Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine doesn't turn off when removing the key

Matbay86

Hi I'm having a problem with my 2014 focus ecoboost. I turn off the engine and remove the key and the engine stays on? The start stop function works when it wants to which isn't very often. Ford dealer thinks maybe the fuel pump but can't see how that would be related to the issue. Nobody has come across this before?

• Like 1

There a few a few potential causes. The spark plugs may be faulty or the incorrect grade, this may also effect your start/stop function. Does it over rum for a long period? I've seen this fault before, but it was on a Triumph Stag, and it was over 40 years ago LOL

• Like 1

Would think it's a faulty ignition switch tbh.  Does everything stay on or does the dash go off once you remove the key?

• Like 1

if the incorrect spark plug grade was causing it I could see the possibility of the plug tips being so hot that the ignite the compressed fuel/air without a spark but that would cause a very rough running on, not normal smooth running. I am also thinking maybe faulty ignition switch.  but also possibly a sticking relay.

• Like 2

Everything turns off ok on the car as if normal but the engine stays on. I have to stall the car to turn it off and if the start stop decides to work you think it's off and start to walk away and it turn itself on  again?  This morning the battery was completely dead after just having it tested and saying it was perfect. 

53 minutes ago, Matbay86 said:

Everything turns off ok on the car as if normal but the engine stays on.

Ah that's interesting, it's not the ignition switch then.  I must admit, I haven't heard of this with any other Mk3 Focus so far.

It does sound like a fuel issue, used to be the FPR on older cars but I doubt it's that if it'll restart after stop/start activates.  It does sound like a sticking relay for the fuel pump/ECU could be the cause but very odd for a fairly new car.  There have been issues with the fuel pumps on these 1.0EBs so it could potentially be that as Ford suggest.  Have they done any diagnostics or is that simply just their guess from your description?

• Like 1

They ran a diognostics and it had a lot of fault codes. They didn't say what the faults are but they cleared them and the car was fine for a couple of days but then it started playing up again 

The obvious next stage is to return, and see if any of the original cleared fault codes have reappeared...

• Like 1

Have you got a code reader or have you tried the hidden menu to see if any fault codes (DTC's) have logged there? Someone should be able to help if they know what codes are being generated. I've ordered a modified elm327 cable for mine so I can see more than what my basic code reader shows.

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.com/USB_Modified_ELM327/p4541936_17045457.aspx

I have just gone through the hidden menu but don't really know what I'm looking for

It will either list fault codes or say NO DTC (fault codes). It will only display some codes apparently just like basic code readers hence why I've ordered the modified elm327 that I put the link to above. It's one of the most popular models with forum members. The Forscan computer software to run with it is free to download.

Here is a screen shot showing the NO DTC.

Screenshot_20190217-201126_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last time I saw a case like this was in 'The Love Bug', circa 1969.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, mozz said:

Last time I saw a case like this was in 'The Love Bug', circa 1969.

Good old Herbie!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WES180 said:

Good old Herbie!

Come to think of it, 'Christine', now that was scary..

13 minutes ago, Matbay86 said:

I had no DTC

Have you checked on Ford Etis to see if there are any outstanding field service actions?

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do;jsessionid=Q-EkAvosqE0cdrz8zC-UW29EI286wMN1qFAx6s2h.fcvas1901h

Seems to be a major problem in America

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/02/ford_recall_software_bug/

The car just had a recall for a software update for the clutch slipping. The problem with the engine started after that

There are no outstanding recalls to my car. I had a feeling that this was a software issue but ford dismissed that idea straight away but the problem in America is the same

12 minutes ago, Matbay86 said:

The car just had a recall for a software update for the clutch slipping. The problem with the engine started after that

Why didn't you mention that before lol?

Get it back to Ford's and kick off, that's what I would be doing.

Lol didn't even think, I will get on to them tomorrow. 

• Like 1

The US PCM maps will be different to European ones but I agree you should definitely take it back if it only started after they had it.  I haven't heard of any others having this issue after the clutch slip recall though so possibly a coincidence.

On 2/15/2019 at 7:10 PM, isetta said:

if the incorrect spark plug grade was causing it I could see the possibility of the plug tips being so hot that the ignite the compressed fuel/air without a spark but that would cause a very rough running on, not normal smooth running. I am also thinking maybe faulty ignition switch.  but also possibly a sticking relay.

There is (at least on the Mk2.5) two separate "Ignition" cables coming from the ignition switch. One goes to feed an ignition sense line on a module, and the other feeds directly into the fuse box (ignition rails). It is plausible that one is sticking on, if you have a standard key ignition switch. If the ECU is not receiving power, then it should in theory not inject any fuel (unless injectors stuck on) and therefore no fuel in cylinders to combust and run. 

If your car isn't under warranty, or recently (<6mo) bought from a dealer, then you can try manually disconnecting the ignition switch electrical connector/fuse and seeing if this will stop the car once key removed.

One other thought is, do these cars have a function where they remain on until the engine bay temperatures have reduced to a safe level, kind of like the old school turbo timers?

I spoke with ford technical team and they asked to take to my local ford dealer to investigate and got an email address to send the details to if it is a software issue to good the charges. It is booked in for Tuesday as the earliest date. I had to explain everything and they weren't having any of it until I told them about the last recall and it running like a diesel and the battery going flat. She then said oh don't worry about contacting ford I know what it is. Having to jump start my car every day until then.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 2:36 PM, Matbay86 said:

I spoke with ford technical team and they asked to take to my local ford dealer to investigate and got an email address to send the details to if it is a software issue to good the charges. It is booked in for Tuesday as the earliest date. I had to explain everything and they weren't having any of it until I told them about the last recall and it running like a diesel and the battery going flat. She then said oh don't worry about contacting ford I know what it is. Having to jump start my car every day until then.

Don't forget to post back with an update seeing as "they know what your issue is"!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2019 at 2:48 PM, Matbay86 said:

Hi I'm having a problem with my 2014 focus ecoboost. I turn off the engine and remove the key and the engine stays on? The start stop function works when it wants to which isn't very often. Ford dealer thinks maybe the fuel pump but can't see how that would be related to the issue. Nobody has come across this before?

Kill switch 👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Car-Ignition-Switch-Engine-Start-Push-Button-3-Toggle-Racing-Panel-PK-T7F3/263864266365?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122125356%26meid%3Df29c5e0884dd4281a7a8678014a7ab37%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D231118886479%26itm%3D263864266365&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851 

🤔 but it says for race use only, that means that you must drive like you stole it every time you push the start button; otherwise it's not compliant 

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club