Do Not Sell My Personal Information

eco boost - told you need a new catalic converter?

Sandrab

Daughter went into Ford dealer in Montrose due to noise from exhaust.

Dealer told her a new cat was needed at a cost of over £800.

turns out all that was needed was a repair/replacement to the flexibility pipe from cat was company called pipe dynamics in fife did the work for £150....

• Like 3

2 guys I used to work with that own pipe dynamics. Good value for money on their custom work and repairs. 

• Like 2

jeez, just makes you want to snot 'em. So wrong, we all know it goes on but dealers like these need a slap.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LesPes said:

jeez, just makes you want to snot 'em. So wrong, we all know it goes on but dealers like these need a slap.

I agree 

• Like 1

Tbf, main dealers can't/won't weld.  It's only indy garages or custom shops that would.

To fix a small exhaust leak the dealer will just have to replace the damaged part which does mean a big bill unfortunately.  Glad you were able to find a cheaper repair though!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TomsFocus said:

Tbf, main dealers can't/won't weld.  It's only indy garages or custom shops that would.

To fix a small exhaust leak the dealer will just have to replace the damaged part which does mean a big bill unfortunately.  Glad you were able to find a cheaper repair though!

Maybe that is the case so shouldn't the dealer be saying "look, you can get this repaired cheaper elsewhere" instead of "that's £800, thank you"

• Like 2

Why should they? There a business wanting to make a profit like any other. You go to a ford dealer for ford service and parts? If you didn't then you would go to an indy. 

You get the ford price for a ford genuine  replacement part. If you don't want that , go to an indy 

• Like 3

Agree with that, main dealers are a business that dont want to mess around with repairing parts and components.They just replace them.

I was in a restaurant and couldn't understand why I couldnt have a bottle of wine for £3.99 . Lidl do wine £3.99. most disappointed. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, iantt said:

I was in a restaurant and couldn't understand why I couldnt have a bottle of wine for £3.99 . Lidl do wine £3.99. most disappointed. Lol 

I was in a ford dealer and couldn't understand why they were all moaning about business being quiet, most happy lol

• Haha 2

everyone just needs to be a bit more savvy and not just take first opinion/quote from anyone for anything without first checking other options. The primary object of any business is to make money, you can't expect them to point out there may be a better option elsewhere. We all have to take responsibility ourselves for spending our money wisely.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, isetta said:

everyone just needs to be a bit more savvy and not just take first opinion/quote from anyone for anything without first checking other options. The primary object of any business is to make money, you can't expect them to point out there may be a better option elsewhere. We all have to take responsibility ourselves for spending our money wisely.

I would expect them to be up front. I totally agree with businesses making money etc but this is the general problem british businesses are mostly so expensive that people go elsewhere. Something  is seriously wrong when you can buy "genuine parts" and get it delivered from overseas cheaper. I got a full size spare wheel and new tyre a couple of years back £198 they wanted, sourced it from Germany instead £95 delivered with a Continental tyre. Being savvy is one thing, refusing to be fleeced is another.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, iantt said:

You get the ford price for a ford genuine  replacement part. If you don't want that , go to an indy 

With serviceable items you pay the price for a part made by manufacturer X that has been rebranded. You can easily source the exact same parts from various 3rd party suppliers for much cheaper.

The term genuine ford part is very misleading and designed to brainwash people into believing only the dealer can supply the exact identical part, and anything sourced else where is some how of inferior quality or fake.

For example, ford ecoboost spark plugs are made by NGK. If you buy from a ford dealer you are buying the exact same plug with motorcraft branding.

All the various filters, Ford do not make them. Mann, Mahle, Bosch are behind a lot of them.

Brake calipers, ATE, TRW etc....Throttle body, Bosch etc..the list of manufacturer behind the part is endless.

Everyone should spend a bit of time looking around before relying on the dealer for parts, they are profiting from our ignorance.

• Like 2

I understand the whole dealer is a business who needs to make money etc but my issue with it is that there is a difference between being expensive but doing a good job and ripping your customer off. 

For example, I bought a spare tyre for my car a little while ago. I wanted alloy that is the spare wheel option on the fiesta but I couldn’t have due to B&O system. I went to my dealer and they quoted me 90 for the alloy alone. New and Ford branded. On the Ford parts website, it was about 60 quid, also new and Ford branded. To me a 30 quid difference between the same product crosses the line of “more expensive service etc” and becomes a rip off when all they were doing is supplying the part and bearing in mind they’re a ford dealer, you’d have thought there would have been some consistency in pricing between Ford and the dealer, who I get are independent of Ford but like I say, it just becomes a rip off than a premium price

• Like 1

And that is why it pays to shop around if a customer feelsa price is too expensive.

When I buy a new car I play dealer against dealer until I get the price I want or as near as damn it.

Some people can't be bothered shopping around if time is more important to them than cost.

Saying this,I have never understood why some people buy bread and beans from Aldi, then go to Asda for beer, then go to Home bargains for biscuits and on and on....

I guess these are the uber shop around people.

7 hours ago, LesPes said:

I was in a ford dealer and couldn't understand why they were all moaning about business being quiet, most happy lol

Must have been a ***** dealer then. Most I'm associated with are booked up weeks ahead and are constantly looking for more staff. 

7 minutes ago, iantt said:

Must have been a ***** dealer then. Most I'm associated with are booked up weeks ahead and are constantly looking for more staff. 

Well bully for you. Perhaps they would get staff if they paid them well after all they charge enough.

Booked up weeks ahead.......with warranty work.

I'm sorry if I'm giving you the wrong vibe with my comment. I'm just trying to say dealers as a whole are not quiet. I worked for a small ford dealer for 14 yrs and we were rarely quiet. Warranty work was a small percentage of the work that was carried out. 

Yes there are alot of rip off merchant dealers out there who couldn't care less.

20 minutes ago, iantt said:

I'm sorry if I'm giving you the wrong vibe with my comment. I'm just trying to say dealers as a whole are not quiet. I worked for a small ford dealer for 14 yrs and we were rarely quiet. Warranty work was a small percentage of the work that was carried out. 

Yes there are alot of rip off merchant dealers out there who couldn't care less.

lol, thats ok. look we all have opinions and i respect yours, i don't agree with some of it as im sure you dont agree with mine but thats life.

Funnily enough years ago and i mean years !! my brother was a ford mechanic at a dealers, he left as he couldn't handle £3 an hour whilst they charged £13. I told him to get his own garage and charge £13 an hour. He left and has never been a mechanic since.

It was grim wages years ago and due to your brother and countless others leaving  those who have stuck it out ( 38 yrs) can ask what they want within reason.

• Like 1

Just now, iantt said:

It was grim wages years ago and due to your brother and countless others leaving  those who have stuck it out ( 38 yrs) can ask what they want within reason.

so true 😊

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club