Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sync 3 & Map update

billyboy

My Ecosport is now 11 mths old so I thought I would check for any updates and sure enough it said that I needed to do it.

I bought a 32gb usb stick and proceeded to download the Sync 3 update, no probs and it took a couple of hours.

Next I transferred the zipped file to the memory stick, I couldn't unzip the file as I don't have an unzip program so I thought

that I would give it a go anyway and see what happens.

I went to the car and and started the engine and inserted the stick into the usb port  and it started straight away, I went for

a drive and the download took about 20 mins. I removed the stick and when I got home I took it to my pc and went to the

Sync website and downloaded the XML log file. 

Brilliant everything went perfect but it took a couple of days before the website acknowledge that I'd done the update.

Next I did the Maps update, what a nightmare that was.

First I downloaded the update, that took exactly 15 hrs.

Then I found out how to unzip the file and the process took another couple of hours

Next I tried to transfer the file to my 32 gb memory stick after an hour it came up error and it said there was not enough room.

The file was 23.3 gb big and the 32 gb memory stick said there was 28.7 gb of usable memory space .

I tried a couple of times but no luck so I went and bought a 64gb memory stick and put it on that.

Next I went to the car and did what the instructions said and went for a 1hr drive, zilch nothing so it was back to my pc and

I erased the zipped file and I thought that if the Sync 3 update worked with a zipped file maybe the Map update would so

I loaded that which took another couple of hours and then back to the car.

I started the engine and inserted the memory stick and Bingo it worked straight away so I went for another drive.

The first stage took exactly 30 mins .

I then did an ign cycle and it started again this time it took exactly 45 mins, I left the memory stick in to give it time

to generate a log file.

I took the stick back to the pc and checked the log file so that I could register it, nothing no log file

The FAQ page on the website said to go to the page and download the logging file and put the stick back in the

car and get the log file big problem , after searching for about one hour I could not find a logging file so I

searched the internet for an answer and the best I could find was that some one on the Ford Focus site said

that they had the same problem and they contacted Ford who said that the Map update does not generate

a log file as it's not necessary, why the 'eck don't Ford update their instructions.

So all in all it took me over 24 hrs to update my Maps but I'm still not 100% happy about having no log file.

The bottom line is, I found out that it's not necessary to unzip the files and the Map update doesn't need a log file

I know this is a lengthy post but I hope it might help someone in the future.

It's a miracle, I put the memory stick back in the usb port and went for a drive this afternoon and surprise surprise

it's created a log file , it did put up an error message but I was driving so I ignored it, when I got back home I went

straight back to the website and entered my log.

So yes they do create log files for Maps but it can take a while, It's crazy. All I can say to anyone out there having

difficulties is , stick with it you'll get there in the end.

Thats interesting , I need to update my map from F7 to F8 but I am having greatb problems unzipping the file to produce the file names that Ford said I should have (using both mac and windows 10).

The download of the map only took seconds as opposed to your hours.

Did you use a mac or a pc to download the files from the Ford website ? and can you confirm that your sync3 system loaded a unzipped file.

I used a pc with normal broadband, not fibre, and it took from 8am to 11pm to download. 23.3gb.

My download rate is 3mb/s according to Bt and they say that is good for my system.

When I unzipped the file as per instructions nothing happened it was as dead as a Dodo .

When I rubbed that file out and put the zipped file on it worked perfectly, I couldn't believe my luck.

I just  clicked on the zipped folder to open it and copied the two files plus the SyncMyRide folder inside

to my memory stick, I didn't open the SyncMyRide folder I left that as it was.

That's how the file structure should be on the stick.
The files within the syncmyride folder are self extrscting CAB files.
P.s, I edited your original post for you. [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

I gave the update site a couple of days to sort my details out and today I plucked up courage to check .

Hey presto it says I'm all up to date so it's accepted my XML file for the map update.

All in all it was simple enough it was just time consuming and a lot of crossed fingers,

hair pulling and finger nail biting. What's happened to technology,, I thought we were

supposed to be in the 21st century. I was a school  IT technician for 21 years and still

found it very stressful, if only Ford would rewrite the instructions and pay more attention.

• Like 1

They want it to be a faff so you go to them then they can charge you £120 an hour plus diagnostic costs etc.

