Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Parts required for driveshaft change - Focus mk3 2.0 TDCI

DickP

Hi

Can anyone list what components are required for driveshaft change on Focus mk3 2.0 TDCi please?

I have seen mention of seals that have to be replaced on the Mondeo which I presume has the same gearbox?

Does the gearbox oil have to be drained to take the driveshaft out?

To remove the passenger side do you have to remove the driver side first?

Thanks,

Unless you damage the seal dragging the driveshaft out the box , you shouldn't need to replace seal, just be careful when sliding shaft out box keeping it horizontal as you remove it. 

Only part I would  replace is the lower arm ball joint pinch bolt and nut, and driveshaft nut. 

Just need a lever bar to unclip the driveshaft from box. 

When you pull driveshaft out box , the oil will come out too, so have something to catch it. 

Once all back together , just top the oil up at the level plug.

• Like 1

Hi Ian

Thank you for your help.  Will get the oil ordered.

Presumably the lever bar action is to prise the shaft away from the gearbox to disengage it?

Thanks,

I would get the seals as well. it is just a few quids and it is pretty irritating when you see oil dripping after everything is buttoned up. Ask me how i know this.

Hi

So I should get the seal then?

Any brands I should avoid?

Thanks,

5 hours ago, Tonis_T said:

I would get the seals as well. it is just a few quids and it is pretty irritating when you see oil dripping after everything is buttoned up. Ask me how i know this.

How do you know this?😉

2 minutes ago, WES180 said:

How do you know this?😉

Cause he must have damaged the old seal taking shaft out or putting it in. 

1 minute ago, iantt said:

Cause he must have damaged the old seal taking shaft out or putting it in. 

He asked us to ask him Ian!!! 🙂

It's Friday night and I'm bored lol.

• Haha 1

Well, I did not damage the old seals while removing old shafts. Some body else did.

However I was the one who changed the seals afterwards. Just as frustrating though.

New seals were cheap (OEM from Ford) and would have added whole 5-10 minutes of work, provided that you change them when everything is already apart.

In this case it took few hours+transmission fluid to top up and also right side engine mount witch was busted and was noticed while doing all this (ok - ok, changed all 3 when noticed that one was busted) and helicoil and new bolt because I managed to screw up the threads of mounting bracket. 

Problem with not changing the seals is that when you nick them it is almost impossible to notice while removing shafts and only way to know for sure is to see if it leaks afterwards. Considering the cost of the seals, I would change them during the time everything is a part for the first time.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club