Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking for advice on possible future jobs to get done on my 56 plate Focus?

Reliance

Hi folks.

I've had my Mk2 Focus since August 2018. It's a 1.4 Sport, had about 92,000 miles on the clock and no service history when I bought it. Got it for cheap because of the lack of history and a few bumps and scrapes on the body. Since then I've had it fully serviced including new spark plugs, cambelt and water pump done, changed the air filter and cabin filter, and last week got a wheel alignment and oil and filter change. The mechanics who've seen it in the time I've had it have all commented on how the car is in very good condition for it's age and "is a good little motor", things to that effect. I've had the suspension and brakes looked at because of little niggles I had but have been told several times everything is in good nick. Clutch is also fine, no issues whatsoever.

The car currently has just under 96,500 miles on the clock and isn't due an MOT until August. I am thinking to possibly get some parts replaced, but don't want to go spending money unneccesarily. I'm more thinking what would be the best route to take to replace older parts, for peace of mind and the sake of longevity. Say for example if I could afford to get new suspension front and back now, it is worth doing to save me the hassle in the long run? (I'm planning on running this car until it dies/is no longer worth it.) Other possible things I was considering looking into was getting new brakes front and back, and also new brake lines, if it's worth it! Another thing I've been considering, would there be any benefits of getting an aftermarket/"better" exhaust system on the car? 

I'm looking for advice on what could be things to get done now when I can afford it, that could save me the headache in the long run? Like is there anything that could become an issue in the next 10,000+ miles in a 12.5 year old car? I'm not interested in making the car sportier or louder etc, just want to get longevity out of it. 

Thanks.

Before modding - bare in mind a cambelt and water pump change at 100k.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

Got that done in November around 94,500 miles 👍

• Like 1

Got that done in November around 94,500 miles [emoji106]
Mod yer little heart out [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Haha 1

I have two Ford Focus's, both of which have advisories on the recent mot. Both have 70-80k miles, with one of them a year older than yours. 

Interestingly both have the following mentioned on the mot report, or have been spoken about when having tyres changed:

1) Front discs issues (pitted/scored). Pads to be replaced at same time. 

2) Rear anti roll droplinks have play. One is having them both replaced next week, due to knocking noise. 

3) Front suspension arm bushes have play. All will need replacing soon. 

Maybe weaknesses in many Focus's of this age and mileage? 

1 is more common on low mileage cars or ones that sit about for days at a time. 

2 and 3 are relatively common issues on the focus. Nothing major really. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pistolpete1 said:

I have two Ford Focus's, both of which have advisories on the recent mot. Both have 70-80k miles, with one of them a year older than yours. 

Interestingly both have the following mentioned on the mot report, or have been spoken about when having tyres changed:

1) Front discs issues (pitted/scored). Pads to be replaced at same time. 

2) Rear anti roll droplinks have play. One is having them both replaced next week, due to knocking noise. 

3) Front suspension arm bushes have play. All will need replacing soon. 

Maybe weaknesses in many Focus's of this age and mileage? 

I've replaced the anti roll droplinks myself maybe 3 months ago. But yea the brake discs and front suspension, I just have that kinda intuative feeling from driving the car regular that there's something amiss. That's what I find so odd that the visual checks I've had done have all come back saying it's all in decent condition! Last mechanic I'd asked gave me a funny look when I said I may replace the front suspension anyway as a precaution.