Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NEWS: Keyless Cars Stolen in Seconds... But Help is on its way for new Ford Owners...

TDCiST

Old news I know... but an interesting bit near the end of the article, mentioning Ford will now start to be fitting motion sensors into their keys, so they turn off after 40 seconds...

Also worrying that a focus can be nicked in just 6 seconds...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8406759/keyless-cars-stolen-in-seconds-legal-gadget/

For those who don't want to click the link... see below!

"With a scanner, it took a mere six seconds to unlock a Ford Focus and start the engine — and not much longer to swipe nine others ranging from a Skoda to a Jaguar."

"Ford said it will soon be introducing a motion sensor that means a fob that has been still for 40 seconds goes into sleep mode — affectively blocking a scanner."

• Like 1

BMW have already implemented this fix to newer cars, yet don't seem to be willing to retrofit  😠

I wonder if ford will be more willing. 

That seems like an excellent idea tbh.

But if Ford skimp on the motion sensors and buy cheap unreliable ones you won't be able to get into the car yourself. :unsure:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

That seems like an excellent idea tbh.

But if Ford skimp on the motion sensors and buy cheap unreliable ones you won't be able to get into the car yourself. :unsure:

Ford skimp🙄

• Haha 2

Wouldn't it be easier to just drop keyless entry?

23 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Cars would still get stolen, very easy to steal a car, 

6 hours ago, Abzynthe said:

BMW have already implemented this fix to newer cars, yet don't seem to be willing to retrofit  😠

I wonder if ford will be more willing. 

I'm sure they would consider it... for the cost of reprogramming, new keys, labour charges etc etc etc… that would be a large sum of money!! I can't see them offering it as a "Warranty Job" if they do allow it at all.

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

😯 but then i'd have to press the button to unlock my car... and I've grown lazy in the last year! lol

A motion sensor would still be keeping the key operating while you walk away from the car having parked it. Plenty of opportunity to unlock your car and drive it away.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2019 at 8:01 PM, TDCiST said:

I'm sure they would consider it... for the cost of reprogramming, new keys, labour charges etc etc etc… that would be a large sum of money!! I can't see them offering it as a "Warranty Job" if they do allow it at all.

That is true. I asked BMW, but they denied all knowledge haha. Sometimes being on forums like this is painful as we often get information before dealers do! 

Just keep the key in a Faraday pouch particularly overnight . around £7  on amazon. Pretty foolproof solution while we all wait for Ford to do something.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club