Sent from my SM-G965F (S9+)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Just done the latest sync 3 update, no problems, 2hrs to download the files I don't have superfast broadband and ten minutes to update the system then back to the Ford website to enter the log files. Luckily everything went smoothly. 

• 1 month later...

I have had several bad experiences with the maps in my 2018 Ecosport Sync3 Navigation System being out of date. I have tried finding out from Ford if there are updates. The best I can say about that is any questions on the subject sends the Ford "help" agent into the jabber mod. So far I have not been able to get coherent answers on : a. If there are updates;  b. How to get them; and, c. How to install them. In the meantime I am using Android Auto which allows me to sync my android phone to the car's Sync3 and use Google Maps for navigation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 12:10 AM, william anderson said:

I have had several bad experiences with the maps in my 2018 Ecosport Sync3 Navigation System being out of date. I have tried finding out from Ford if there are updates. The best I can say about that is any questions on the subject sends the Ford "help" agent into the jabber mod. So far I have not been able to get coherent answers on : a. If there are updates;  b. How to get them; and, c. How to install them. In the meantime I am using Android Auto which allows me to sync my android phone to the car's Sync3 and use Google Maps for navigation.

Hi William, go here: https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/resources-and-support/sync-bluetooth/update#/

Enter the VIN number from your car (if you don't know it you can find it outside the car on the dashboard visible through the windscreen).

It will tell you if there is an update. Once you have completed the update (there are downloadable instructions) it will create a log file in the SyncMyRide folder which you then upload to the Ford site to confirm it completed successfully

However one warning, if you need a Sync3 update it will make you do that first before offering you the map update.

You will need a USB memory stick to copy the files onto, minimum 32Gb for the maps update and 4Gb for the Sync3 update so a 32Gb will cover both updates.

• 1 month later...

Tried to format a USB pen drive and it formatted it from 4+Gb to 250Mb, using ExFat as the instructions wanted, so obviously not big enough. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong please?

To update, I got another USB and formatted it again, but changed the file allocation size to 256Mb. This worked fine. I then downloaded the update onto the USB, plugged it in and went for a drive. 15 minutes and done, log file created. Loaded that back onto the relevant section and it confirmed success.

I then checked for map updates, it said it was c25Gb! Current stick too small (16Gb) so now need another. Will get one and try again. Nearly there.

Finally. I got another stick then started the marathon download. Left it running overnight so not sure how long it took (I'm on around 35Mb/s). Did the upload on a run today, fits part completed in about 30 minutes, Powered down, restarted, and this time it took around 40 minutes. It reported Installation complete and to remove the USB, even though printed instructions said not to remove. I did take it out, restarted, and it said update successful in the car. However, when I later went to upload the log file it wasn't there. O downloaded a small utility (see the FAQs), put that in the car and it completed the log file step in about 30 secs. Uploaded the log file again, then after a couple of minutes checked online again and all is now up to date.

Hope this helps others.

• Like 1

How do you guys get the maps update? I updated my focus with the latest software, uploaded the .xml file that was left on my memory stick in SyncMyRide folder, web site then said that my software was all up to date, no more updates, and …. that my maps software is up to date.

I'll me damned if my maps are up to date - knowing some of the major motorway works that were completed some time ago near me, and the maps show me driving through empty fields of cows :)

Reading what people have had to do to update the navigation maps, it just doesn't look like it's worth the hassle. Why did Ford make it so complicated? Real stupid.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2019 at 12:01 AM, Mister B said:

How do you guys get the maps update? I updated my focus with the latest software, uploaded the .xml file that was left on my memory stick in SyncMyRide folder, web site then said that my software was all up to date, no more updates, and …. that my maps software is up to date.

I'll me damned if my maps are up to date - knowing some of the major motorway works that were completed some time ago near me, and the maps show me driving through empty fields of cows 🙂

I did as you have said and it said mine needed the update. Looking now it says it is all up to date. One road that was missing previously on mine is now there, can't comment on more recent changes.

Me to ford: "blah blah updated latest version of sync blah blah maps out of date blah blah the maps. How out of date are they?..."

Ford: "...as the maps are supplied by a third party,. the updates are provided to us once available. I am aware that we are expecting a maps update in the early months of 2020. Thanks ^Andrew"

Me: "ok thankyou apricated. Any idea how often the maps are usually updated?"

