Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery lead and red cover..How do they fit

jace1969

Advice...Never buy the traffic light Ctek checker as it just don't work,wrong reading in 10mins from full Green light to red and battery is 100% charged and full.

Does the Red + end that fits onto the battery lead just bolt off as it looks like its got a fuse on the side and a bolt so you can put a new end onto the lead.

Also the cover that goes over this,its a red plastic clip cover that seems to fit down the side then comes over the top to cover the terminal as mine has snapped off.

You try these gadgets to help and end up costing you more money and time.

battery lead.jpg

battery lead cover.jpg

Are you having trouble removing the positive terminal?

If so, just remove the nut on the right side of the terminal (on your first picture) with a 10mm spanner or socket. This should loosen the terminal connection, just wiggle and slide off.

However, please note, if you are disconnecting the batteryalways remove the negative terminal first. This is to prevent the car from being grounded - if the negative terminal was still attached and you bridged a connection between the positive terminal and a grounding point on the car (any bare metal of the car) you could cause a short circuit and damage something.

What are you looking to achieve here? The terminals look to be in good condition to me, although hard to tell from a photo. 

If you are looking to replace the red plastic terminal cover, which I would highly recommend as this could short out on anything metal in the area then you need one of these: 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322540157241

there is a tab in the photo which needs to be pushed in, allowing you to lift up the whole cover, exposing the fuses and the terminal. Think the plastic flap gets a little bit brittle over time. 

All the best

5 hours ago, nathanphillips said:

What are you looking to achieve here? The terminals look to be in good condition to me, although hard to tell from a photo. 

If you are looking to replace the red plastic terminal cover, which I would highly recommend as this could short out on anything metal in the area then you need one of these: 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F322540157241

there is a tab in the photo which needs to be pushed in, allowing you to lift up the whole cover, exposing the fuses and the terminal. Think the plastic flap gets a little bit brittle over time. 

All the best

What it is the bolt whats on to tighten it up has taken chunks out of the terminal,as you can see in the second picture they are at a angle so i cant get a spanner behind

to hold it why i tighten the long nut as it should not need to be held as it fits into a ridge and locks in place but no ridge so battery it tight but not 100%.as it all turns.

• Thanks 1

this would be considered a bodge but would work. But you need mole grips / vice grips with good quality hard teeth jaws, not the cheap ones where the teeth are too soft. The threaded bit sticking out top of nut - hold that with mole grips whilst you do the nut up.  I know that knackers it up so that you would never be able to get the nut right off. But you never need to get the nut right off.  This would mean you can drive it with the confidence of knowing it is tight enough. 

The thing is I needed to get the nut right off to fit this so called battery traffic light tester which you leave on as it slots over the bolts but I have taken it back off now as a waste of time as not a true reading.
That's the right thing I need on the link so will get one as a stand by as I took the whole lot off earlier and checked it and made it tighter but I know I need one anyway,I have had to get the cover which I ordered separate as its dangerous.
Traffic light tester is a waste of time but the charger same make is spot on and cigi adaptor to charge it from the port.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Glad To have helped you buddy 😂 I got one in Lidl/Aldi for £3.99 that checks batteries and lights up depending what voltage the battery is at, also has an alternator test function, which is done when the engine is running, and this one uses clips- never seen anything that requires the batteries clamps to be removed 🤔 keep an eye out for one of them they’re really good for the price

• Like 1

11 hours ago, nathanphillips said:

Glad To have helped you buddy 😂 I got one in Lidl/Aldi for £3.99 that checks batteries and lights up depending what voltage the battery is at, also has an alternator test function, which is done when the engine is running, and this one uses clips- never seen anything that requires the batteries clamps to be removed 🤔 keep an eye out for one of them they’re really good for the price

Yes cheers and i did get a tester off eBay and around £3 and it works great,it test the battery with the 3 lights and alternator when car is started.

battery shows amber light on and a flickering green which is fine as its hard to get a full green light (full) as car has to settle down for 30mins first to get the level so always take that small amount out of it and if you start the car then turn it off like seconds its full green,Amber is 12v and Green is 12.6 so i should say mine is around 12.3.

Alternator when car is running and all stuff OFF its the Amber light on and flickering green which is 13.2 Amber and 14.5 green which is smack on so it looks like around 14.2.......Top light it overcharging which is 15.5 and red light (dangerous)

Well wait for plasic cover to arrive ans see how it fits and all back to normal so cheers for the advice.

After 2 nights sitting locked with alarm on sits at a good Amber light,tested 3 day early morning which is on nice 12v so holds charge ok.

I say holds it charge but should sit at around 12.7 so im.7 down and will only go lower through standing but i will kill any battery as my very low usage.

Just a quick thing,if you charge a battery up full and leave the car locked say 2 nights should this battery hold a steady charge of 12v.(amber light on tester and starts perfect.

A lot of  ''Google searches'' and reading say 12.6 area but coming of here its a bit more Genuine as battery is 12 months old 2 days ago with 3 years cover but it

don't seem faulty.

2 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Just a quick thing,if you charge a battery up full and leave the car locked say 2 nights should this battery hold a steady charge of 12v.(amber light on tester and starts perfect.

A lot of  ''Google searches'' and reading say 12.6 area but coming of here its a bit more Genuine as battery is 12 months old 2 days ago with 3 years cover but it

don't seem faulty.

