Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus 2016, hammering sound when accelerating on ice, 1.gear

cartman9090

2016 focus 1.0 - sometimes when I accelerete in 1.gear, partially icy road, there is a hard loud noise. Like something is "hammering", or like the sound from a worn out shaft sounds like when turning, only harder. Meaning repeating, fast hammering sound, following the acceleration. The dealer suggested there could be a lot of ice under the car but I dont believe this is caused by ice.

It really is mechanical sound. If I didnt know better I wound think it is a falult in the gearbox. First I was thinking it is the anti-spin system that causes the sound. Since it seems to appear only when the tyres has a little grip, more than it has on pure ice. I dont know if the anti-spin system can cause a lound hammering noise like this? As far as I know the system only reduce thrust, there is no mechanical effekt.

my old 2010 focus used to sound horrendous when slipping and not getting grip.  clunks clicks and rapid banging everywhere!

If you can get a sound clip of it that may help us out... but sounds like it could be normal.

or  a video if that's easier...

You may have to link it to offsite hosting.

It's the traction control trying to get grip.
I get it every time I pull away a bit too vigorously in my ST unless I turn traction control off.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

I get it every time I pull away a bit too vigorously in my ST unless I turn traction control off.

Tell me about it...

• Like 2

Tell me about it...
Good for scaring my wife though [emoji106][emoji57]

• Haha 2

Ah! Do you recognize it like in my description?

How can the traction control ( anti spin) make this sound, does it affect the brake disc or something? 

1 hour ago, cartman9090 said:

Ah! Do you recognize it like in my description?

How can the traction control ( anti spin) make this sound, does it affect the brake disc or something? 

Traction control individually brakes any spinning wheel using the ABS system. :smile: 

28 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Traction control individually brakes any spinning wheel using the ABS system. :smile: 

Ok, but which mechanical part causes the "hammering" sound? It happens only now and then. I believed the anti spin only reduces thrust, no mechanical parts to produce this sound? 

20 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Like this? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J6MhgnKaEsTXldZD43YDp5Ubgicf-Td4/view?usp=drivesdk

4 hours ago, cartman9090 said:

Ok, but which mechanical part causes the "hammering" sound? It happens only now and then. I believed the anti spin only reduces thrust, no mechanical parts to produce this sound? 

It physically uses the brakes...I'm not sure how I can explain that any more clearly.  

It uses the ABS braking system to hammer the brakes on and off quickly in order to try and get the power sent to whichever wheel can gain adequate grip.
A bit of brake bang is better than a thud when you spear off into a wall [emoji57]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, cartman9090 said:

Ok, but which mechanical part causes the "hammering" sound? It happens only now and then.

It's important to understand that the ABS works by pulsing the brakes on and off. It doesn't have the capability for proportional braking.

By braking the spinning wheel power is transferred via the diff to the other wheel. I believe some traction control systems combine braking with reducing engine power. I don't know if the Focus system does this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 2015+ ST does utilise torque vectoring to reduce torque steer but not sure what other years / build levels do.

• Thanks 1

That noise isn't abs/traction control. That's you're engine /gearbox slapping about through lack of grip . Rear engine mount is  soft rubber to absorb general vibrations from getting into vehicle body . Mine does the same if I pull away quickly. If I was bothered by it I would fit a stiffer mount , I prefer less vibration. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

It physically uses the brakes...I'm not sure how I can explain that any more clearly.  

Now I tried turn anti-spin off, but is still there.... Hmmm

I turned traction control off, no difference. 

Which model /milage is your car? 

Would it help to have a new new engine mount, it may be that the soft rubber has become softer after 70.000km? 

On 2/12/2019 at 8:02 PM, TDCiST said:

my old 2010 focus used to sound horrendous when slipping and not getting grip.  clunks clicks and rapid banging everywhere!

If you can get a sound clip of it that may help us out... but sounds like it could be normal.

On 2/12/2019 at 10:27 PM, Stoney871 said:

On 2/12/2019 at 8:08 PM, TDCiST said:

or  a video if that's easier...

You may have to link it to offsite hosting.

2 hours ago, iantt said:

That noise isn't abs/traction control. That's you're engine /gearbox slapping about through lack of grip . Rear engine mount is  soft rubber to absorb general vibrations from getting into vehicle body . Mine does the same if I pull away quickly. If I was bothered by it I would fit a stiffer mount , I prefer less vibration. 

Would it help to have a new engine mount, if the soft rubber has become even softer after 70.000km? 

I can replicate that banging on any 1.0 focus ( but not only 1.0 focus) when pulling away quickly with a bit of gravel/ loose surface then a grippy surface shortly after. Basically the wheels initially spin then grip. 

As for mounting, unless it's broken up, a new identical  one probably won't make much difference

1 hour ago, iantt said:

I can replicate that banging on any 1.0 focus ( but not only 1.0 focus) when pulling away quickly with a bit of gravel/ loose surface then a grippy surface shortly after. Basically the wheels initially spin then grip. 

As for mounting, unless it's broken up, a new identical  one probably won't make much difference

"I can replicate that banging on any 1.0 focus ( but not only 1.0 focus) when pulling away quickly with a bit of gravel/ loose surface then a grippy surface shortly after." 

Is exactly like that on that surface. 

My local dealer is not familiar with the issue, nor with the engine mount when I asked. The Ford warranty is 5 yrs in my country. I don't know how to have them take a look at the engine mount issue. 

I see that some suggest that the anti-spin is activating and causes the sound via the brake disc. But disabling the anti-spin does not change it. Unless, turning it off does not really turn off in this model, only reduce sensitivity. 

I believe you are right though. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club