Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus mk3 1.6 Ecoboost

Jonanstee

Can someone explain the coolant problem with the 1.6 Ecoboost.

Im looking at getting the 1.6 Ecoboost soon but want to make sure im not throwing away money.

I have tried looking online for more information about the issue but everything returns about the 1.0 which I have been told has a different issue to the 1.6

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,

The coolant disappears somewhere on the 1.6, no one seems to know where for sure, but it results in cooked engines and occasionally fire.  There is plenty of info online about it on both the Focus and the Fiesta ST which uses the same engine.

Ford's answer to this is to recall the cars and fit a low coolant level sensor so you can stop safely if the coolant level drops.  Not really a fix though!  There will also be a clutch recall on a Mk3 1.6.  If you check ETIS it will show whether your car has any outstanding recalls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

The coolant disappears somewhere on the 1.6, no one seems to know where for sure

That's what I was looking for. To see if there was a fix that could be done. 

How common do you think the problem is?

When mine went in for the recall it was the first one the dealership had done so to be on the safe side they replaced everything coolant related, about 7 months later not lost a drop of coolant

• Like 1

I've been looking into the statistics of the Ecoboom problem. 

Not found anything specific, but public opinion is that its quiet bad. However, when you think about it 600,000 cards sold over a period of time, with currently about 3000 failures on record. Some of those 3000 are the same people with failed second engines.

I think it makes it about 0.5% of all ecoboosts produced have the problem.

I think its just because of the hype around it at the moment. Personally I brought a 1.0 focus 3 weeks ago not knowinig the extent of the issues, but there are ways to "keep an eye on it".

Every car has its problems, unfortunately the EcoBoost engines are engine failures rather than smaller failures.

From a statistic point of view, I dont think the % of failures is any larger than any other car? I could be wrong though.

• Like 1

So after the recall is done there shouldn't be any problem but keep a bottle of coolant in the boot just in case?

26 minutes ago, Jonanstee said:

So after the recall is done there shouldn't be any problem but keep a bottle of coolant in the boot just in case?

Thats what I would like to think... The Coolant Tank is prone to cracking and leaking coolant... Found a few on mine and waiting to get it replaced. Luckily they seem to only be on the top of the bottle, so its not leaking, but you never know - I cant take the bottle off to see. 

Ordered a new one online and awaiting delivery for then to have it fitted.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Deano12 said:

Thats what I would like to think... The Coolant Tank is prone to cracking and leaking coolant... Found a few on mine and waiting to get it replaced. Luckily they seem to only be on the top of the bottle, so its not leaking, but you never know - I cant take the bottle off to see. 

Ordered a new one online and awaiting delivery for then to have it fitted.

From what I've found it looks like the damage is to the cylinder head cracking meaning a very expensive repair 😕 

Really not sure if I want to take the risk or not

2 hours ago, Jonanstee said:

That's what I was looking for. To see if there was a fix that could be done. 

How common do you think the problem is?

As I say, there doesn't seem to be a definite cause so very hard to 'fix' sadly.  

I wouldn't say the problem is common, it's certainly far less common than the degas hose on the 1.0 engine, I see them broken more than once a week on the facebook groups!  The difference is that when the 1.6s fail, they can cause fire which is the main concern really.

In theory, as long as the recall has bee done, and you stop immediately if the low coolant warning comes up, it should be ok...although obviously inconvenient.  It's not a risk I'd be willing to take myself, and would also not buy a prefacelift 1.0 due to degas issues.  Whether or not it is worth the risk for you is entirely a personal decision. :smile: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deano12 said:

A new coolant reservoir is fitted to the 1.6EB's under the recall so this shouldn't be an issue for the OP.  :smile: 

It's always worth checking these tanks on any Ford though...Ford never have been able to make them robust enough, they were forever breaking back in the Mk6 Fiesta before the extra heat and pressure associated with the EcoBoosts!

Would a Mk3.5 1.0 Ecoboost be a better choice for reliability? 

4 minutes ago, Jonanstee said:

Would a Mk3.5 1.0 Ecoboost be a better choice for reliability? 

Better in terms of fewer coolant issues yes, also less rain leaks on a Mk3.5 compared to the mk3. 

However they do have other problems, clutches seem to be the main issue with them but there is a recall in place for that as well.  I am currently after a 1.0 Mk3.5 myself as the least worst option lol, running costs should be quite a bit less than the 1.6EB as well, but they aren't that quick even with a map, if you want decent torque you're better to stick with the 1.6.

I'm getting my mk3 coolant hoses changed over to the mk3.5 versions next week. Also looking into fitting the additional coolant pump as well. This will hopefully sort our my coolant worries.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

I wouldn't say the problem is common, it's certainly far less common than the degas hose on the 1.0 engine, 

From what I have read changing to the mk3.5 hose fixes this issue? 

8 minutes ago, Jonanstee said:

From what I have read changing to the mk3.5 hose fixes this issue? 

Yeah it does, as well as adding the coolant pump and replacing the reservoir.  But most people don't know this.  They just get the recalled hoses which break again and again!

There are other coolant issues with the earlier 1.0s as well though, cracking exhaust ports in the head and leaking waterpump seals plus a few other less common issues.  The facelift engine seems to be a better bet so far.

• Like 1

I Have had both recalls done (Cooling and clutch 1.6 182 BHP Focus 25000 miles 2013 reg) I must admit I have had no problems with the cooling system prior or post the recall. I do check regularly. The clutch recall seems to have eradicated the judder on take up as well. Was happy to purchase a 1.5 3 cylinder as my final car ( had Fords all my life 40 plus years) but issues with oil pressure switches and particle filter alarms are putting me off

No problems with my 2012 1.6 coolant, had the recall done last year.

I'm still waiting to get the clutch slip detection software update done, probably get that next time I'm off work at Easter.

I'm trading it in later this year so it's been a painfull time this week paying out for 2 tyres, rear pads and rear n/s caliper. Oh well, at least someone will be getting a good car, only done 45k.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club