Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK8 Fiesta ST-Line Engine Run In

TomBoyNI

Hi,

I was just wondering what the general consensus was on running in an engine?

I have just changed from my Red Edition to a new Mk8 St-Line so am currently taking a nice and easy approach the first 1500 miles or so.

I was wondering what people's views are on running in an engine.  I know Ford don't mention an oil and filter change early on after a 'run in' in fact I don't think Ford even really mention a 'run in' but surely it has to be a good thing?  Surely there will be plenty of little metal fragments in the filter and some fresh oil wouldn't be a bad thing?

So does anyone still do a oil and filter change around the 1500 mark?

Cheers 😎

I have a 2017 Red Edition (one of the last of the "old" shape which means I got a massive discount when I bought it). I did follow the running in procedure as specified in the owners manual of limiting the revs, changing gear early, not labouring the engine and varying the engine speed frequently. There was no oil change or service recommended until 12,500 miles (or 1 year) so the oil wasn't changed until then. I seem to recall limiting revs to around 4,000 until I reached 1,000 miles but that was my own choice and opinion. The owners manual didn't specify a particular rev range.

I bought a new 3 litre Granada Scorpio 4x4 in 1990 and ran it in very carefully over 3000 miles.   Oil and filter were changed at 1000 and 2000 miles and then every 6000 miles.   I did 170,000 miles in that car and it never used a drop of oil.

2 hours ago, TomBoyNI said:

Hi,

I was just wondering what the general consensus was on running in an engine?

I have just changed from my Red Edition to a new Mk8 St-Line so am currently taking a nice and easy approach the first 1500 miles or so.

I was wondering what people's views are on running in an engine.  I know Ford don't mention an oil and filter change early on after a 'run in' in fact I don't think Ford even really mention a 'run in' but surely it has to be a good thing?  Surely there will be plenty of little metal fragments in the filter and some fresh oil wouldn't be a bad thing?

Cheers 😎

Hi @TomBoyNI,

I recently upgraded to a MK8 ST-L-X 140ps and asked the same question to the tech & sales person. Both gave me different answers so I had to read the manual 😞 

Below is an extract of the 'Driving Hints' section under breaking in. I'm following that advice and keeping under 3k revs (based on previous threads) and changing early to see how it goes.

I actually had to boot it today though off a junction (very tight space before the potential of being stuck behind 4 artics on a single road) so I may have exceeded the 3k lol.

Hope this helps!

PS She flew down the junction (nice to hear the turbo!!) with ease 🙂 

"

Tires
New tires need to be run-in for approximately 300 mi (500 km). During this time, you may experience different driving characteristics.
Brakes and Clutch
Avoid heavy use of the brakes and clutch if possible for the first 100 mi (150 km) in town and for the first 1000 mi (1,500 km) on freeways.
Engine
Avoid driving too fast during the first 1000 mi (1,500 km). Vary your speed frequently and change up through the gears early. Do not labor the engine."

21 hours ago, Bobr said:

I bought a new 3 litre Granada Scorpio 4x4 in 1990 and ran it in very carefully over 3000 miles.   Oil and filter were changed at 1000 and 2000 miles and then every 6000 miles.   I did 170,000 miles in that car and it never used a drop of oil.

Seems to have used quite a few drops of oil with all those changes 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robbyvrs said:

Seems to have used quite a few drops of oil with all those changes 😀

On the other side of the coin, I was advised not to bother changing the oil on my first car as it was burning/leaking so much it was effectively being changed every week anyway😀

On 2/12/2019 at 5:38 PM, TomBoyNI said:

Cheers 😎

Not seen that for a long time now. However, not a fan of Ford's new extended service interval (2 years/18,000 miles) now I'm only doing a low annual mileage, so I'm having an oil/filter change when I take mine in for an annual check at the end of the month.

I am part of a BMW forum where this "early oil change" was discussed. There was some knowledge about the initial oil that goes into the engine when new contained a special "something" that was designed to help the engine bed everything in during its early miles, then, if you change that oil too early then the additive that was put in would not be there when it was needed.

Now, there was an element of intelligence around it, but certainly no proof.

1 hour ago, nashdm2 said:

I am part of a BMW forum where this "early oil change" was discussed. There was some knowledge about the initial oil that goes into the engine when new contained a special "something" that was designed to help the engine bed everything in during its early miles, then, if you change that oil too early then the additive that was put in would not be there when it was needed.

Now, there was an element of intelligence around it, but certainly no proof.

That is interesting. Never heard of anything like that before - but it does make sense. 

Technology is a wonderful thing

3 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

On the other side of the coin, I was advised not to bother changing the oil on my first car as it was burning/leaking so much it was effectively being changed every week anyway😀

Not seen that for a long time now. However, not a fan of Ford's new extended service interval (2 years/18,000 miles) now I'm only doing a low annual mileage, so I'm having an oil/filter change when I take mine in for an annual check at the end of the month.

And I am on total agreement of the 2 years / 18000 interval. But then again, if the oil and improved and the technology and science supports it - what do I know other than previous habit. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club