A fully charged new battery should be  12.66 volts that’s 2.1 v a cell.I would expect a healthy year old battery after a couple of nights of being discharged to have a reading of approximately 12.5.

Well all I can say is amber light comes on when I test it and that being 12v but if I say start the car for 10 mins then leave say 1 hour after it comes up green which is 12.6 on the tester,I know batteries won't last me long being standing a lot and very short trips but would you say 12 month of this what I do would do this drop around 0.5 over a 12 months period being why I now charge it every week or so if I'm leaving it.

4 hours ago, jace1969 said:

Well all I can say is amber light comes on when I test it and that being 12v but if I say start the car for 10 mins then leave say 1 hour after it comes up green which is 12.6 on the tester,I know batteries won't last me long being standing a lot and very short trips but would you say 12 month of this what I do would do this drop around 0.5 over a 12 months period being why I now charge it every week or so if I'm leaving it.

As I understand it testing a battery straight after being charged gives a false reading because of surface charging around the terminals.To get a more accurate  reading the battery needs to be sitting for approximately 24 hours on its own.Yes I think 12 volts after two nights is too low 👍

See I never charge it on a journey so it always comes back and sits for around 3 days again and not back to it's full charge so I'm thinking this is being left again when it's still low to start,saying that I did charge it as I said for 8 hours last week and full on charger then tested a few days later after a few very short runs and left it as you said over night and it was amber with a flickering green so close to the 12.6 as I said green is 12.6,I will have to see if it's me killing them the trips I do and standing as I can't keep going down every 12 months if it drops 0.6 or so on the voltage.

57 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

See I never charge it on a journey so it always comes back and sits for around 3 days again and not back to it's full charge so I'm thinking this is being left again when it's still low to start,saying that I did charge it as I said for 8 hours last week and full on charger then tested a few days later after a few very short runs and left it as you said over night and it was amber with a flickering green so close to the 12.6 as I said green is 12.6,I will have to see if it's me killing them the trips I do and standing as I can't keep going down every 12 months if it drops 0.6 or so on the voltage.

Trickle charge every night to see if the battery is holding its charge 👍

I did this last week mate with my new CTEK charger/recond with lights up 8 lights and goes through all the testing and left it for 2 days and was on Amber,it charges it slow like 8+ hours then maintains the charge if you leave it on the charger.
See the tester I have I just has lights but don't give a read out just 3 lights and alternator test when started,the battery is Red is 11.5= charge now Amber is 12v=ok and Green 12.6= full and seems mine is when left 12 to 12.3 rough as its amber or a short run then back and test its 12.3 as amber with flashing green not constant green,by the way thanks for your help on this.

So are you saying that after trickle charge/ maintenance every night and a couple of short trips a week your battery is reading approximately 12-12.3 v👍

12 minutes ago, jace1969 said:

I did this last week mate with my new CTEK charger/recond with lights up 8 lights and goes through all the testing and left it for 2 days and was on Amber,it charges it slow like 8+ hours then maintains the charge if you leave it on the charger.
See the tester I have I just has lights but don't give a read out just 3 lights and alternator test when started,the battery is Red is 11.5= charge now Amber is 12v=ok and Green 12.6= full and seems mine is when left 12 to 12.3 rough as its amber or a short run then back and test its 12.3 as amber with flashing green not constant green,by the way thanks for your help on this.

Not every night I tried it once last week for a 8 hour charge then left it over night and popped out the following morning came back and left it again for a good 5 hours then went and tested it and was on amber with flashing green so like in between the 2 lights.

My car has been standing for a week without use and it is reading 12.4 v

I would be using the Ctek every night to be honest👍

I'm popping car down Friday to have it checked but I rang them and said depending what's running when locked like alarm etc and how much use it gets each day to put in what it takes out it should read 12v to 12.5 to 12.6 and said mine would be the lower one being usage and if I go out when dark with stuff on like lights and stuff as its standing after with still not a full charge.

1 hour ago, jace1969 said:

I'm popping car down Friday to have it checked but I rang them and said depending what's running when locked like alarm etc and how much use it gets each day to put in what it takes out it should read 12v to 12.5 to 12.6 and said mine would be the lower one being usage and if I go out when dark with stuff on like lights and stuff as its standing after with still not a full charge.

Ok good luck on Friday.I do know to prolong the life of a car battery it’s state of charge should be as close to being fully charged at all times👍That’s why I think in your circumstance a regular trickle charge would be a good idea.Let us know how you get on because I am in a similar situation to you and considering like I said in another thread of buying a Ctek charger/maintenance gadget👍

2 hours ago, williamweb said:
Ok good luck on Friday.I do know to prolong the life of a car battery it’s state of charge should be as close to being fully charged at all times[emoji106]That’s why I think in your circumstance a regular trickle charge would be a good idea.Let us know how you get on because I am in a similar situation as you and considering like I said in another thread of buying a Ctek charger/maintenance gadget[emoji106]

There great mate and I would get one and thanks a lot for your help [emoji106]will let you know.

Also just got me another tester as only £15 but plugs into cigi lighter to test alternator and battery but the best thing its Digital so a closer read out as this cheap

one i have,yes £2.50 is a bit hit and miss as i have a big gap between 12 and 12.6.

I might be that bit over the top with this battery and stuff but this is my only means of transport if i need to rush out for family issues.