Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Servicing

Sph1

Hello all. Quick couple of questions from a newbie. 

My Focus is due it's 2nd year service but it's had 2 already, as when I bought it the main dealer serviced it again. (Mileage)

Just wondered what this " Major " service will include and has anyone had issues/problems with over pricing and been taken for a ride. I've looked on Ford and other places to see and seen some horror stories from some. 

Many thanks

So when was last service done ? mileage and age  Servicing intervals are 12 monthly or 12500m which ever comes first .

So your car could have been serviced last time based on mileage, 25k and could be only 18 months old. Your next service should be 12 month or 12.5k from the last one. 

First service was done at 9520  miles in Sept 17. Then I bought it in Feb 18 and was serviced again 9800. Now it's a year obviously and I've just clocked 15100 miles. 

My main question i guess is what should this service, being a major one include. When I checked on the Ford sites it seems to be different for a lot of people. Some have everything replaced like wipers brakes and pads etc. oil and air filter and the pollen thing done. But some just seem to have a check everything is working and top up of liquids kind of service.

Don't want to get ripped off so just thought I'd ask on here before asking the dealer and booking it in. 

Cheers.

Have a look on Ford etis

https://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/serviceScheduleForm.do;jsessionid=Z_zygNFRE4LQMQ7wHhn3rDIg8mT-wkFAoa388gWH.eccvas1900k

This will tell you what is actually specified for each service interval in either mileage or years, interim (minor) and major. The major will include new spark plugs and various other checks and at certain intervals say 10yrs 125,000 miles aux drive and cam belts.

With regards to things like pads, wipers etc then they are extras (perishable items) so will be car specific as and when required. The dealer will call you when they are servicing the car if they notice you need any extras to see if you would like them replaced at additional cost whilst they have your car.

If your worried of being ripped off, then ask the missus for some old nail varnish! .....whip off the plug leads and dab the tops of the plugs with the paint - paint a short line on the oil filter - paint a short line on the air filter when the car has been serviced check that the plugs & filters are new and most importantly the ARE brand new parts fitted and the paint is not evident.

Drain the washer bottle to near on empty and let them fill it to the brim with the good stuff.

Check your oil level! Take a pic of the colour of the oil on the dipstick, after the service check the oil again, should be visibly different.

Count the clicks on the handbrake! if it's had a major service they'll adjust it, so recount the clicks after the service.

All hinges should have been cleaned & regreased, so look to see if this has been done.

.Our local Warsop Ford Dealership is trustworthy, but some are not, infact Matlock Ford was a terrible experience for us! They said the oil & filter had been changed when it clearly hadn't been done, it still had the nail varnish on it and the dipstick was marked up and had never even been removed, so our car had basically sat by its lonesome for a few hours, they washed it and said its done sir and that'll be £100 odd quid sir.

• Like 1