Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

OBD2 Diagnostic For Samsung J6 2018

WES180

Hi all. Sorry for yet another thread, I've tried searching the forum but I'm still lost lol.

If I buy the Tunnelrat modified elm wifi version will that work with my android phone (Samsung Galaxy J6 2018) on my mk3 Focus or do I need something else?

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/WiFi_Modified_ELM327/p4541936_17045473.aspx

Not sure which software I need too, Forscan, Focccus etc?

Is the software free anywhere or is it all purchase only?

I'm thinking the android version rather than laptop as I only want it for diagnostic purposes so I like the fact that I can keep the cable in the car and I always have my phone in my pocket. I will not be attempting any alterations or uploads to the car.

Thanks everyone

Wes

Forscan is free for windows but paid for for other options, also you dont get full functionality from the lite version. im not sure if a Galaxy J6 will be able to run it i know they can struggle with some apps.

Heres a forscan function chart https://forscan.org/comparsion.html

There is a forscan forum that offers great support.

Is Forscan suitable for the mk3 Focus though? I read somewhere it's not but they could be wrong hence double checking.

Thanks.

Forscan works on pretty much all Fords to read fault codes etc.  It's a fantastic piece of software, I use it all the time.  Free too on the laptop though I think you have to pay for the app.

FoCCCus only works with the Mk3 PFL (although some features still work on facelift) but is mainly for altering settings and activating features.  I don't think it's available as a phone app though.

I've got both , a usb and WiFi version. Find the WiFi version usefull for just checking dtcs on all modules using forscan lite for Android and can monitor sensors etc. I use it on my Huawei p8 lite phone on Android without any issues. Use the usb one via laptop for programming central car configuration via focccus and forscan 

Not tried the WiFi on laptop but assume it should work fine  but not for programming

That's great, thanks everyone.

I only thought to buy it because my 'Engine Fault service Now' annual message came on again yesterday. It probably happens twice a year absolute maximum but doesn't leave any codes that my basic reader can detect.

I think my basic reader clears them though because my mate stuck it on Ford's system and there were no codes to display.

If I buy the USB version can i plug that into my phone with a micro USB convertor so I could use the elm on both laptop and android?

Quiet on here today. I've ordered the USB version and a micro USB convertor. Hopefully that will work with my phone. If not then just the laptop.

53 minutes ago, pragmatix said:

Phone might not have enough power for the ELM an Iphone dosent.

Doesn't it get it's power from the OBD port? My code reader does.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

Don't think it will work .

Why Ian? I thought it might just be like using a computer via wifi or ethernet?

I've got a laptop I can use it with anyway and the USB convertor was only £1.85 delivered so not really lost anything.

I didn't think the mini usb on a phone  worked like a pc usb port? If it does then fair play . I'm no phone expert. Lol 

4 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Doesn't it get it's power from the OBD port? My code reader does.

I think it get power from both, all i know iPhone says not enough power or something similar, and if you plug the ELM into a computer it lights up an led.

I'm no pc expert either .lol  I'm still in this era. That's embarrassing finding that in the living room. 

15503406255101193830823.jpg

• Haha 1

From a bit of googling for it to work on the phones micro USB the elm would need to support USB OTG (On The Go) or something like that lol.

Oh well, laptop it is then.🙂

Where is JW when we need him, he seems to be an electrical whiz!

22 minutes ago, iantt said:

I'm no pc expert either .lol  I'm still in this era. That's embarrassing finding that in the living room. 

It's Ian's floppy d**k, I mean disc!

Predictive text strikes again!😂

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, iantt said:

Ive got some 5.25's if you want them😂

My laptop doesn't support this tech, or dvd/CDs as I found out after buying my last laptop ,lol . no dvd drive. Got one at work with dvd drive and must get round to transfering some stuff off my CDs/ dvds on to memory stick at some point. 

14 minutes ago, iantt said:

My laptop doesn't support this tech, or dvd/CDs as I found out after buying my last laptop ,lol . no dvd drive. Got one at work with dvd drive and must get round to transfering some stuff off my CDs/ dvds on to memory stick at some point. 

That must be an old one then Ian, maybe something like this?😂

Screenshot_20190216-191915_Gallery.jpg

Ok, so I've got my Tunnelrat modified elm327 USB, now, where do I get the drivers from for my laptop as the how-to-guide on the website doesn't have any links?

Mine is the CH340 chipset. I've Googled that but I don't want to install the wrong thing on my computer as I'm a bit technically challenged lol.

Thanks

Found them lol, under a separate tab on their website. It would be a bit more helpful if they were on the guide page!

Well, this isn't working! I haven't got a clue how to install it properly.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?  :wink:

How far have you got?  Is the cable being recognised by the laptop?

I can't open the file like it says to so I can set the exe as administrator or something like that. When I just run the file as is it says drivers installed but then when I plug the elm cable in it tries to find suitable windows drivers.

I need to get someone I know to look at it because the laptop is saying it's an unofficial version of Windows so that might be causing a problem. I got the laptop from work so might need to get our IT guy on it as he set them up originally. It's never had this problem before so maybe the licence has run out or something.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club