 it's going in to Ford's this week for tests to be carried out.

How exactly did they reboot the system?

• 1 month later...

Same here, had this exact issue today after a very icy/snowy night..not sure if that's caused it. Guess it will be going in 😕

Hello, this happened to my 2018 Fiesta Titanium yesterday too. All electronics work, but the blower doesn’t come on at all. Looks like a trip to the garage tomorrow; two months of warranty left!!

Could this be related to temperature? I have noticed on my Mk8 if it is cold the fan doesn't appear to run but once the engine has warmed up a bit I can hear and feel the fan speed up. Did you try the 'max' button. It might be nothing but it could be a way of not blowing cold air into the car if the outside temp is low.

I factory reset the Sync 3 system and the blower started to work. Really odd, unless it’s because it isn’t being used as much as it was before and also with the colder temperatures recently.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 5:16 PM, jsk said:

Could this be related to temperature? I have noticed on my Mk8 if it is cold the fan doesn't appear to run but once the engine has warmed up a bit I can hear and feel the fan speed up. Did you try the 'max' button. It might be nothing but it could be a way of not blowing cold air into the car if the outside temp is low.

Yeah I've noticed that before too but this time no air was coming through at all even after 20 mins of driving, adjusting all the controls and and with max on too. The windows were misting up and if it wasn't for the heated seats I'd have been positively freezing 😄 

On 1/24/2021 at 6:29 PM, joe900 said:

I factory reset the Sync 3 system and the blower started to work. Really odd, unless it’s because it isn’t being used as much as it was before and also with the colder temperatures recently.

Interesting! Haven't bothered doing anything yet as I'm hardly driving atm but I guess I'll give that a try!

Same happened to me last week on my ST Line X. I checked the blower fuse and it was ok. However to check the fuse you have to unplug the fusebox which effectively reboots everything when you put it back and guess what it now works again.

So after checking the fuse and trying the sync reset both with no success, took the car in today and they sorted it.. apparently "just a bad connection". Not the most reassuring diagnosis 😅 but thankfully no charge as still within warranty and they gave it a wash and vac too so guess I wont complain too much 😄

On 24/01/2021 at 5:16 PM, jsk said:

Same here on my 2019 mk8 Vignale

Went out today in the morning was cold 2 degrees, blower not coming on everything else working climate control lighting up, not sure if coincidence but I turned the blower control know which of course over rides the climate control and the blower started to work i thought it may have something to do with me running car in eco mode.  Otherwise a heater blower not working in the cold seems stupid to me if its by design

I had the same thing happen to mine about 6 months ago a 69 plate bought brand new and the dealer claimed the fans had seized on a car used nearly daily for its entire life so far.

1 hour ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

Otherwise a heater blower not working in the cold seems stupid to me if its by design

It's not as stupid as it seems.  Firstly it stops you getting blasted with cold air before the heater gets the chance to warm up.  Secondly it stops the blower sucking all of the heat out of the heater matrix while the engine is trying to warm up.

But that's not to say some on here aren't broken as well lol...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

It's not as stupid as it seems.  Firstly it stops you getting blasted with cold air before the heater gets the chance to warm up.  Secondly it stops the blower sucking all of the heat out of the heater matrix while the engine is trying to warm up.

But that's not to say some on here aren't broken as well lol...

Good point Tom, to be honest I hadn't thought that one out properly, what you say makes perfect sense.....its me that was stupid I guess 🙂

After a few tests. To figure out why no blower  if car has climate control on.

when I get into the car after several hours of no use I get no blower no matter if I turn heater control know to max or min (hi or lo)

If I switch to max, or just manually turn blower control knob which of course deactivates the climate control then blower works

Also switched off eco mode but made no difference.

Its as if when on climate control the blower doesn't work at all no matter what temp I set it to.

However when the engine has warmed up it works.

Phoned my dealer and Ford today....they were useless.

Can anyone please confirm if this car is behaving normally Fiesta 2019 mk8 Vignale.

Cheers

31 minutes ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

After a few tests. To figure out why no blower  if car has climate control on.

when I get into the car after several hours of no use I get no blower no matter if I turn heater control know to max or min (hi or lo)

If I switch to max, or just manually turn blower control knob which of course deactivates the climate control then blower works

Also switched off eco mode but made no difference.

Its as if when on climate control the blower doesn't work at all no matter what temp I set it to.

However when the engine has warmed up it works.

Phoned my dealer and Ford today....they were useless.

Can anyone please confirm if this car is behaving normally Fiesta 2019 mk8 Vignale.

Cheers

Hi Steve,

I think it's basically as Tom said above - & the key part for me was when you said that the fan works when the engine's warm. 

If it's set to auto, as Tom was saying you won't get any air blowing as the system waits a few mins til there's some heat in the engine to pass on, so you don't get a cold front approaching haha. 

Sounds as though your fan is working  - if you can turn it on with the dial & if it comes on when you press max demist. 

If that's what's happening then yes I think that's normal 🤓

51 minutes ago, wordchild said:

Hi Steve,

I think it's basically as Tom said above - & the key part for me was when you said that the fan works when the engine's warm. 

If it's set to auto, as Tom was saying you won't get any air blowing as the system waits a few mins til there's some heat in the engine to pass on, so you don't get a cold front approaching haha. 

Sounds as though your fan is working  - if you can turn it on with the dial & if it comes on when you press max demist. 

If that's what's happening then yes I think that's normal 🤓

Thanks Blair, yes it certainly does look as though what Tom was saying is the case, it certainly makes sense.  I guess I just reposted as it seemed strange others in this thread had witnessed the same issue....But when taking their car to a Ford dealer did appear to find a fault, which didn't seem to be caused by design.

Thanks again Blair, I'm glad to avoid a cold front at least 🙂 🙂

4 minutes ago, Chainsawcharlie said:

yes it certainly does look as though what Tom was saying is the case, it certainly makes sense. 

Yes, I can also confirm my car behaves that way.😃

12 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Yes, I can also confirm my car behaves that way.😃

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for confirming this, I can now avoid a fruitless trip to the dealer.

Thanks

On 2/1/2021 at 10:39 PM, Chainsawcharlie said:

Thanks Blair, yes it certainly does look as though what Tom was saying is the case, it certainly makes sense.  I guess I just reposted as it seemed strange others in this thread had witnessed the same issue....But when taking their car to a Ford dealer did appear to find a fault, which didn't seem to be caused by design.

Thanks again Blair, I'm glad to avoid a cold front at least 🙂 🙂

No problem 😊 glad it's working. Others have clearly had faulty fans though, which is a bit of a worry as it's safety-critical esp in winter. Was grateful that Joe further up the thread, mentioned that a Sync reset can work. Obviously hoping the fan on mine doesn't fail but at least would have something to try if it did... 

• 3 weeks later...

2018 Fiesta. Nothing blowing out of heater or air con this morning. I might be wrong but I don't think the heater has been heating to full capacity for a while but could be wrong. Wrong weather to use air con. Car booked in at Ford dealer on Friday. 2 weeks ago passenger door would not unlock on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.  Monday it opened first time.

Had this car from new. Now it's coming up to 3 years old it's starting to fail. Will trade in for a Honda if it keeps playing up.

• 10 months later...

Hi, so I'm having same issue with my 19 plate Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost, and it's just out of warranty... luck me aye? Came to drive the car this morning after a cold night/cold morning and the blowers won't kick in. Checked the blower fuse, which is fine, yet to try the Sync reset, although very odd that that would affect the blowers?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club