Ford: "We don't have a confirmed time frame, our third party supplier does look to provide an update as quickly as they become available. Thanks ^Jenna"

Translation - Ford are extremely poor at keeping their maps up to date.

🙂

• 5 months later...

Thought I would try again, look for maps updates. Apparently nothing still!

• 6 months later...

I downloaded them latest sync 3 files, created a USB drive and ran the update, update finished and said update complete remove USB drive. 

I checked the f/w and the map versions and both are showing the latest version. 

My issues is each time I turn the sync system on I get a screen saying "installation in progress " please keep usb in the system and the engine running so it can complete",  I press the close button any everything works as it should, It's Just annoying too keep getting this messages.

I've tried a full reset the whole system, still gets the message, I've created a new USB stick (kept the original as is) no different. 

When you put the usb stick in it says updating system, within about 30 seconds it says update complete remove USB, I do that follow the power on off cycle as in the documentation and when I turn the unit on up pops the message. 

It obviously finished the install as it wrote the file to the usb stick that you upload to the ford site to notify them the car sync system has been updated.

Not sure where to go now, tried ford help line useless, directed me to a help line at £1 per minute.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this. It wrote the required file to the usb stick which I uploaded to the Ford updated page so it shows the update completed ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Checked the website yesterday - update available. Installed in car last night (told me to remove usb after the update, restarted, then said it needed the usb still in there, put it back in, waited, it updated something else, completed - all was good. After all that - uploaded log file to ford site - all successful. Then checked for updates again - currently downloading 22gb of map updates!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would update with my latest install experience for others reference...

• 22gb update
  • Website said to give it 80 minutes for the update
  • Used a USB caddy with an SSD in rather than a USB memory stick (didn't have any big enough lying around, and ssd is way faster for copying data onto)
    • This worked fine with the car for me!
  • Update in car said it would take around 60 minutes
  • Update took around 80 minutes and on restart it then started.....
  • ......part 2 of the update, which took another hourish
  • Wanted a couple of key restarts of the car
  • Id left USB plugged in, after it all finished, it notified me that it had found updates and was about to start them again. No thank you, whipped it out.
  • Updated to version 9 I think it is of the maps
  • User interface has changed a bit
  • Don't seem to be able to change the colour of everything any more (it's all blue, clashes a bit with my car's interior, 😞 )
  • According to the web site after uploading the .xml log file, I'm now all up to date (despite it saying it had found more updates again while the usb was plugged in. Obviously hadn't)

I suspect it actually had 2 updates outstanding.

Still can't connect to my wifi 🙂

Would like to check now that the maps are up to date by it not showing me driving through farmers' fields when I'm turning onto the M1, but lockdowns rather getting in the way of that.

M.

• 3 weeks later...

Just done the latest software update.  90 minutes to download onto a USB stick then started the car up and plugged the stick in, drove for 10 minutes and then it said remove USB and stop the car and re start . Every thing went fine , came home and went to the Ford site and entered my log file and it came up successful, job done. I was a bag of nerves all the time I was doing it as I know that things can go wrong but nothing did go wrong every thing went perfectly to plan. 

After all the fuss updating sync3 I have found out that all it does is add Alexa and the web site says to download the Ford+Alexa app onto my phone but when I enter Ford+Alexa in the app store it says it's not heard of it, so no luck there , it's in an American voice so I wonder if it's not available over here, needless to say it was all a waste of time as I won't be using it.

New here so bear with me!  I finally got offered the Ford map update (F9). Followed instructions to the T , but what was strange was that there was no part 1 or 2 to the installation. After 80mins it told me to turn off engine, lock car wait 2 mins etc etc, which i duly did. Then i restarted the car and it said installation complete. I was expecting a part 2 at this point.I  took the stick out as it suggested , tried to upload the log to Ford and it said incorrect file.In other words the update did not supply the log file. So i downloaded and unzipped the file supplied by Ford to correct this, stuck the stick in the car and instead of getting an upload file it said ERROR.But it  also says against the SYNC menu that the map is now version F9.

What do i do now? do i download the map update zip file again and re-do the whole thing? your help please asap!  Thanks!

Don't think I should have posted this in the comments here but as i've said I'm new to this forum and to forums generally!  Any help appreciated though!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club